GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The fact that the Volt has a gas engine and can go another 300 miles or so after the battery is empty makes desperately looking for a place to plug in rather stupid. Of course before buying an EV one should consider how they will charge it. Even in the city if you have reliable charging capability at home or work, there's little reason to be searching.

The reporter is showing bias.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Most vehicles are cabs, which need to run all day. So a BEV that runs out of charge is impractical. Most people walk or take pun]bloc transportation. And to afford a car and a parking spot means you are a millionaire, thus fancy luxury or sports cars.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The NYC Police has many Chevy Volts as patrol vehicles, so there is no problem on driving it in NYC. I was born in NYC and lived there, so I never neeeded any car.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I think the main concern is charging. It's difficult charging plugged vehicles in this environment. But that does make the Volt a better choice

·
Registered
524 Posts
I love visiting NYC but it is a crowded, expensive place. Most of the time I ride the subways. The few times i drive around NYC I am amazed by how quickly I can get around. It's about one third of the time by driving. Parking is expensive but so is everything else. People climb 3 flights of stairs to get out of the subway and then climb 5 floors up to their tiny apartment. Don't like the subway, take a cab. Not a Volt problem. It's a problem for any car and many other aspects of life.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hah, getting a kick out of the replies to this article which was first posted on the forum last week as well as the replies here. First to give some first hand perspective on the writers opinion. I live in the city and own a Brownstone which I bought many years ago. I have been an Volt owner for the last 4 years. I am far from being super rich, or even rich, I am middle class, my wife is a special needs teacher in Brooklyn, NY salaries of any teacher doth not make one rich.

So living everyday for the last four years of what the writer of the piece experienced while driving his Volt, I can regretfully say that the writer's piece was spot on. He made rookie mistakes on overall range of a couple hundred miles, but I've been on the forum long enough to have read misrepresentations by Volt owners themselves. But what it comes to owning and charging any EV in these type of neighborhoods is a absolute nightmare.

The truth is for those who live in what are called Brownstone neighborhoods which there are many both in NY and NJ hudson River communities owning a Volt or any EV car is made extremely difficult by City Officials.

That said it does not have to be, communities like Philadelphia, Baltimore and Seattle which have many of the same type of housing as is in NYC have created parking laws that favor EV ownership in the inner city. They allow on street EV parking spaces usually in front of homes of the EV owner. It is up to the homeowner to pay for signage and installation of electrical outlets, but the city creates EV spaces. These spaces can be used by any EV owner however they do not necessarily mean that any EV owners can charge but if the space is unoccupied then any EV owner can park in the space. so far, that has not been much of an issue for the EV owner who had the signage installed.

But in NYC and the surrounding communities, city officials have not been forward thinking on the type of vehicles they wish to plying the streets of NY and NJ. We have some of the highest incidence of Asthma and pulmonary disease that can be directly associated with car exhaust. So leaving aside CO2 arguments, but concentrating on vehicle exhaust and use of cars in densely packed urban areas, one would think that EV use would be a perfect marriage. Regretfully it isn't, and as one who goes through hoops to charge my vehicle in order to have an EV, I can see why it hasn't be adopted here in the city. Funny thing is I live in high pedestrian traffic area and have seen numerous people take pictures on how I charge my vehicle as well as hundreds of others asking questions on the Volt but regretfully that has not translated to adoption by other users or our city fathers and mothers changing parking regs.

So please don't harangue the writer he was spot on. As for those who say we have a onboard generator for most urban users of PHEV technology the whole point is we don't wish to pollute through the tailpipe in densely urban areas, it defeats the purpose of owning a PHEV.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Outdoor ChargePoint station or something. If you own it, and are paying for the electricity for it, you can have it charge you nothing and everybody else whatever you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts