GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Strange problem here...

The apartment complex I live in has a Level 2 GE-brand EVSE, model DEH-44160, installed in the parking garage for use by tenants. This charger is the industrialized cousin of GE's WattStation Level 2 EVSE charger.

Everything was working just fine until I recently plugged my car in and received the following coded error, displayed on the readout of the GE station. I looked up the error code in GE's instruction manual for the unit and posted the full description below. The error does not clear no matter what I've tried (unplugging / replugging, driving the car and trying again, etc.). Other EVs in the building have been using the station with no issues.

Also, after I received the error, the 120V charger that came with the car will not work either -- it blinks red twice and the car won't charge.

What's really interesting is that the car charges just fine at the ChargePoint stations installed where I work.

GE EVSE Error:
0x00000020
Unit has failed a Pilot Diode self-test required per the SAEJ1772 / IEC 61851 standard. This is a feature which prevents tampering with the controller and the interlock connector. To clear this fault, disconnect from the vehicle and repeat. If fault persists, there is likely a problem with the vehicle’s pilot interface.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
It's cool your place has a charge station. You are living the dream, or will be once this is figured out.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Maybe your car really did develop a problem, and the ChargePoint stations ignore the pilot-diode signal test(?) Being ChargePoint, you're using their RFID card to authenticate yourself, right? So ChargePoint knows who's using the station.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Since you can charge the car using the 240v ChargePoint charge cord you know the charger in the car is working. My guess is you have two unrelated issues. Communications problems between cars and charging stations have shown up from time to time. Given the Volt's been out there for a few years, that's most likely an issue for the DEH-44160. The two red flashing lights on the charge chord indicates the outlet isn't correctly grounded. (I interpreted what you said as two lights were blinking. If it's only one light then either the voltage is out of range or there is a fault in the charge cord). Did you try the same outlet you've successfully used before?

I'd try a different 120v outlet. If it works then call GE about the DEH-44160. If it doesn't work take the charge cord back to the dealer and see what they say.

Maybe your car really did develop a problem, and the ChargePoint stations ignore the pilot-diode signal test(?)
It's part of the protocol.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
...It's part of the protocol.
It's part of the protocol, but that doesn't mean all charge stations implemented it. From Chris Howell, of OpenEVSE fame:
https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics

Scroll down to the comments section, Jun 19, 2010, where he writes:

The J1772 requires that the EVSE not energize the relays if the diode check fails. Believe it or not there are several commercial EVSE that skip this important check.

EDIT: Found some more on this topic, but it looks like ChargePoint stations do check the diode:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=205880#p205854

·
1,027 Posts
Its resistance, check the plug to see if there's crap in there. Use a qtip to clean the socket and pin out.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
if the charger cord has error lights on BEFORE you plug in to the car it is hard to blame the car ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The conductors are clean, so I doubt it's a resistance issue.

I was able to try plugging in at a friend's house last night. He has a Volt too, and also a Juicebox EVSE. His Volt charger failed with two red blinks, just like mine does.

His Juicebox also wouldn't charge my car -- but it triggered a Check Engine light when we plugged it in, which was actually useful.

Called OnStar and had them do a diag. The CEL is code P1EE6, "battery charging system not performing as expected". Checked the battery coolant level, which is a common problem causing Volts not to charge, but it was fine.

Don't know what happened, but it's starting to sound like the charging unit INSIDE the Volt needs repair or replacement. Appointment with dealer tomorrow, I'll report back...

It's also starting to seem like ChargePoint stations don't do all the checks in J1772.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had similar (but not exact) symptoms in the last few weeks and the dealer ended up replacing my charge port to fix the issue this week. I did have that P1EE6 and also P0D22 codes. Mine is also a 2013 model.... wonder if there was a bad batch of charge ports?

·
Registered
210 Posts
My 2014 had the P1EE6 twice when plugged into a Chargepoint public unit. I cleared the codes at home and had no problems until my wife returned to and tried the same ChargePoint device. Once again, clearing the code and retesting has never caused a CEL in 4 months. Get the dealer to examin the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After about 19 days in the shop, this problem has finally been resolved. GM VoltAdvisors have been great, they're processing paperwork to help cover my car payment while it was in the shop as I was not offered a loaner.

Anyway, it appears that the HPCM2 ("Hybrid Power Control Module") had an internal short and needed to be replaced. Does anybody know what this particular module does?

Here's the explanation of the troubleshooting process from the Chevy dealer:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, amazing! Looks like it's pretty much the central "brain" for the entire car. If this thing was shorted, I'm totally surprised I wasn't seeing more malfunctions outside of just the pilot signal issue. That's good systems engineering / electrical engineering right there -- part of the module fried, but the other systems hung in there.

Impressive stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts