GM Volt Forum banner

Does/did your gen-2 Volt require a service visit?

• My 2016 Volt already had an unscheduled service visit

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • My 2016 Volt needs an upcoming unscheduled service visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • My 2017 Volt already had an unscheduled service visit.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • My 2016 Volt needs an upcoming unscheduled service visit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • So far my 2016 or 2017 Volt does not require a service visit

Votes: 75 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Volt Gen-2 Reliability

Curious how many of our gen-2 Volt owners require service visits. Please vote if you've owned/leased a 2016 or 2017 Volt 1 month or longer.

edit: the term "unscheduled service visit" refers to a repair visit rather than scheduled maintenance or upgrades.
The 4th poll option should read 2017 - not 2016. Not sure if I can change that - maybe one of the moderators can correct it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
After 1200+ miles, we haven't had any issues so far with our 2017 Volt Premier. We've had the car for 2 months.

·
Registered
926 Posts
1000+ miles here at just over a month of ownership. Only issues are rattling with the overhead light fixture thanks to feedback and experience from this forum (fixed temporarily with folded-up paper).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Instead of providing anecdotal reports, people should sign up on TrueDelta and provide reliability info. Also, CR subscribers should be sure to fill out the annual survey.

PS, TrueDelta is showing about 30 problems per 100 units, which matches pretty closely to this informal survey so far. The 2013 and 2014 are about 20. The 2012 jumped to 39. This is prelim data and also they note small sample size. I wouldn't be surprised if aging 12v batteries hurt 2012.

The 2016 Tesla Model S is about 79 (much worse). The 2016 Prius is 0. Yes, 0. Even the 2015 is only 4. Volt is pretty average in this regard.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You need to clarify and define terms before listing the poll. I checked "needed service" for a software update to address chugging. Is thiS optional visit "required service" or not? Can I change my vote if not?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine was built in March, so I had to schedule an Android Auto download, but other than that, trouble free.

·
Registered
568 Posts
4000 or so miles into my 2017 and it had to spend 2 weeks in the shop after some high voltage fuse blew. Car worked fine, except the air conditioner wouldn't work at all (and hence no cooling for the battery unit)

Fuse was on national backorder so that slowed things down.

Other than that the car has been a dream.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to clarify and define terms before listing the poll. I checked "needed service" for a software update to address chugging. Is thiS optional visit "required service" or not? Can I change my vote if not?
OK. For purposes of this poll: "had car repaired" equals "needed service". I think your vote is fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My '17 is still in the shop. I had it for 4 days and the shop has had it for 16 and counting. I couldn't vote because it hasn't been a month yet.

·
2,356 Posts
Instead of providing anecdotal reports, people should sign up on TrueDelta and provide reliability info. Also, CR subscribers should be sure to fill out the annual survey.

PS, TrueDelta is showing about 30 problems per 100 units, which matches pretty closely to this informal survey so far. The 2013 and 2014 are about 20. The 2012 jumped to 39. This is prelim data and also they note small sample size. I wouldn't be surprised if aging 12v batteries hurt 2012.

The 2016 Tesla Model S is about 79 (much worse). The 2016 Prius is 0. Yes, 0. Even the 2015 is only 4. Volt is pretty average in this regard.
Second this. 30 problems per 100 vehicles/year is about average for all hatchbacks in the TrueDelta survey.

Sign up for TrueDelta. They need more cars enrolled. They also need more 2015s, while we're at it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm coming up on 6 months with my 2017 Volt. I have just over 7000 miles on it. It has been absolutely perfect. Zero issues. So far doing better than my 2013 did which had a few minor issues in it's first year of ownership.

I also have our cars on TrueDelta.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Only problem for my 2017 Volt up until now was an ICE oil leak. The dealer replaced the oil pan seal. Drove it on dirt roads for a hiking trip a couple of weeks ago, and now I get an ocassional clunk on the passenger front side when I hit a bump. I can see that the boot for the strut doesn't appear to be attached at the bottom, so I guess I need to take it in to look at that. The suspension did get a workout, but I was going slow and didn't hit any of the potholes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've had quite a few visits for various issues. 18,000 miles and counting. Very happy with the car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The poll did not cover my situation, so here it is:

1. My 2016 has had three unscheduled service visits
2. My 2016 needs an unscheduled service visit.

My 2016 still has a number of problems. The worst problem is an engine oil leak that so far has gotten worse each time they try to fix it. I've decided I can live with the engine backfires, as the SW upgrade did not fix it, and the dealership seems to need a full day per SW upgrade attempt.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So far, the only thing my 2017 Volt needed an unscheduled service appointment for was that the built-in voice recognition system stopped recognizing most "variable" words such as XM channel names or names from my synced phone book. After a full diagnostic, it was determined that this was an odd blip and the resolution was the switch the voice reco system's language from English to something else, reboot the car, then switch back to English. Otherwise, haven't had a single problem worth a service visit. Now if I could just get CarPlay to stop switching to the audio source to phone-playback repeatedly and just leave it at XM when I switch it to XM....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an unexpected visit and got a warranty replacement of the rear camera harness & sensors. Was backing out of the garage in my 2017 and the "service rear camera..." message popped -- with no backup guide on screen but rear camera view still on -- plus no parking sensor beeps or rear cross traffic, etc. Amusingly my local dealer asked if I was "backing out into the sun". Nope, backing out in the morning with my Volt-butt heading West! (And had said unambiguously the rear camera view was visible with no steerable backup guide path, etc.) And of course, it worked the next time I was backing up! But my local dealer's Volt tech dutifully hunted and found a failure code, which led to the warranty replacement of the camera and harness, per above -- could have been component failure(s), loose or improper installation?

BTW, early on I had the screen blank to black (have seen ref. to this elsewhere on the forum). Was using Nav and it came back on after a few button pushes. Hasn't happened recently (but I'm back to using Waze, got tired of the aged Nav interface).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had to have a new piece of plastic ordered for the rear hatch (it wouldn't snap in near the pull down handle). They took care of it. It's perfect now. It was that way from Day 1

1 - 20 of 42 Posts