GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You should work with the big hotels to get a 120V outlet available in their lots. We stayed at the four seasons last time, and I'd be happy to rent this if there was already something setup at the hotels to charge

·
8,680 Posts
I thought I read that Hawaii generates most of it's power from imported oil, and that electric rates are as bad as California's upper tiers ($.30-.40 per kWh.) Assuming that's right, I'm not sure I see the point just yet (though it'll still be a better driving experience I suppose...)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Last time I was in Maui there were scads of wind turbines in the hills going to Kāʻanapali.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should work with the big hotels to get a 120V outlet available in their lots. We stayed at the four seasons last time, and I'd be happy to rent this if there was already something setup at the hotels to charge
The Four Seasons installed a level 2 charge point earlier this year. Most of the hotels will be installing them since the State of Hawaii has a law that requires all public parking lots with 100 plus parking stalls to have at least one EV charge station.

Shaun

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I read that Hawaii generates most of it's power from imported oil, and that electric rates are as bad as California's upper tiers ($.30-.40 per kWh.) Assuming that's right, I'm not sure I see the point just yet (though it'll still be a better driving experience I suppose...)
Even though Maui currently gets most of its energy from fossil fuels there are lots of renewable energy systems installed, being installed and proposed. Installed renewable energy is ~67 MegaWatts and proposed renewables is ~31MW. Peak electricity system demand on Maui for 2011 was 194MW. Also, the State of Hawaii has a goal of 70% "clean" energy by 2030 - Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative, so over time EV's will get cleaner as our electricity grid gets cleaner. You can check out what makes up Maui's electric grid from this recent presentation. And yes, our electricity rates are very high, coming in as high as 44 cents/kwh for residential and 35-41 cents/kwh commercial. EV's are definitely going to be part of the future of transportation, so we might as well get started - Even in places, like Maui, where there are more challenges then others.

Shaun

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi Shaun,

I was just reading this, and think I may have met you. Did you used to run a recycling business on Maui? Do you know Bob and Camille Armantrout? I'm Camille's brother. My brother Joe and I spent half a day with a 'Shaun' touring Maui in December 2001. Anyway, even if you're a different Shaun that's great that you'll be renting out a Volt. The more experience people have with electric cars, the better!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Shaun,

I was just reading this, and think I may have met you. Did you used to run a recycling business on Maui? Do you know Bob and Camille Armantrout? I'm Camille's brother. My brother Joe and I spent half a day with a 'Shaun' touring Maui in December 2001. Anyway, even if you're a different Shaun that's great that you'll be renting out a Volt. The more experience people have with electric cars, the better!
Hi Jim - Yes, we met. I didn't realize it was that long ago :) Bob told me you had a Volt. I still own the recycling company. I'm glad we could add the Volt to our rental fleet, it should be a good rental car. We look forward to adding more EV's as they become available.

Shaun

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi Jim - Yes, we met. I didn't realize it was that long ago :) Shaun

Yes, it's hard to believe that it's been over 10 years! Maui is definitely a perfect location for EV's. I would LOVE to see how many miles would be added coming down from the top of Haleakala! Have you taken your Leaf or Volt to the top?

Have you considered logging your Volt into http://www.voltstats.net/? It's a web site developed by someone on this forum that has over 1000 Volt user's signed up. All you need is your OnStar login and volstats.net automatically downloads certain stats from your Volt. And it gives your Volt it's own web page that you could put as a link on your EV Car Rental page.

Here's my Voltstats web page: http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1131

If you do sign on to Voltstats, let us know your VIN. I would be really curious to see a rental car's EV%.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it's hard to believe that it's been over 10 years! Maui is definitely a perfect location for EV's. I would LOVE to see how many miles would be added coming down from the top of Haleakala! Have you taken your Leaf or Volt to the top?

Have you considered logging your Volt into http://www.voltstats.net/? It's a web site developed by someone on this forum that has over 1000 Volt user's signed up. All you need is your OnStar login and volstats.net automatically downloads certain stats from your Volt. And it gives your Volt it's own web page that you could put as a link on your EV Car Rental page.

Here's my Voltstats web page: http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1131

If you do sign on to Voltstats, let us know your VIN. I would be really curious to see a rental car's EV%.
We did take the Leaf to the top of Haleakala. The National Park Service is looking into installing a Level III quick charger at the park entrance and they were interested in how much energy is used to get the Leaf to the top of the mountain so we gave it a full charge (12 bars) and drove it to the park entrance (10' to 7000' - 8% charge remaining & one bar), since there was 11 miles left to go to the top we left the Leaf there (7000') to charge up overnight to 100% on the Level I charger and drove it to the top (10,000') the next day, ending up at 64% & eight bars remaining. On the entire trip to the top we stopped every 1000' of elevation gain (the NPS had a high quality GPS unit on the car) and the ranger called his wife to log-in to carwings to get the % charge remaining at each 1000'. On the drive down (10,000' to 10') the Leaf went from the 64% & 8 bars to 92% & 11 bars. It will be great if they get the DC Quick Charger.

Thanks for the info on voltstats.net, I will sign up with our Volt and will let you know when I sign up.

Shaun

·
Registered
509 Posts
We did take the Leaf to the top of Haleakala.
That's very interesting about your Leaf journey from 10' to 10,000'. Mountains really do suck up energy. I live in flat-as-a-pancake southern New Jersey, and the only 'hill' that I regulary go over is the Ben Franklin bridge which is probably 150'-200' high feet in the middle. I usually see 2-3 miles of range disappear as I get to the middle of the bridge, but then get 1 or 2 miles back as I re-gen on the
downside.

I suppose your Leaf must be level-III capable. I guess you'll have to warn Leaf-renters that they can't make it to the top of Haleakala without a top-off. I hope they do install a level-III charger. For Volt-renters you'll have to explain Mountain Mode. I guess you haven't taken the Volt to 10,000'? You would really hear the Volt's engine rev like crazy, especially if you don't start out in Mountain Mode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, our Leaf has the Level III charge port. We definitely tell our Leaf renters about the limitations. I haven't experimented with mountain mode yet, I'll have to take the Volt for a drive up Haleakala to see how far it will go before the gas engine is engaged.

Shaun

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Jim,

Finally got set up with onstar. Here is our voltstats page - https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1372. I agree that it will be very interesting to see how a Volt rental car will do overall. We're deffinitely going to push the renters to plug in as much as possible.

Shaun

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the link to the Voltstats for your Volt. It will be interesting to see the percentage electric for the Volt.

Really cool link that you have on your web site for places to plug in: http://www.evcarrentals.com/mauievchargestations.htm I notice that there are lots of places to plug in on the west side of Maui, but none on the eastern side. I guess your Leaf won't be taking the road to Hana, unless the renter has made prior plans.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Another thought: You might want to add your Volt to the "Hawaii Volts" on Voltstats:

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/GroupDetails/22

Yours would be the first Maui Volt in the Hawaii group of five Volts (as of today). Most of them are in Oahu, and they're all driving over 90% electric, which makes sense because Hawaii has the perfect climate and lack of long distance that favors EV driving.

Yes, it will be very interesting to see the EV% numbers going forward on your Volt rental.

If I'm ever back in Maui, or if I hear about anyone going to Maui, I'll definitely send them your way for an eco-friendly ride!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good to hear about the Volt rentals in Maui. We're headed to Kauai in July and wish they'd rent them there too. No doubt we'd rent one as we are VERY interested in this car and we've got to rent something to get around the island.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Shaun,

Really cool link that you have on your web site for places to plug in: http://www.evcarrentals.com/mauievchargestations.htm I notice that there are lots of places to plug in on the west side of Maui, but none on the eastern side. I guess your Leaf won't be taking the road to Hana, unless the renter has made prior plans.
Hopefully there will be at least level 2 charging in Hana at some point. We did rent the Leaf to someone last year that stayed in Hana for 5 days, and was able to plug in with the charger that comes with the car at the bed & breakfast she stayed at.

Shaun

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another thought: You might want to add your Volt to the "Hawaii Volts" on Voltstats:

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/GroupDetails/22

Yours would be the first Maui Volt in the Hawaii group of five Volts (as of today). Most of them are in Oahu, and they're all driving over 90% electric, which makes sense because Hawaii has the perfect climate and lack of long distance that favors EV driving.

If I'm ever back in Maui, or if I hear about anyone going to Maui, I'll definitely send them your way for an eco-friendly ride!
I will add our Volt to the Hawaii Volts on voltstats. Thanks for the plugs, and maybe we'll see you again in Maui some day.

Shaun

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear about the Volt rentals in Maui. We're headed to Kauai in July and wish they'd rent them there too. No doubt we'd rent one as we are VERY interested in this car and we've got to rent something to get around the island.
If you can't find a Volt, you might be able to rent a Prius or other hybrid. I would call the local branches of the major rental companies and maybe even contacting local rental companies to see what they actually have in stock.

Shaun

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks for the shameless self promotion! LOL You've got me planning my next vacation. It's been too long since I've been to Maui! The next time I am there I will have to rent a Leaf off you for a couple day's comparison test drive from my Volt!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts