GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newt Giggrich "you cannot put a gun rack in a Chevy Volt."

When will they stop hating the Volt?

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/02/21/newt-gingrich-you-cannot-put-a-gun-rack-in-a-chevy-volt/

Quote: "During a campaign stop at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, OK, the trailing Republican candidate said, "Let me start from a simple premise that Oklahomans will understand: you cannot put a gun rack in a Volt," Talking Points Memo reports. It appears that Gingrich is trying out a new attack line, as Raw Story is reporting that he used a similar line at an event in Suwanee, GA. There, he continued, "There is no reason not to believe that we couldn't stabilize with American production by drowning demand in supply the old-fashioned, free market way. There's no reason we couldn't have a stable price around $2 or $2.50 [per gallon].""

If Obama had said something like that they'd take it as an insult to gun toting Oklahomans.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I did this for a Facebook post yesterday.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Love it! My carry gun fits hidden in the umbrella slot, and the grip looks just like the umbrella on top of it, as though I had two.
No one's noticed it yet. (Yes, I have a permit for this.)

But now I suppose as soon as the weather permits, I should show my Grizzly .50 bmg mounted in there somehow....It's on the long side, but pointing aft the driver could reach the trigger...not that I'd ever do that...I don't shoot that thing anymore anyway.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
So has anybody done the homework for something external to toss the deer on? I have read the posts for the after-market trailer hitch for mounting bikes. And they got me thinking about a hitch mounted cargo carrier for Bambi's Dad (PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals)
[When I was a teenager, the left would have criticized me for animal cruelty; now they embrace me for eating 'free range', non-hormone, non-antibiotic filled meat]

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'd think that bike rack hitch would hold one of those cargo carriers and handle Bambi types just fine if you didn't hit big bumps and bend it.

OT, but out here where the main one-car accidents are with deer - they don't seem to know what to think about this car. They don't notice it till it's too close to jump in front of and just stare...interesting input if you were a hunter, I'd think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Love it! My carry gun fits hidden in the umbrella slot, and the grip looks just like the umbrella on top of it, as though I had two.
No one's noticed it yet. (Yes, I have a permit for this.)

But now I suppose as soon as the weather permits, I should show my Grizzly .50 bmg mounted in there somehow....It's on the long side, but pointing aft the driver could reach the trigger...not that I'd ever do that...I don't shoot that thing anymore anyway.
I cannot imagine how loud that would be, even with hearing proection. The first shot out of my muzzle braked 50 knocked my chronograph box off the table.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
DCFusor: "They don't notice it till it's too close to jump in front of and just stare...interesting input if you were a hunter, I'd think."

Any advantage would be a good one. People (who don't hunt) think you just go out and find one and shoot it. They forget that deer are nocturnal and would be just as happy to sleep the day away one hundred yards away from you in the brush. I'll have to come up with a way to capitalize on the stealth without deer hair stuck in my (fake) grill :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You cannot put a gun rack in a Volt!

This is what Newt Gingrich complained about today in Oklahoma.

This was greated with laughter.

Rob Peterson (Chevy Spokesman) responded with the following:

"Fuel efficiency -- not the availability of a gun rack -- is one of the top purchase considerations for all new vehicles.. If accessories for the Volt are that important to Mr. Gingrich, we'll gladly send him a product brochure."

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nice to see Chevrolet come back so quick to put Newt in his place.

Great pics and video for those that came up with Yes You Can!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks. I shot it in about 10 minutes, and the low-quality rack was built in about 30m.
Cute reply.. but were I grew up, it was important you could reach the guns in the rack (just in case).
Don't hunt any more, but if I wanted them In the volt I'd go with a interior roof mount like this one from Cabelas..

The above image is inside a truck. Front to back it would easily fit in a volt and for a shorter rifles maybe even across and just over the driver head.

For a lower price solution maybe

·
Registered
867 Posts
The hate won't stop because they know no other way. Amazing people who claim to be Christians can spew so much hate.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Here's the head of PR from GM responding to Newt's gunrack comments:

GM spokesman Selim Bingol responded to Gingrich on the new GM blog: "Newt Gingrich has taken up saying that 'You can't put a gun rack on a Volt.' That's like saying 'You can't put training wheels on a Harley.' Actually, you can. But the real question is 'Why would you?' In both examples: It looks weird. It doesn't work very well, and, there are better places for gun racks and training wheels — pickup trucks and little Schwinns, respectively."

Bingol added: "Seriously, when is the last time you saw a gun rack in ANY sedan?"

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...to-Gingrich--You-can-put-a-gun-rack-in-a-Volt

Why do I think that Newt has given up on Michigan?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You made the Daily Show's Moment of Zen tonight
jtmcdole, congratulations on an extra 15 seconds of fame there on the Daily Show! Good video response to a stupid political statement. Well done, and welcome to the Volt forum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts