GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with how MyLink integrates with Windows 10 Mobile/Windows Phone? I'm looking for a list of functionality and any impressions.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Does anyone have experience with how MyLink integrates with Windows 10 Mobile/Windows Phone? I'm looking for a list of functionality and any impressions.
I did a quick search for 'windows' in the electonic pdf file of 2016 MyLink manual and came up empty. So I'm not sure if there is any compatability with that phone.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
As far as I know there is no integration other than the standard hands-free functionality via Blutooth and USB music playback. I don't believe that there's any equivalent to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for Windows.

Windows got left in the dust by Apple and Android in the mobile marketplace and now it looks like Microsoft is throwing in the towel on it. Some people are perfectly happy using the standard web and messaging apps with their Windows phones, but if you're buying any sort of third party hardware like a remote-controllable digital camera, home automation equipment, or (of course) automobiles then you're almost sure to be out of luck for phone integration with Windows. The manufacturers, including GM, just don't seem to be willing to invest the money to develop the needed software for such a small share of the mobile market.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a Lumia 950 XL (Windows 10 Mobile) paired with my 2017 Volt. Pairing was easy and worked without issue. Here is what I have found:

- Phone Calls:
Support for bluetooth calling w/contact list integration including contact photos

- Text Messages:
The texts app on the radio works fine and can display received messages which can be read, listened to, responded to, etc...

- Audio
Bluetooth audio with ID3 tag support (does not appear to support album art over bluetooth but I haven't tested it much).

There is no support that I can see for Pandora and obviously no projection functionality like CarPlay/Android Auto.

The Windows version of the OnStar RemoteLink app can interface with the car (e.g. keyfob commands, status updates, etc...). It is missing a few items from the Android version (notably the WiFi hotspot usage) but in general works well enough.

Full disclosure - I am currently looking for an Android phone to switch to as I want something that is a little more compatible with the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use a 640 and agree with what is noted above, and want to add that if phone is plugged in with usb you can browse your music from the driver display using the steering wheel controls. Also, you can trigger cortana through Bluetooth by long pressing the call button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use a 640 and agree with what is noted above, and want to add that if phone is plugged in with usb you can browse your music from the driver display using the steering wheel controls. Also, you can trigger cortana by long pressing the call button on the steering wheel.
Thanks to both dannycamps and Yipsan -- several of their tips are new to me. I'll be trying them out with my Lumia 830.

One thing I've found is that, if I start Spotify from my phone and then proceed with driving, all is well until/unless the streaming is interrupted while performing certain other functions on the Infotainment screen, at which point I cannot resume Spotify except by restarting it on the phone...which of course I can't afford to do while driving the vehicle.

Bruce

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all reporting so far. The described functionality is more than enough. I would consider more functionality to be distracting for driving anyway.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have a Lumia 950 XL (Windows 10 Mobile) paired with my 2017 Volt. Pairing was easy and worked without issue. Here is what I have found:

- Phone Calls:
Support for bluetooth calling w/contact list integration including contact photos

- Text Messages:
The texts app on the radio works fine and can display received messages which can be read, listened to, responded to, etc...

- Audio
Bluetooth audio with ID3 tag support (does not appear to support album art over bluetooth but I haven't tested it much).

There is no support that I can see for Pandora and obviously no projection functionality like CarPlay/Android Auto.

The Windows version of the OnStar RemoteLink app can interface with the car (e.g. keyfob commands, status updates, etc...). It is missing a few items from the Android version (notably the WiFi hotspot usage) but in general works well enough.

Full disclosure - I am currently looking for an Android phone to switch to as I want something that is a little more compatible with the car.
Good to know for the small percentage of people using that phone OS. However, it also shows another example of R&D not communicating with those in charge of documentation of owners manual or mylink manual.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, the described Windows 10 Mobile functionality in the replies is implied in the 2017 MyLink manual. These functions are described in generic terms. Those specific to iOS or Android devices are called out that way. I wasn't sure but the responses have confirmed this to be the case.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Actually, the described Windows 10 Mobile functionality in the replies is implied in the 2017 MyLink manual. These functions are described in generic terms. Those specific to iOS or Android devices are called out that way. I wasn't sure but the responses have confirmed this to be the case.
Okay. It makes a little more sense, but it would be nice if they put in one sentence at the beginning of the phone section to say what OS are covered since they obviously went to some effort to make a variety phones compatible. That way consumers aren't forced to find info in less than ideal conditions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the info in this thread. I also am one of the ten people still running Windows Phone, and have no plans to migrate off of it. It sounds like the functionality is more than enough, and that is a neat trick to activate Cortana, so thanks! If I have a problem with the Volt its that apparently they removed HD Radio support. I am going to try and figure out if there is any way to add it back in, that is a major loss for me.

I'd also love to figure out a way to integrate an Echo/Alexa with the car. I am using that for virtually everything else at home nowadays.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info in this thread. I also am one of the ten people still running Windows Phone, and have no plans to migrate off of it. It sounds like the functionality is more than enough, and that is a neat trick to activate Cortana, so thanks! If I have a problem with the Volt its that apparently they removed HD Radio support. I am going to try and figure out if there is any way to add it back in, that is a major loss for me.

I'd also love to figure out a way to integrate an Echo/Alexa with the car. I am using that for virtually everything else at home nowadays.
Please do share if you get hd radio added. Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reflex, I suggest you open a separate thread on HD radio. That way we can discuss it separately from the topic of this thread. I have some thought but would prefer to share them in a separate thread.

P.S. We just bought our 950XL Windows 10 mobile phones, so there are at least seven others out there (in addition to the three of us) with the phone. We like them so much better than iPhones or Android phones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reflex, I suggest you open a separate thread on HD radio. That way we can discuss it separately from the topic of this thread. I have some thought but would prefer to share them in a separate thread.

P.S. We just bought our 950XL Windows 10 mobile phones, so there are at least seven others out there (in addition to the three of us) with the phone. We like them so much better than iPhones or Android phones.
As you requested, here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?246082-HD-Radio-Support

1 - 14 of 14 Posts