GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy the OEM door sill plates. Has anyone installed these before? Does anyone know what the install is like? Dunno why but I love all the optional extras and I'm slowly getting them. I already have the Rear Center Armrest and am looking for a matching mat to go inside it if anyone knows how to get one please tell me. I bought the All Weather Rear Floor Mat and Cargo Net. I use all of these. Mine came with a cloth cargo cover I don't know if that was standard or not. Has anyone tried the side view mirror covers?

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
If you like a thin plastic decal you'll love the sill plates.

Not sure what side-view mirror covers you are referring to. The Volt comes with them standard.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
You need a voltshelf to replace the cargo cover loin cloth (there is not GM-supplied option) and a voltscreen to protect your lower radiator. Plastidip anything chrome to be black, gunmetal gray, or my favorite, silver turquoise chameleon. Depending on the color of your volt, you might plastidip your lower rocker panels. Better yet, dip the whole car. Husky weather mats are better than the volt and weather tech ones as the snow and salt runs right off the rear of the weather techs right onto the carpet under the front seats. Get the antibuffeting kit if your dealership is willing to do it for free.

Go get some custom 18 or 19 inch wheels and use the OEMs for snow tires (I'm living proof that buying snow tires thwarted snowageddon 3). I bought the tires, announced to the world that there would be no snow last year in my area, and there was no snow, well, only one snow where the tires were on less than 36 hours .

For the ultimate customization, there's a guy in Florida who owns a body shop that actually installed rear fins on his volt. Then check out Mr. Dave's volt that he made into an El Dorado (profile pic).

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got the plates for my 2012 Volt. They are for the front doors only, and are nothing more than metallic looking heavy paper with sticky stuff on the back. I returned them and got my money back.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
OEM Volt Sill plates are metallic looking but not metal. They are made of a flexible plastic type material. They have a sticker on one side. You wipe the sill very clean and stick them on ... as simple as that. I have had them on my Volt for over two years now and they are doing OK. In hindsight, I would have gone to my local film installer and put something that truly protects the entire area and is cheaper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like my sill plates. They are aluminum sheeting I believe, but whatever they look nice and are easy to install as long as you position them correctly the first time. They don't relocate easily.... I am on my second Volt and have them on it, had them on my first Volt also. They look great and seem to be durable.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shelf isn't for me. I have considered it but ultimately I think I would dislike it more than like it. If I got the rear organizer instead of the arm rest it would pair better. The side view covers are listed in the GM accessories catalog for the Volt.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=scat&scatgrp=exterior&scatsubgrp=outside-rearview-mirror-cover

I considered the Husky floor mats but don't think I'll like the look. I prefer OEM look. If I could see a good video of them or maybe see it in person that would be nice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the newest sill plates for the volt are mirror stainless with lazer lettering volt across the face
they use two sided sticky tape to secure them in the door sill area
would have been better if they attached with countersinking stainless steel screws,and have lite's installed for nitetime entry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts