GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Plus1. The last thing I remember from GM concerning the addition of more Voltec models was there would be nothing new until after the next generation Volt. Not sure how the ELS fits into that, since it is almost in the showrooms now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
As much as we'd all love to see a full lineup of Voltec vehicles right now, we have to really put in context the small market that currently exists for plug-in cars and be realistic. It just doesn't make financial sense for GM to make 3+ Voltec cars at the moment.

I will say that I'm somewhat surprised they chose to make their second Voltec vehicle a luxury version, when the Volt is already pretty luxurious, imho. I guess it doubles as a performance version as well, but that's a small market in of itself. It really seems like it would have made more sense to come out with the small-SUV version first.

Ford has a good thing going here in the CMax the first true American competitor to the regular Prius. I can't believe it's taken this long for an American company to do that. I think the Energi plug-in version is a little bit of an afterthought for them. We'll have to see if they produce it in earnest, or more for show/regulation/future like the Focus EV.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Plus1. The last thing I remember from GM concerning the addition of more Voltec models was there would be nothing new until after the next generation Volt. Not sure how the ELS fits into that, since it is almost in the showrooms now.
The ELS is a year away from the showroom, so maybe not so near. Why would GM make their intentions known? So that Faux News can pound on them for months before the new model(s) arrives? The ELS became "official" through a slip by a supplier, not exactly what GM wanted.

The heavy publicity on the pre-production Volt was more than likely to show that GM has good ideas and deserved to be saved. Which I think is 100% accurate. Now that their status is much more solid, they need to play the game differently.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I still think the MPV5 or "CrossVolt" looks pretty cool:

·
Registered
481 Posts

This Buick Encore running on Voltec (as the 'Electra') would work for me!

·
Registered
505 Posts
IT would be an interesting marketing choice for the MP5: either (1) build it as a Voltec drop-in drivetrain of an existing popular car (e.g. Equinox), or (2) Give it it's own identity and look, like the Volt. Or I guess as originally proposed, (3) a bigger "Volt", explicitly marketed as a Volt (like the Prius V, etc).

I'm not sure which I'd pick. All have various merits. (1) would give it the most exposure, e.g. the thousands of people buying an equinox each month would probably at least be exposed to it by the salesperson. (2) Would give the most initial excitement. (3) Would help justify it's price and clearly convey what it is.

·
1,101 Posts
As much as we'd all love to see a full lineup of Voltec vehicles right now, we have to really put in context the small market that currently exists for plug-in cars and be realistic. It just doesn't make financial sense for GM to make 3+ Voltec cars at the moment.
-------------------------------------------------------

I disagree with that statement. Isn't it just as likely that the sale of GM electrics is being limited by the fact that there is only one model from GM????

GM can't expect larger volumes of voltec sales with only a single model of vehicle on the road. The current Volt works fine for me. My wife has no problem with the idea of an electric, but she would never transfer back to a sedan. She loves her small SUV. If GM wants to sell voltec to people that they have convinced through 20+ years of advertising that they must drive an SUV, then they have to have a model in the showrooms that they can show and sell!

Same same thing for truck owners, and sports car owners, etc.

One model does not suit all needs.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The MPV5 (as pictured by MTN Ranger) is based on the 2010 "Orlando" platform, a vehicle actually now on sale in Europe and a few other places. It shared the Delta II platform of both the Volt and the Cruze. It's also a 7 passenger vehicle which is awesome.

I feel GM needs to (as Zod sort of indicates) meet the current plug in demand with the 3 Voltec models; or in othe words, "milk" the market dry of all potential buyers for a 4 passenger upscale sedan...timing is key here though, they need to be ready to jump in at the right time when that market gets saturated, and have the Voltec SUV whatever it is based on, ready to launch the moment the market is right for it...or someone else will grab it...and sorry Prius and Energi fans, your vehicles are *NOT* EVs.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Great article, Voltastic! I hope the MPV5 or the Voltec Orlando is one of the two 'surprises' mentioned!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bet they're counting the ELR as one of the surprises. I don't think they ever fully announced it, so I guess it counts.

·
Registered
505 Posts
-------------------------------------------------------

I disagree with that statement. Isn't it just as likely that the sale of GM electrics is being limited by the fact that there is only one model from GM????

GM can't expect larger volumes of voltec sales with only a single model of vehicle on the road. The current Volt works fine for me. My wife has no problem with the idea of an electric, but she would never transfer back to a sedan. She loves her small SUV. If GM wants to sell voltec to people that they have convinced through 20+ years of advertising that they must drive an SUV, then they have to have a model in the showrooms that they can show and sell!

Same same thing for truck owners, and sports car owners, etc.

One model does not suit all needs.
I don't necessarily disagree with you but a couple things to play devil's advocate:

- GM has shown no interest in putting the chicken before the egg with the Volt. They kept volume down for a long time. So much so that dealers around me often had 1 or none, much less one with the options i'd want. So I don't see them being even more aggressive with Voltec overall.

- The prius did just fine as the only real option for a hybrid from Toyota. They sold only the Prius in North America for 6 years before introducing other models (Camry, Highlander). Even longer in Japan. And now Toyota remains the hybrid king. Considering we are getting a 2nd Voltec vehicle under 3 years after the Volt (ELR next fall), I'd consider that pretty aggressive in comparison and for the car industry in general.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Zod @ #4

I have to agree with you. If I were GM I would think twice before putting a few $100 million in the pot to develop a new Voltec vehicle before I sold a few more volts.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I always liked the Equinox, but the MPV5 blows it away - Imagine the efficiency, and

oil cost reductions. Let's say hi to a great CUV Voltec. Build it please.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts