GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new volt owner--got a 2017 a couple of weeks ago--and am wondering how it handles in the snow. Last car was a subaru, and it was great in the snow. I don't expect the volt to be as good given it doesn't have AWD. Any things to know about driving it in snow?

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
Add snow tires and the Volt is great in snow. That's my experience.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just slid down my (not very steep) street, which had less than an inch of fresh snow. That tells you how it handles.

My impression from comparing last winter (car was a year old) to this winter is that with close to 24,000 miles on the tires, they've maybe lost some of their traction.

But the antilock breaks work swimmingly!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I wonder if this question has been asked before. :rolleyes:

Oh look, there's a box below marked "similar threads". Funny how the thread titles match.

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
I wonder if this question has been asked before. :rolleyes:

Oh look, there's a box below marked "similar threads". Funny how the thread titles match.
Sure, the question has been asked (and answered) twice today. And the answer(s) will be the same as last year, and the 5 years before that. But the OP had a unique "spin" on the question. Delaware. Not sure anyone from there has asked before. :)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Sure, the question has been asked (and answered) twice today. And the answer(s) will be the same as last year, and the 5 years before that. But the OP had a unique "spin" on the question. Delaware. Not sure anyone from there has asked before. :)
Ah, my bad then. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just slid down my (not very steep) street, which had less than an inch of fresh snow. That tells you how it handles.

My impression from comparing last winter (car was a year old) to this winter is that with close to 24,000 miles on the tires, they've maybe lost some of their traction.

But the antilock breaks work swimmingly!

We have a new (to us) 2014 which has just under 20K on it. It has been a wonderful car, but with less than 1/2 inch of snow both my wife and I were having trouble keeping it from sliding. (We have a lot of experience in the snow.) Yes, the brakes worked great, but it had little to no traction. The tires are original. Given the discrepancy between those who say the Volt handles fine in the snow and our experience, I think it is time to get some new tires. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It's all in the tires, so you just have to drive carefully. While out shoveling snow earlier, I watched my neighbor park in his driveway, then go into his house. After he went in, I watched his Nissan slide down to the bottom of his driveway.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I drive a bus sixty hours a week through the winters in the Colorado High Country. I feel safer in my Volt with Michelin X-Ice than in a bus with drop-down chains. I pass AWD vehicles in the ditch every snowstorm, but have never gone for a slide with my Volt (or my prior Prius). Of course, I am also a reasonable and experienced driver unlike the idiots that I spend every day dodging.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had compact cars, 2 minivans, and a mid-size sedan (Saturn Aura), and find the Volt does better than any of them even with the stock tires. I think it's the extra weight of the battery with a low center of gravity. Anyway, last winter I had a particularly nasty 20 mile drive through a heavy snowstorm north of Boston. Got home OK and made it up my driveway with 6 inches of uncleared snow and had no trouble making it through the very center of the narrow 1-car garage door opening. I was really impressed by this car!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can tell you my winter wheels with X-Ice 3's have paid for them selves in collision avoidance. First 2" snow fall back in Dec 13 and on to TireRack I went.

And that would be Mn snow, not Delaware ��

·
Registered
790 Posts
Greetings to my fellow Delaware Volt owner.

I will say it's definitely not a Subaru :) That being said, it is a heavy car with a low center of gravity so it's not too bad. The weak point is clearly the tires as the point of LRRs is to reduce grip/friction.

Last year was the first year I had my '17 and it did okay with the amount of snow we got with the stock tires. Can it handle a foot? Probably not. I am sure winter tires will make a world of difference though.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Not really. What was under the snow? Just a wee bit of ice under there and a snow plow will slide down the street.

Maybe.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As everyone has said, it depends on your tires. Though, the weight of the Volt and the high pressure (>40) you should be running, does help the tires push through the snow to the pavement. My Volt is the best non-4WD vehicle I’ve ever driven in the snow. And that’s with EP422+ tires on, not snow tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a new volt owner--got a 2017 a couple of weeks ago--and am wondering how it handles in the snow. Last car was a subaru, and it was great in the snow. I don't expect the volt to be as good given it doesn't have AWD. Any things to know about driving it in snow?
This is our second winter for our 2017 volt in Wisconsin, now with over 20,000 miles. I can say that the volt handles very well in the snow with the original tires. Probably due to the weight of the car, and the traction control. I love silently passing SUVs and Pickups that are in the ditch.
Also one thing more for cold weather drivers, I really appreciate the gas engine coming on for heat. I am passionate about using little or no gas, but I admit my passion subsides when its below zero F. The ICE is better at producing heat than anything else. We are considering a Bolt as second car, but heat is my concern.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Took the ELR out in the snow yesterday,,did really well for the tires on it.Only saw the traction control light about a half dozen times.:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not really. What was under the snow? Just a wee bit of ice under there and a snow plow will slide down the street.
No ice. Just asphalt. I was going just a bit too fast down the hill, stepped on the brakes, and started to skid. The anti-lock kicked in and all was fine. I wasn't expecting to skid with that small amount of snow, based on 1.5 previous winters' experience with this car.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
So everyone mentions the weight of the car as a plus. But when it comes to handling in the snow, most FWD cars do very well because the weight of the engine is over the drive wheels. While the Volt has an engine too, it also has a heavy battery. Given that, what's the final weight distribution of the Volt? That will be a determining factor in snow handling characteristics.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts