GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned up my 2013 Gen 1 which was purchased early August of 2012. It still looks and drives like new. Mind you, I do not have that many kilometers on it compared to others ( about 50,000kms ) but it is pretty much all city driven going back and forth to work daily through Canadian summers and winters. I am around 95% electric with the odd day (mostly in winter) where I need to burn gas. I have had a few oil changes, mainly due to oil age vs. mileage, replaced the tires because I wanted to try to get quieter tires and had an alignment check but it was still aligned so nothing needed there. I have had a few recall campaigns done to fix various small items. Overall, no major issues.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I was probably one of the first 100 Volts purchased in all of Canada so definitely an early adopter in this country. I do not get the inquisitive looks anymore as the car is more well known now although I did get a thumbs up the other day.

This is the one car that I have purchased that I have had no regrets with. The volt is a keeper and hopefully will provide another 5 years of back and forth to work.

No that I am spoiled on electric, my other leased vehicle is up in less than a year and I am really struggling on what to do. I really do not want to buy a new vehicle unless it is electrified to some degree. I am considering a Pacifica Hybrid but you can't even build one online on the Canadian Chrysler sites. Only a dealer visit will provide numbers. I saw a few online at the lots but didn't want to get too involved so I just kicked the tires.

I may consider a 2017 Volt or even wait for the 2018's but my wife wants something at least SUV sized to replace her Encore. The Pacifica is a lot bigger than what she wants. Currently, there really is not an SUV that equals the Volt.

Hopefully something will hit the market before I have to finalize my decision! Time is running out though.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
What about a Bolt. You will still have your Volt so you won't need to rely on the Bolt for road trips which it really isn't equipped to handle, but you will be able to 100% of your local driving on electric. The Bolt should have more cargo room than the Volt because it's a CUV.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
What about a Bolt. You will still have your Volt so you won't need to rely on the Bolt for road trips which it really isn't equipped to handle, but you will be able to 100% of your local driving on electric. The Bolt should have more cargo room than the Volt because it's a CUV.
But a Bolt is not an SUV.

Mitsubishi is supposed to have a plug in Outlander, but that keeps getting delayed. I truly worry that Japan's last place automaker is getting eaten alive by Kia and Hyundai in the low price market. Volvo has the VC90 plug-in, but at $67.8k, you're within spitting distance from a lightly loaded Model X. I too am madly awaiting some $40-50K electrified SUV.

If the OP needs the new car in time for the end of the lease, it's really slim pickings. I'm waiting on the sidelines and will buy an ICE SUV if forced to. Mark my words, the day I buy an ICE SUV, in 6 months an electrified one will get released and I will be kicking myself for not waiting. My wife recently returned from a month long European vacation, and the Land Rover Discovery seems to fit the bill - it can tow 7500 pounds+ depending on the engine, getting a diesel will help on the eco side of things, and it has the passenger space for 7 or a bunch of cargo by folding down the seats. That kills two birds with one stone as opposed to buying a Suburban and a Subaru Outback.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Test drive a Bolt EV. Can't hurt. It's actually quite nice I thought. I'm looking at a Premier trim Bolt to complement my 6+ year Volt, replacing a Cadillac SRX which is nowhere near as nice to drive as the Bolt.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
There is the rumored Cadillac XT4. Assuming it happens it will be the right size, though it will be more expensive.

I wasn't impressed with the build of the Pacifica but I didn't spend much time looking at it. I'm not sure but I believe Chrysler is having some major issues. You may want to do a little research about that.

The Bolt EV might work. It sits higher and has a much larger back seat, but I'm not sure it has more cargo space.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
There is the rumored Cadillac XT4. Assuming it happens it will be the right size, though it will be more expensive.

I wasn't impressed with the build of the Pacifica but I didn't spend much time looking at it. I'm not sure but I believe Chrysler is having some major issues. You may want to do a little research about that.

The Bolt EV might work. It sits higher and has a much larger back seat, but I'm not sure it has more cargo space.
The pacifica has a recall, and dealers were told to stop selling them until they figure out how to solve the problem.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/chrysler-recalls-all-the-pacifica-hybrids-for-battery-problems/

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
They need to make a Voltec equinox (e-quinox?) already.
Ford is rumoured to make an Escape Energi, so it's only a matter of time unless GM wants to lose all small/medium SUV sales to Ford.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Buy a certified used Ford Escape hybrid (the old, square design) to tide you over for a year or two when EV selection will be better. But do drive a Bolt first.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Make sure you play this song everyday for her. And then buy her a Volt! ;)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, the current SUV (Buick Encore) although quite small, with a roof top cargo carrier can easily handle 4 plus luggage for vacation time. Tough to do in a Volt and the Bolt has range limits. I am looking for the ultimate Voltec SUV! The Encore/Trax could easily be that vehicle if they could Voltec it. Next would be the Equinox of not the Encore/Trax. I would love a Caddy SUV option but I am afraid that would impact the future retirement plans too much. I have had 3 different Caddy's and the value model really isn't there anymore, especially in Canada where the prices are always way higher.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There's the RAV4 Hybrid out now with standard AWD. Rogue has a Hybrid version as well. Someone else mentioned the Mitsu Outlander PHEV, but who knows when that will be out. Kia will have the Niro crossover PHEV towards the end of this year. Mini will have a crossover PHEV I think beginning of next year. I'd stay away from the Pacifica, Chrysler stands for crisis and the Pacifica PHEV is currently on an indefinite sales freeze until a recall fix is determined. Audi has the e-Tron hatchback which should have a bit more cargo room than a Volt. The C-MAX Energi has more passenger room than the Volt, but less cargo room in my opinion. I don't know, there are options out there, but there will be even more by the start of 2018.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Buy a certified used Ford Escape hybrid (the old, square design) to tide you over for a year or two when EV selection will be better. But do drive a Bolt first.
The FEH is too old to still be in the certified used market. Why recommend a 5+ year old car when the CMax Energi is available new and bigger than the Bolt too. She wants to stay with something larger but doesn't necessarily want an SUV. Hopefully Ford Canada has some great lease deals.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
I would love a Caddy SUV option but I am afraid that would impact the future retirement plans too much. I have had 3 different Caddy's and the value model really isn't there anymore, especially in Canada where the prices are always way higher.
My Caddy SRX will be sold when I replace it, likely with a Bolt. I'm still deciding when to buy the Bolt. End of year sale? See what the 2018 Bolt looks like by then?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Maybe something might show up this fall from GM when 2018s get released. Might be worth waiting that long to see.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
My Caddy SRX will be sold when I replace it, likely with a Bolt. I'm still deciding when to buy the Bolt. End of year sale? See what the 2018 Bolt looks like by then?
Fall 2018, when Model 3s are shipping in huge numbers and GM is forced to drop Bolt prices to get them moving.... or the model 3 has some fiasco of a flop and ex-model 3 reservers come flocking to the bolt, so you cannot get one heavily discounted and dealers are upcharging them.

Maybe something might show up this fall from GM when 2018s get released. Might be worth waiting that long to see.
No way. If Gm has some EV on the way, we would have seen it at some car show by now. They don't know how to pull a Steve Jobs "oh, and we have one more to thing...."

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Sure seems to be a pent up demand for a Voltec powered CUV/SUV even with a slightly reduced range from the Gen II Volt. EVERYTIME I get in our new 6 seat GMC Acadia I dream it had the Voltec power train. Even a 40 mile range would net me over 92% of my DD needs electric. That's what I managed with our 2012 and 2013 Volt(s).

Seems like a golden opportunity for some manufacture. I owned TWO vehicles when ONE would do.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
Sure seems to be a pent up demand for a Voltec powered CUV/SUV even with a slightly reduced range from the Gen II Volt. EVERYTIME I get in our new 6 seat GMC Acadia I dream it had the Voltec power train. Even a 40 mile range would net me over 92% of my DD needs electric. That's what I managed with our 2012 and 2013 Volt(s).

Seems like a golden opportunity for some manufacture. I owned TWO vehicles when ONE would do.
I repeat this ad nausium almost weekly. Voltec Equinox would be good. Voltec Traverse would be better. Voltec Subyukonade would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Doubt that there will be any changes to the Bolt for 2018 except for color choice, my guess is that they will rev it in 2020. It's curious that GM hasn't mentioned any other EVs in the pipeline, is the Bolt it for the next few years?

·
2,356 Posts
The pacifica has a recall, and dealers were told to stop selling them until they figure out how to solve the problem.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/chrysler-recalls-all-the-pacifica-hybrids-for-battery-problems/
That's right, the PacHy is currently on delivery hold. I have one reserved at London City Chrysler waiting for the recall to be addressed, hopefully in a month or so.

You can do a build and price here:

https://carcostcanada.com/Canada/Prices/2017-Chrysler-Pacifica_Hybrid/30121/

But it's pretty simple. For the 2017s, only the Platinum trim is available and the only option is the $1695 panoramic sunroof. Financing is 3.49% up to 84 months.

When the 2018s come out in the next few months there will be new colour combinations, a couple more trim lines available with some of the options priced differently, and it will have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts