GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,689 Posts
I keep hearing the Volt will be silent, however I'm concerned when I watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CViDfkmT7uw

I realize this is just the concept, but how could it possibly be that loud?

Ha! That would suck. It reminds me of another problem poorly designed electric cars have - inverter whine. It a high pitched noise when you step on the gas. Very irritating.

Don't worry slide83, that motor in the video is out of a golf cart or some other toy. It's just used to get the concept car around the showroom floor. The real motor is a beauty as are the electronics driving it. It will be solid and sound great (just like the EV1). Sleep well.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sounds good to me.

hi all,
With the advances in technology over the last forty years you do think we're finally going to move forward concerning car design? Is having four wheels and a piston gas engine as far as we're going to get? NOT!
Although the GM electric platform is still a ways short of the flying cars promised by the Jetsons, we're looking good for a big step forward.

To address the issue of "sound" using electric drive. I can tell you that it is a deep rrrrrruuuurrrr. Not a whine sound. And on decel it is a whooooorrrrrahhh sound.
Here's food for thought: The Volt platform with interchangeable body shells and adjustable governor settings for the motor(s)? 90% scale Corvette shell, maybe a Camaro 2dr shell, Solstice shell? An engine setting for half range at 50% more HP? 4 wheel electric drive?

To conclude: Here's a hot clip of an EV running the quarter mile in a very respectable time. And, by-the-way, this vehicle comes with a 10 minute fast charger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtAkM3CYLA

twist

·
Registered
200 Posts
hi all,
With the advances in technology over the last forty years you do think we're finally going to move forward concerning car design? Is having four wheels and a piston gas engine as far as we're going to get? NOT!
Although the GM electric platform is still a ways short of the flying cars promised by the Jetsons, we're looking good for a big step forward.

To address the issue of "sound" using electric drive. I can tell you that it is a deep rrrrrruuuurrrr. Not a whine sound. And on decel it is a whooooorrrrrahhh sound.
Here's food for thought: The Volt platform with interchangeable body shells and adjustable governor settings for the motor(s)? 90% scale Corvette shell, maybe a Camaro 2dr shell, Solstice shell? An engine setting for half range at 50% more HP? 4 wheel electric drive?

To conclude: Here's a hot clip of an EV running the quarter mile in a very respectable time. And, by-the-way, this vehicle comes with a 10 minute fast charger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtAkM3CYLA

twist
Ah, dreams...

The Volt is *NOT* HyWire, the fuel-cell skateboard concept. It's not. No car company wants the interchangeable-shell thing in production, because people could buy fewer cars. That's not good for the business model.

The Volt itself represents a huge step forward, and too many advances rolled into one production vehicle in one design cycle would likely be disastrous for reliability and durability. I'll be happy to see the Volt successfully manufactured more or less as it's been outlined now, and hope that in the next model cycle one of the GM marques comes out with a proper wagon e-flex vehicle. My Legacy Wagon will be a bit old by then. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
A dream and $2.79 will buy a cup of coffee...

hi GearheadGeek,

I know you are right. And I feel the same way about having a smooth dependable daily driver that provides a respectable 0-60 time of under 9 seconds.

The body mods will be done by the public. And you know they will. After having seen a Bentley front end on a VW Beatle I am convinced.

I live in Santa Barbara where Mayor Blum has backed alternative energy and hybrid use for more than 10 years. It has made a difference. The large city buses are hybrids (no clouds of brown smoke). We have a fleet of electric shuttles which provide quiet transportation for thousands daily (lead batteries). The city co-sponsors these by charging just 25 cents for a one-way ride. The Police Department uses bicycles and electric carts for parking enforcement. I drive an EV (GEM) on my job as I provide Security for a large local business. Local retirement homes use EV's for trips to the supermarket. The city florist delivers via EV. The local condo association grounds crews are in electric carts. And the electric utility company has just started using EV trucks for their work needs.

Is our air clean? You bet it is, each day is clear and beautiful.

My Ninja motorcycle uses at least $20 a week in gasoline. I can't imagine how some pay $20 a day for a daily commute. That's $600 a month! It's time for an American EV from GM.

twist

1 - 5 of 5 Posts