GM Volt Forum banner

Volt driveabliity- my wish

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  QuickRick 
#1 ·
Frist of all, I want everyone to know that we are thrilled with our Volt. There are minor things that we wish would get fixed.

One issue is the way in which the brakes and accelerator work when in a parking lot. I'm worried that I may bump a pole or another vehicle when inching ahead because: A) the lag in the accelerator and B) the lag in the brakes. The other day I wanted to pull ahead 4 inches and stop, instead I got 6-7 inches by the time I got it to move and stop. Makes me wonder if there is a trick to inch ahead yet not do any damage?

I realize that we are new to the car (3 weeks) and there may be work arounds. I've driven hybrids and they are even worse.

What do you think about all of this....ideas?

QR

#2 ·
I have no lag in my accelerator??? As for the brakes, there is no lag there either in a parking lot when I'm already going < 20 mph. The only time there is a "lag" is on deceleration as the braking switches from resistive (regen) to friction. It took some getting used to, but I'm cool with it now.

As for inching forward, just take your foot off the brake and the car will move forward slowly, if in gear. It has a "creep" function built in like a regular (ICE) car. It does not operate like a golf cart that requires depressing the accelerator to creep ahead. Good luck.

#3 ·
Unless the lot is steep, I let the creep do all the work - ease off on the brake, and let the car start to move itself. In steeper lots that may be difficult - but the Volt does have a hill hold function that keeps it from rolling back in drive for a whil after you release the brake.

#4 ·
Creep, but only if it's in "D", not in "L", or at least not as much. I'm not sure that it creeps (acts like an auto transmission in gear at idle) at All if it's in "L"..

#5 ·
Coming from a 2008 Jajuar XK and 2007 Corvette Z06 I'm very sensitive and intune with have a car feels under all conditions, and I must say I don't have ANY lag issues with either acceleration or braking on our 2012 Volt.

I wish I could be of more help, but it appears you sense things differently than me and possibly other Volt owners. I hope you sort this out as the Volt is one of the nicest driving vehicles I've ever owned.

#11 ·
You can turn on the front sensors with the overhead switch when in a forward gear. The audible warning goes to a constant tone within inches of touching. I find it very useful.

#10 ·
Yup,

I'm not describing it as well as I could and as the owner of a Z06 and a CTS Cadillac currently, I realize that no electric car will match the feel of the other two.

In fairness, I need to come back after 6 months to see what I've discovered. We've mastered the fisrt layer, now it is time to make the Bluetooth work properly etc. These are the "second layer" of controls.

This car has loads of settings and features to master, screens to monitor. I always tell friends that it is like driving a video game on wheels. Kinda fun!

QR

#15 ·
The brakes do a fine job of stopping the car, but modulating them as you come to a stop takes getting used to in any vechicle that has to transition from regen to friction braking. It's something you will adjust to as you drive the car.

I frequently need to parallel park in tight spaces. While maneuvering in tight quarters while parking, I have not experienced the situation you describe, I'm able to lift up on the brake to activate slow creeping and then press it to stop immediately. No lag.

I have found that it's important to set the parking brake before turning off the car because the service brakes release when the car is off, even with your foot still on the brake pedal. If the PB is not set before shutting down, the car may roll a few inches until the Park pawl catches it.

I've never experienced lag on the accelerator. In fact I find it among the most responsive cars I've ever driven.

#16 ·
I know what you are talking about. I feel a little lag or sponginess in the brakes when inching into the garage and attempting to stop suddenly. There is also the transition between regeneration and friction braking when decelerating through 5 MPH that can be a little alarming at first.

All I can say is that I have gotten used to it and it doesn't bug me at all now. Considering how much is going on "under the hood" when you press the brake pedal in the Volt, I am impressed that it works as well as it does. In fact, I rather enjoy the fact that pressing on the brakes means that I am recycling the kinetic energy, instead of wasting it as heat.

#17 ·
First is the word

Guys,

I guess I should use spellcheck........I really can spell the word.

BTW, I have been practicing using the "creep" feature. As long as it isn't too steep, you are right, it holds going up hill and pulls a bit on the level ground.

Thanks,

QR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.