GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting pretty tired of seeing all the suits show up in pictures with the Volt.

If GM really wants to get the image right, ditch the suits. Get a Steve Jobs type as the mouth of this car and it will truly hit a nerve with the target market.

Not to mention they'll be able to save several thousands of dollars on their wardrobe.

·
3,689 Posts
I agree they need to hire a very cool marketing company to launch the EREV concept and the Volt. No, not the company they used for the EV1. They were horrible. The marketing needs to have a fresh feel. Like the launching of the next generation of cars yet also inform about what the car is and what it will do. Not too environmental, no too Middle Eastern, etc. It's going to be tough to figure out the right message but I hope they remember the golden rule - sex sells. ;)

·
Banned
597 Posts
Bob Lutz

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting pretty tired of seeing all the suits show up in pictures with the Volt.

If GM really wants to get the image right, ditch the suits. Get a Steve Jobs type as the mouth of this car and it will truly hit a nerve with the target market.

Not to mention they'll be able to save several thousands of dollars on their wardrobe.
Do you think having Bob Lutz proclaiming that global warming is a hoax helps warm people to the Volt? Sounds like a finger in the eye of most potential buyers.

I guess I question whether Lutz is smarter than the scientists on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

·
Registered
428 Posts
"Do you think having Bob Lutz proclaiming that global warming is a hoax helps warm people to the Volt?"

Fortunately, some people still value the truth.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Huh?

"Do you think having Bob Lutz proclaiming that global warming is a hoax helps warm people to the Volt?"

Fortunately, some people still value the truth.
The truth according to Lutz! That's a non-starter. I prefer to believe preeminent scientists to a sleazy marketing guy working for a bankrupt car company.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The truth according to Lutz! That's a non-starter. I prefer to believe preeminent scientists to a sleazy marketing guy working for a bankrupt car company.

I'm not sure why you limit yourself to those options. I prefer to believe the truth. Of course appealing to authority does save time in the short run.

·
3,689 Posts
Fortunately for skeptics of global warming there are many more reasons to want a Volt. That is why I think the marketing campaign should not be too environmental. It will turn away a lot of uneducated (or people that do not trust science) from buying into the hype.

Let's face it, global warming is not guaranteed. We will never know the real reason, we may not be able to fix the problem and we know the Earth is able to repair itself eventually (The end of the dinosaurs was caused by an asteroid that filled the atmosphere with a quantity of CO2 multiple numbers higher than what we could possibly do).

We don't need to say how we will fix the global warming problem. All that needs to be said is that it is good for the environment and good for making the city streets clean and quiet.

Here are some suggestions (please add your own):

1) City location: Very attractive young couple driving around the city enjoying the fun times. They stop in a traffic jam and all the cars are electric. It's quiet and the couple is just looking around admiring the sounds and life of the street. Perhaps friends from several cars over say “hi” or something. You have covered the basics - a guy can get a date with the car, it makes you happy, it makes the environment more clean and quiet, your friends will respect you, the economy is booming.

2) Informational: Show the volt from a helicopter like overview. It is driving around different locations and weather conditions. The announcer is telling all about what the car can do, how it's good for the environment and how it allows many different forms of fuel to be used so we are not reliant on petroleum (hard to convey that message).

3) Charging: Show how the daily charging works. Have the car driving past the gasoline station pumps. Have the people at the gas pumps watching the Volt driving by. They then look down at the dirty gas pump. Volt - There is a better way. The last shot is of the Volt driving through a green field on a beautiful and fresh day. Simple and fresh.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Agree with you

Fortunately for skeptics of global warming there are many more reasons to want a Volt. That is why I think the marketing campaign should not be too environmental. It will turn away a lot of uneducated (or people that do not trust science) from buying into the hype.

Let's face it, global warming is not guaranteed. We will never know the real reason, we may not be able to fix the problem and we know the Earth is able to repair itself eventually (The end of the dinosaurs was caused by an asteroid that filled the atmosphere with a quantity of CO2 multiple numbers higher than what we could possibly do).

We don't need to say how we will fix the global warming problem. All that needs to be said is that it is good for the environment and good for making the city streets clean and quiet.

Here are some suggestions (please add your own):

1) City location: Very attractive young couple driving around the city enjoying the fun times. They stop in a traffic jam and all the cars are electric. It's quiet and the couple is just looking around admiring the sounds and life of the street. Perhaps friends from several cars over say “hi” or something. You have covered the basics - a guy can get a date with the car, it makes you happy, it makes the environment more clean and quiet, your friends will respect you, the economy is booming.

2) Informational: Show the volt from a helicopter like overview. It is driving around different locations and weather conditions. The announcer is telling all about what the car can do, how it's good for the environment and how it allows many different forms of fuel to be used so we are not reliant on petroleum (hard to convey that message).

3) Charging: Show how the daily charging works. Have the car driving past the gasoline station pumps. Have the people at the gas pumps watching the Volt driving by. They then look down at the dirty gas pump. Volt - There is a better way. The last shot is of the Volt driving through a green field on a beautiful and fresh day. Simple and fresh.
You are much smarter than some on this board. GM should adopt a BP strategy and appeal to environmentalists. Plus, GM should appeal to those who want independence from foreign oil.

Lutz should be fired. He is a disaster and only appeals to GM insiders and Kool-aid drinkers -- there are a few of these knuckleheads on this board.

Get this, GM knuckleheads, if you want to continue your stupidity with idiots like Lutz, the government should flush you down.

·
Banned
597 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
"Do you really want to see GM die because they want to disavow global warming?"

WTF are you talking about? It's not enough for GM to build the car? They have to convince "greens" that they need it?

·
Banned
597 Posts
Pay Attention!

"Do you really want to see GM die because they want to disavow global warming?"

WTF are you talking about? It's not enough for GM to build the car? They have to convince "greens" that they need it?
No, it is not enough. If you want a bailout for continuing to ignore GM's destruction of Earth, good luck! Contrition from morons like Lutz and posters on this board might help. If you can't do it, then you should be flushed.

Lutz is a pimple on the ass of progress.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Say you're sorry Lutz! You made Baby Jesus cry! Just say you're sorry! If you don't say you're sorry, then we won't buy the Volt and then the earth will be destroyed, and then you really will be sorry!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It IS possible to be an environmentalist without partaking of the anthropogenic global warming Kool-Aid. Some prefer their science without a heavy helping of politics.

·
3,689 Posts
Remember that the "Global Warming" argument is a good way for countries and companies to work on displacing current energy systems without it seeming like they are destroying the current structure. That would get powerful people and exporting nations very angry. Who wants that trouble? Global warming sounds so nice and benign.

"Hey! Are you messing with my paycheck?" "Why no, Mr. Petrol. I'm just trying to save the whales." :) See how non-threatening is that? Just think what the Middle East will be like if the world transitions away from using petroleum in the next decade. It's not a pretty picture.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Global Warming

Is officially dead and banned from this board. PDT and I debated it until we agreed to disagree on a few small points. I think it was 12 or 13 pages. No point on going there, here, all over again. China is building dirty coal fired dirty plants as fast as they can. It's an irrelevant argument. Unless you like to argue. :)

·
Banned
597 Posts
Banned?

Is officially dead and banned from this board. PDT and I debated it until we agreed to disagree on a few small points. I think it was 12 or 13 pages. No point on going there, here, all over again. China is building dirty coal fired dirty plants as fast as they can. It's an irrelevant argument. Unless you like to argue. :)
I agree that it is pointless to argue with someone who won't ever change their mind. I do wonder about the comment about politics over science. Is a worldwide body of preeminent scientists, like the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a political body? If so, I guess that there is no source of information based on science that isn't political.

The good news is that most open-minded people realize that global warming is caused by man. The bad news is they don't necessarily care enough to do anything about it. Of course, only our children and grandchildren and all future generations will pay the price.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Exactly

Is a worldwide body of preeminent scientists, like the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a political body?/QUOTE]

yes

Yes

YES

It is not pre eminent scientists, and it is purely political. That's why there are so many nay sayers. For heaven's askes, 83% of the US population does not believe man causes global warming. I guess we are all dumb shiatts.

If it was not a political panel, then why is there no appointed "scientific" body to study the alternative ? That the evidence shows man does not cause global warming ?? That way the UN could hear BOTH sides. They didn't even considere that. Bogus. Totally arrogant. Not Science, Vern. Thats just the tip of the ice berg. It's a phony crock. The original editor, the technical editor, started to question the politics between releases of the report. Now he is kicked out. It's a panel set up to hear what they want to hear. They are not even looking into any differing opinions. It is not science, and it is not scientific. Al Gore ?? Since when is he a scientist ?? Come on !! Even worse, it's "modeling" which is highly bogus. Change parameter to reach desired conclusions. Not science, but a self perpetuating money funding scheme. Draw your own conclusions.

I am releasing CO2, drink up friends, the end is near !!!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts