GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm on the edge of my chair waiting to find out why GM wants to start MY17 in Feb of 16.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Some of the dealers in non-rollout states took pre-orders based on the initial rollout schedule. Wonder what's going to happen with those?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm on the edge of my chair waiting to find out why GM wants to start MY17 in Feb of 16.
Because when marketing asked non-Carb state dealers how many they'd like the response was akin to "don't call me, I'll call you".

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Because when marketing asked non-Carb state dealers how many they'd like the response was akin to "don't call me, I'll call you".
How does changing the model year address that?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think there may be a very simple reason for the short 2016 model year. GM must need to balance or get a head start on CAFE and or CO2 requirements. They have been selling the dickens out of suv's and trucks and need to offset the hit to CAFE. I recall a similar situation in 1998 with Suburbans. 1998 was a very short model year, maybe just a quarter, then 1999 Suburban's came out and ran for well over a year. I actually ended up buying two 1999's because of that. I never heard an actual reason other than conjecture at the dealer about CAFE timing. And, as I can recall, the 1998 and 1999 Suburban's were identical.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I think there may be a very simple reason for the short 2016 model year. GM must need to balance or get a head start on CAFE and or CO2 requirements. They have been selling the dickens out of suv's and trucks and need to offset the hit to CAFE. I recall a similar situation in 1998 with Suburbans. 1998 was a very short model year, maybe just a quarter, then 1999 Suburban's came out and ran for well over a year. I actually ended up buying two 1999's because of that. I never heard an actual reason other than conjecture at the dealer about CAFE timing. And, as I can recall, the 1998 and 1999 Suburban's were identical.
How does a manufacturer satisfy the CAFE requirement? Is it based on the number of vehicles sold in a calendar year or is it based on the model year the manufacturer assigns to the sold vehicles? Maybe GM anticipates the Spark will not sell very well in the future because the Bolt will be arriving in the next year of so. Therefore, they are pushing the Gen 2 Volt out a year to make up the loss and to meet the CAFE requirement.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
How does a manufacturer satisfy the CAFE requirement? Is it based on the number of vehicles sold in a calendar year or is it based on the model year the manufacturer assigns to the sold vehicles? Maybe GM anticipates the Spark will not sell very well in the future because the Bolt will be arriving in the next year of so. Therefore, they are pushing the Gen 2 Volt out a year to make up the loss and to meet the CAFE requirement.
Plus,meow is mazda meeting the cafe requirement having no hybrid cars whatsoever? And what about all the exotic vehicles ownered by Californians (ferraris, lambos, Porsches, maseratis).?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
From Wikipedia – “The CAFE standards in a given model year define the CAFE levels that manufacturers' fleets are required to meet in that model year, specific levels depending on the characteristics and mix of vehicles produced by each manufacturer. If the average fuel economy of a manufacturer's annual fleet of vehicle production falls below the applicable requirement, the manufacturer must either apply sufficient CAFE credits (see below) to cover the shortfall or pay a penalty…”

If I understand this description, the model year defined by the manufacturer is the key to the computation of the CAFÉ standard. So I suppose, if a manufacturer expects to have a problem with meeting the standard in a future year, they could have more alternative vehicles labeled with that future model year for sale.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
From Wikipedia – “The CAFE standards in a given model year define the CAFE levels that manufacturers' fleets are required to meet in that model year, specific levels depending on the characteristics and mix of vehicles produced by each manufacturer. If the average fuel economy of a manufacturer's annual fleet of vehicle production falls below the applicable requirement, the manufacturer must either apply sufficient CAFE credits (see below) to cover the shortfall or pay a penalty…”

If I understand this description, the model year defined by the manufacturer is the key to the computation of the CAFÉ standard. So I suppose, if a manufacturer expects to have a problem with meeting the standard in a future year, they could have more alternative vehicles labeled with that future model year for sale.
So what is Gm releasing in 2017 that is going to be a problem. Nearly every chevy is 30+ MPHpG (except for the trucks and SUVs). Or is cafe grsdually increasing the mileage requirements? Maybe gm plans to sell a bunch of suburban/Yukon/escalades or bring back the hummer?

·
Registered
985 Posts
SO if I am reading this correctly....
Middle earth - (center US states) will only be able to get GEN2 in early to mid part of 2016 and it will be the 2017 model, while CALi and other CARB states get the 2016 model...
Wow.... an entire model year of GM wonder - is only given to sele3cted states?

I love you GM, but you are making my feel like second class citizen - is it because of Rick Perry or the whole Texas secede thing?
I am loosing fate in you GM.

PS: don't let the media know about this fiesco.

·
Registered
110 Posts
At first announcement it was said that the first production run would have an engine made at the Mexico plant until the US plant completed it's changeover. I wonder if the short 16 model year might have anything to do with that. Maybe the 17 will mark the start of the complete changeover of the US plant.
February is the earliest I've seen a manufacturer announce the next model year, although I did buy a 14 Ducati in May of 13. I guess production of it could have started as early as February

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
672 Posts
GM is selling lots of big trucks to other states like Texas, and the sale of all those gas guzzlers will impact their overall mpg???

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
GM is selling lots of big trucks to other states like Texas, and the sale of all those gas guzzlers will impact their overall mpg???
No, there are 4 categories. Small cars, largeer cars, small light trucks larger light trucks, each with their own mileage requirements. So car companies can sell as many trucks and SUVs as they want as long as their average mpg reaches a certain target. So if they make a light truck which is over the mileage requirement, they better sell a bunch that are under the requirement to make up for it. That means truck owners who want big v8s might be forced to buy V6s at some point. My hope is that they voltec the big bad trucks like silverados and suburbans and completely demolish the cafe mileage targets.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Whatever GM's reason, it looks like I will be forced to look elsewhere for my next vehicle.
Wait, you can't wait 6 months to buy your next vehicle? It seems silly to walk away from a Gen2 just because you can't have it now. Buy a $1000 beater to hold you over, borrow a family or friend's car, or keep driving your current car a little longer (assuming you didn't lease your current car). I don't know how many times I need to harp on people to stop seeking immediate pleasure and look at the longer term. Going to any other car other than a gen1 or gen2 volt even though the volt is superior in every aspect (except cargo and passenger space) is silly. Look at the 3-6 years of incredible MPG you'd get from a volt and show me a better vehicle for the money.

That said, I'm probably waiting 2 or 3 years before getting a Volt Gen 2, but that's only because I like buying cars near the middle or end of their product cycle after the initial "you must pay near MSRP" supply and demand craziness works it's way out. People who bought the first Miatas, the first BmW Z3s, the first Priuses, and any car where they had no negotiating power or sometimes paid over MSRP were foolish.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am not a happy camper at all about this especially since I did a pre-order with deposit based on prior GM publication to dealers. In the long list of Auto Industry Trade Practices regs as well as FTC Unfair Trade Practices, there are some aspects where GM might be found lacking. In the interim I have sent an email to their CEO on this issue. Feel free to do the same if you feel slighted by this short sighted policy. Her email is:
[email protected]

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
I am not a happy camper at all about this especially since I did a pre-order with deposit based on prior GM publication to dealers. In the long list of Auto Industry Trade Practices regs as well as FTC Unfair Trade Practices, there are some aspects where GM might be found lacking. In the interim I have sent an email to their CEO on this issue. Feel free to do the same if you feel slighted by this short sighted policy. Her email is:
[email protected]
How is this rollout any different than the grn1 release? If you weren't paying attention in 2010 the volt was only available in limited numbers to a few states. Over time they expanded to all 50 states. Yes you feel slighted. But there are only a few 2016s getting manufactured, and if you have to wait until feb to get a 2017 model, that might actually help in a weird way. Not that I'm encouraging trading in a car so soon after purchasing, but you can drive the car over 18 months and it's still a 2017 model near the end of 2017. So if you were to resell it, you would lose less in depreciation and the poor folks getting 2016 models. They are going to be the whipping boy in feb 2016 when everyone is getting 2017 models and their cars will depreciate right away as the next model year is upon them barely 2 months into the calendar year. But if you are a buy and hold person like me, none of this matters. I take the whole hit at the buy and never sell or trade in.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My only hope is 2017 is better in every way with the Malibus mpg and technology advances rolled in.

61 - 80 of 274 Posts