GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2013 used and it's been a great car all around. I'm hoping like the Bolt EV GM would consider making a Volt EV with over 200 miles or more in range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Loboc I'm hoping that future GM electric vehicles comes in different sizes and the compact Volt could be second to the Bolt EV. The Bolt EV midsized is practical but the Volt Compact size and style could attract more people that are willing to go EV without the "Egg Air Resistance" shape.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
There will soon be quite a few BEVs on the market to choose from. I hope Chevy continues to offer a good EREV with 50+ miles of AER. Those are more rare and I don't see many new ones on the horizon.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
There will soon be quite a few BEVs on the market to choose from. I hope Chevy continues to offer a good EREV with 50+ miles of AER. Those are more rare and I don't see many new ones on the horizon.
I'm not so optimistic. With a purely Republican government, we could see the reduction of removal of CAFE regulations, which would essentially halt development of new EVs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a 2013 used and it's been a great car all around. I'm hoping like the Bolt EV GM would consider making a Volt EV with over 200 miles or more in range.
They did, it's called the Bolt
I want a Volt EV though. Not too sure with the Tesla Model 3 and how it's driven though. I'm not a fan of the Tablet display since I'm more into a traditional interior Gears. The Nissan Electric looks promising but at 100 miles it's still not enough compared to the Bolt EV and M3 unless they give it a 60kW battery.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The Volt is designed around having an ICE and a 50ish mile battery. It doesn't seem like it would be easy to stuff more battery in it to make it a 200 mile BEV. I think they would want to design from the ground up for a BEV vehicle rather than convert the Volt. But they could certainly make a new vehicle that is a small, sporty sedan. The Tesla Model 3 may be the first car aimed at that segment.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Anything approaching 200 miles EV range suggests to me that there is no need for the ICE range extender. It's a lot of weight and complex systems to support it (fuel, exhaust, etc.) that become a liability for the vast majority of your driving needs. There may be a sweet spot somewhere around 100-125 miles that might make sense, but 200 miles is probably way more than necessary.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Once a range extended EV has about a 100mile or so range, I don't think it makes much sense in most cases to have batteries for even more range. At 100 miles, most of my trips (and most other drivers) would be all electric. Only longer trips or cold weather would use gas. Gen 2 Volt is already at 53 miles EPA range.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
oh, if only this were real, it would be parked in my garage
Maybe not the Jolt EV, but hopefully GM has some surprises in store for NAIAS in Jan! Like the Bolt concept 2 years ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anything approaching 200 miles EV range suggests to me that there is no need for the ICE range extender. It's a lot of weight and complex systems to support it (fuel, exhaust, etc.) that become a liability for the vast majority of your driving needs. There may be a sweet spot somewhere around 100-125 miles that might make sense, but 200 miles is probably way more than necessary.

VIN # B0985
Topic is about a fully electric Volt with no need for an extended range at least 200 miles of range. Sorry if I wasn't clear in making this thread. I just don't like the Bolt EV design and Tesla's giant tablet interior. Hopefully future Volts will have an all EV option or a small sporty sedan design.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Hopefully future Volts will have an all EV option or a small sporty sedan design.
Small sedans are going bye-bye world wide. The new hot car is a CUV. That new Volvo concept looks good.

I'm sure there will be something on the market by 2025. Since pretty much all cars will be EV by then. Maybe a Cruze EV.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Topic is about a fully electric Volt with no need for an extended range at least 200 miles of range. Sorry if I wasn't clear in making this thread. I just don't like the Bolt EV design and Tesla's giant tablet interior. Hopefully future Volts will have an all EV option or a small sporty sedan design.
There probably eventually be other 200+mile EVs from GM, but I doubt it will be an optional version of the Volt.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood. Truth be told, even though I really like my Volt, it is too small to satisfy me completely and I feel many potential customers feel the same way. I see a LOT of CUVs on the road, Bolt sized and slightly larger so there is a market there. Pure EVs need to be designed to satisfy a large enough market of customers to ultimately be successful. In my mind small compact cars don't define a desirable market for high volume success.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
@Loboc I'm hoping that future GM electric vehicles comes in different sizes and the compact Volt could be second to the Bolt EV. The Bolt EV midsized is practical but the Volt Compact size and style could attract more people that are willing to go EV without the "Egg Air Resistance" shape.
Sign me up for a Subyukonade with 200 miles of EV range!!!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Small sedans are going bye-bye world wide.
Not for a while. At least not the small part anyway.

The two most popular vehicles globally are the Toyota Corolla (sedan) and VW Golf (hatchback). Overall, the Compact C-Segmenet sold 3.75 million units and the subcompact B-Segment sold 2.53 million units.

In the US, a CUV is used to describe anything from a compact hatchback like the Bolt, to mid-sized SUV like the BMW X5, to a large wagon like the Volvo XC-70. Dodge even tries to squeeze the Journey minivan in under the "CUV." category. Nevertheless, a CUV globally is usually defined as the B-SUV segment which sold 1.9 million units - about half the number of car-based B-segment vehicles.

The B-SUV segment is expanding, but it still has a long way to go to take over the small sedan.

The world lives in cities and cities favor small cars. If India ever gets cranking, there will be more Tata's than Toyota -- by a large margin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts