GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, while driving home from a 138 mile business trip, the Low Fuel light came on. Since I was close to my home, I decided I would charge the car all night and find a gas station in the morning. Much to my dismay, I got into the car this morning and it hadn't charged AT ALL. I had to drive 11 miles to the nearest gas station--a white knuckle drive--fearing that I would run out of gas the entire way.

Did the car not charge because of low fuel? I can't imagine why this happened.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It happened to me that I did not push the J1772 connector sufficiently, and the hook was a little bit open because
of that. This makes the EVSE to not giving the pilot signal to the car, thus charging cannot start.
Since then I take a little bit more time to make sure I get the charging started.

When you plugged the charger at home, did you witnessed the solid green light and the honk indicating the charging has
started?

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've had my Volt for almost two years now and have followed this website since 2008 (although I registered much later). Anyway, I have definitely never heard of it not charging due to low fuel. When you plugged in do you remember hearing the horn honk indicating that it was a successful connection? I still wait and listen everytime since I had one of the defective charging cords that stopped working after a couple months and learned the hard way to make sure of the connection.

So the two pieces of advice would be to always listen for the honk and to check your system when you get back home to make sure the circuit is still intact and operating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly don't remember if the horn honked or not. My daughter actually plugged the charger in while I was getting stuff out of the back. She might not have plugged it in securely. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't have anything to do with low fuel. Too bad that I won't get 40+ miles of battery today :(

·
4,852 Posts
No, the car doesn't care if you're low on fuel with respect to charging. Like another poster mentioned, I've seen the charging connector not quite go in all the way.

The main thing to do is to make sure the charging light on the top of the dashboard goes amber then some combination of green (blinking or solid depending on whether or not you setup delayed charging). If you plug in the charging cord and the dashboard light doesn't light up at all, it's not plugged in all the way and/or the trigger on the cord wasn't released all the way.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just imagine you had pure electric, you would have to stay home...

Thats why the range extender concept is brilliant.

Once the concept is perfected, lower cost batteries that store more power and range extenders that are specifically made for that purpose the gas cars wont have a chance. Same with hydrogen cars.

The only thing that can kill it is if the companies that want to have us hooked on buying fuel from them stops it.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
This has happened to me once and my wife once. As others have said, make sure you hear the car chirp and the dash light display green. No chirp, no charge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used to have it setup so that the Onstar app would send me text messages if the car was not plugged in by a certain time. But I turned it off during a vacation so I wouldn't get the messages while the car was sitting at the airport.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Just be thankful you are not part of the Neil Cavuto household. He said divorce would be the result of something like this happening. Of course, he also has said anything that must be plugged in is stupid (perhaps meant the faux newz TV?).

·
Registered
198 Posts
You must have not completely plugged the charger in.

I done the same thing once before. I was on low to the point where I had no color bars on the gas tank. I WAS ABLE to charge the car overnight giving me the 35+ miles to leisurely get gas the next EVENING.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Clipper Creek CS-60 with a mechanical contactor that makes a loud THUNK when charging begins. I've learned to listen for it when I plug in to make sure it's on successfully.

Nate

·
Registered
467 Posts
Something like that happened to me a couple days ago. I got out of the car, popped the charge door open and forgot to plug in. About 3 hours later I realized my mistake and plugged the charger into the car. No yellow or green light. No horn toot. I unplugged the charger and opened the driver's side door. The dash lit up. I closed the door, plugged in again and all was well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts