GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, a personal best. This just goes to show that the best time of year to hand journalists a demo car is spring not winter, haha.

So for the two months that approached winter in Chicago this year, battery mileage dropped to about 36 miles for our Volt. Now that spring is a month early in March, we are getting fantastic battery range numbers.

By the way, we have never had weather like this in Chicago. I wonder if summer will be equally hotter than average. I do expect more mosquitoes and sooner.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I beat you easily once -- downhill all the way! Seriously, that's really great range on a charge. I think you may be transforming into something of a hypermiler.

·
Registered
508 Posts
With the Volt hypermilling is FUN. Extra electric miles is big payback and motivator. I am loving the mild weather and extra range also. Congrats on breaking 50 miles!

GSP

PS. I keep my tires at 45 psi, avoid using the HVAC fan (crack windows instead), and use driving techniques from CleanMPG.com

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mine is improving as well, yesterday I hit the 5 miles per kw rate on 51 miles electric. Woo Woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Welcome to the 50mile club.. Your on fire.. Do I hear 52? 55?

·
Registered
350 Posts
2012 seems started great for my Volt. I got really impressive combined mpg numbers driving to Indy. 49 MPG and I wasnt even trying, drove avg 75-80 mph, I was in a hurry.

I would have easily done better especially as my wife had closed all the vents and we did not figure it out before we had driven 100 miles. We thought something was wrong with the AC. Tip if the fan sounds like a jet engine check the vents :). My wife was complaing the whole way how bad the AC worked, and it turned out she had closed the vents a few weeks ago due to her eyes getting dry...

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's great to hear those kinda numbers! I'm sure happy with mine although I'm not sure I'll break the 50 mile mark (lots of hills on my way to work). I almost choked last night reading what folks in California pay for electricity. I dont understand all the complexities of their energy costs, etc. Costs me about .80 cents for a full charge.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be nice to get that range every day, but I think you need the stars and moon in a certain alignment. Hitting 48-49 miles is very achievable on a regular basis. Getting 50 takes work and a bit of weather/traffic luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congrats!

50 is my next goal, 45 was an achievement in and of itself for me and I can also attest to our (and by that I mean the relative close proximity omaha is to chicago) wonderfully volt-friendly weather we've been having.

I see someone mentioned going 45psi on their tires? Isnt max 50? If so, if im not mistaken, dont you run the risk of prematurely wearing your tires with that much inflation? I have mine filled to 40 and feel that that is too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts