GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was searching for new videos on Youtube and found a new one with a Gen II Volt running a closed-course obstacle course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrkzjvZ1z0

Anyone have the guts to do the above type of driving with their volts? Was it awesome? Who am I kidding, of course it was awesome...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I wouldn't. I think the Volt is a bit clumsy and not really grippy on the road. Could be the LRR tires. I've had far sportier and secure handling cars, including recent VWs and a Mercedes Benz. I love the Volt's ride but its handling doesn't come close to the Germans. It handles more like my wife's old Toyota Matrix, which was pretty bland.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I found it nice and grippy, cop decided to run an intersection that had poor visibility with only lights, no siren, just after it rained. My '17 handled it very nicely.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
That looks fun. The Volt is no sports car, but with some sticky tires, I bet it could hold its own. In a course like that, the instant torque would be an advantage.

I think there is a guy on the Spark EV owners forum that has modded his to run in those kind of events.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think the Volt is a bit clumsy and not really grippy on the road. Could be the LRR tires.
That looks fun. The Volt is no sports car, but with some sticky tires, I bet it could hold its own.
It's the LRR tires.
I put DWS06 Ultra High Performance all-seasons on it, and it transformed the car. On a set of Summers, I think it would do quite nicely. Very low CG makes for flat cornering, the low end torque would make accelerating out of corners good. Is it a Miata, no. But with good tires I think it would quite well.

Yes, I would do that in a second. Running a standard driving course like that is not particularly stressful on the car. A few potholes and railroad crossings on your morning commute is more stress on the car than doing that course.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks like fun but he never said how fast it was going. Anyways it'd be good practice for Rush Hour. Not really I don't do that anymore. I'm usually in the slow lane now trying to squeeze a couple extra EV miles

·
Registered
520 Posts
The tires on the car are listed in the comments section.
Yep -> Bridgestone RE-71R's (Which are incredibly sticky tires specifically designed and intended for autocross. They are about as night-and-day as one could get with our stock LRR tires.)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm fairly confident a Volt on some R-compound tires would be fantastic for an autocross. A set of Hoosier A6s ought to do it nicely. I may have to buy a 3rd set of wheels just to do it haha!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
While sticky tires makes a huge difference over LRR tires, a far cheaper and funner way to experience the Volt with autoX is to find a "tight" course...We all know the 0-30 is far better than the 30-60 so for maximum fun, find a course that doesn't have you go above 30MPH as often...Then you can save you money by not buying new tires and possibly rims...

·
Registered
250 Posts
While sticky tires makes a huge difference over LRR tires, a far cheaper and funner way to experience the Volt with autoX is to find a "tight" course...We all know the 0-30 is far better than the 30-60 so for maximum fun, find a course that doesn't have you go above 30MPH as often...Then you can save you money by not buying new tires and possibly rims...
Not sure how low speeds change anything here. More grip is just as important on a slow course as a fast one...arguably its more important. The benefit of a slow course is to use the instantaneous, strong response of the Volt at those speeds. You'll need all the grip you can muster to put down the power, however.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm fairly confident a Volt on some R-compound tires would be fantastic for an autocross. A set of Hoosier A6s ought to do it nicely. I may have to buy a 3rd set of wheels just to do it haha!
The suspension is definitely way too soft, but the center of gravity is excellent.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If anyone does, please film it and share! For science...

·
Registered
677 Posts
One odd thing that Car and driver found was that the maximum cornering capability was substantially different for left and right cornering... They were unable to determine why.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello .....Well I always find going left is easier cause your on the left. Unless the measurements are independent of the drivers ability. Which they probally are.

One odd thing that Car and driver found was that the maximum cornering capability was substantially different for left and right cornering... They were unable to determine why.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This was cornering in Gs - the driver had no bearing on it.

Hello .....Well I always find going left is easier cause your on the left. Unless the measurements are independent of the drivers ability. Which they probally are.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm guessing the alignment on the car was off. Some previous journalist probably ran it into a curb or something haha.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We put some summer tires on ours and it still really struggles with grip. If it's just a bit wet, forget about it... I get wheelspin at 30+ mph on wet surfaces with a very slight steering angle. If only GM would offer a limited slip differential, a feature available in many cars since at least the 1950's, this wouldn't be much of a problem.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Found some more videos (not mine) on Youtube, different uploader/driver for each video:

1) External view, note the beautifully blacked-out grill and lack of front license plate:

2) First-person (not driver) view of Gen 2 that beats a Ford Fiesta ST:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts