GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is mostly to allow me to vent my frustrations at trying to buy a 2016 Volt.

I used TrueCar to look at pricing and availability of the new Volts here in the SF Bay Area. I found an in-stock match on the car I wanted, a Blue Premium with both both Confidence packages, at Fremont Chevrolet. We drove out there first thing the next morning, Saturday Dec 5th, but it was already sold. Disappointing, but the very nice sales agent we worked with found another Blue Premium marked as "In Transit" in the system. Great! We got the TrueCar price, negotiated over my trade-in, and put down a $1000 deposit. He said to expect it in about ten days.

Well, I've been checking in and it's thirteen days now, and still no car. We just talked to the Sales Manager, and he said that they can't even guarantee that the car will be in before the end of December. In fact, he said that the cars ship "in no understandable manner or time." Once December ends, the Private Offer I've got will expire, the federal tax credit will take another year to come in, and the HOV stickers may all be used up. If I'd known it could take over a month, I would have kept shopping at the other Bay Area dealers.

Aaarg!

·
Registered
48 Posts
When the car is in transit the dealer has been invoiced (billed) by GM. Most dealers will sell you the car on paper before the end of the month so that you can use the current rebate programs and have paperwork for the 2015 IRS tax credit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This post is mostly to allow me to vent my frustrations at trying to buy a 2016 Volt.

I used TrueCar to look at pricing and availability of the new Volts here in the SF Bay Area. I found an in-stock match on the car I wanted, a Blue Premium with both both Confidence packages, at Fremont Chevrolet. We drove out there first thing the next morning, Saturday Dec 5th, but it was already sold. Disappointing, but the very nice sales agent we worked with found another Blue Premium marked as "In Transit" in the system. Great! We got the TrueCar price, negotiated over my trade-in, and put down a $1000 deposit. He said to expect it in about ten days.

Well, I've been checking in and it's thirteen days now, and still no car. We just talked to the Sales Manager, and he said that they can't even guarantee that the car will be in before the end of December. In fact, he said that the cars ship "in no understandable manner or time." Once December ends, the Private Offer I've got will expire, the federal tax credit will take another year to come in, and the HOV stickers may all be used up. If I'd known it could take over a month, I would have kept shopping at the other Bay Area dealers.

Aaarg!

why don't you look further than the local dealers?

check this post out:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?214857

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well, I've been checking in and it's thirteen days now, and still no car. We just talked to the Sales Manager, and he said that they can't even guarantee that the car will be in before the end of December. In fact, he said that the cars ship "in no understandable manner or time."
Yeah it can be frustrating, as once they get released to the shipper it gets into the mix with trains and trucks hauling vehicles from various brands and it doesn't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason to it. Your post reminded me of one from a few years ago where several of us were waiting on our Fusion hybrids, and one guy's car was sitting at the rail yard just one mile from the dealer and waiting for a truck to move it the rest of the way, and he said it sat there for 13 days... talk about frustrating! And I remember reading another guy's post (just went back to that forum to find the post and copy/paste some of it here, but couldn't find it) that he went to the rail yard and one of the workers saw him peering through the fence and they talked and the worker went to the boss and they weren't supposed to do so, but brought him in and gave him a tour of the place and showed him how things worked, and showed him where his car was, I think it was still sitting on a rail car waiting to be offloaded. So he sure was an anxious owner and I think finally got his car a few days later -- but I think just about anyone here can identify with your frustration, sure wish there was more visibility to the process.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
We pre-ordered before production started in July. Come October, the lots were full of Volts, but we did not have a delivery estimate at all. So at the end of October, we bought a car as close to what we ordered as possible. Luckily we recently received HOV stickers, if we would have waited, we probably would not have gotten the car in time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an update on my attempts to buy a Volt:

We kept checking in with the dealer and the Volt that I'd put down a deposit on, only to find out that they managed to sell it to someone else! They've got another one coming in 4 days, supposedly, and they're giving us an extra $500 off because they felt bad about the whole thing.

Meanwhile I got a call this afternoon from Stewart Chevrolet in Colma that a Volt just came in matching what I was looking for. I told them I'd be there in a half hour, but as I was minutes away from the dealership, they called and said that it had just been sold. What fun!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yikes. I also bought from Fremont and they traded for a car to get what I was looking for, also with extra 500 off. However because it was a trade they couldn't apply for the HOV stickers (it was over a weekend). Make sure you can guarantee HOV stickers with the car coming in 4 days (that it's not a dealer trade and that they already applied for it before December)

OA

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had a similar experience with Fremont Chevrolet. On Saturday, Nov. 14 I drove down and gave them a deposit check on a Volt "in transit" that the salesman expected the following week. All the following week he said it was at the transfer lot, they were getting cars in every day, and it could come any day. It still hadn't come in by Nov. 23, when I left a message for the Fremont salesman that I'd bought one elsewhere, off the lot, with sticker pre-applied for.

Good luck finding a Volt. Either buy one with HOV stickers already on the car, or have them show you a copy of the DMV form 1000D with your car's VIN on it, preferably dated in November. If December, before around the 11th should be OK but no way to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car was built going on 3 weeks now but has still not moved from the assembly plant. Every time check with the Live Chat agents, they tell me that the car is built and waiting to be shipped. They have no scheduled or projected ship date nor are they able to provide the average transit time to my dealer in Montreal. So I have no projected delivery date 3 weeks after the car has been built.

All they say is please check back at the end of the week...

·
Registered
45 Posts
When the car is in transit the dealer has been invoiced (billed) by GM. Most dealers will sell you the car on paper before the end of the month so that you can use the current rebate programs and have paperwork for the 2015 IRS tax credit.
It's all about date of delivery/ready to drive date not paperwork date. I've looked into the IRS letter of the law.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You had a contract to buy a specific car (presumably with a specific VIN) from Fremont Chevrolet. They can't sell that car to someone else. That's breach of contract. I'd contact the general manager of the dealer and the area zone mgr. for GM and have them get "your car" back. It's up to the dealer (and GM) to make it right. That includes: the specific car, the HOV stickers, and all the applicable discounts. In MHOP the dealer should also give you something for all this inconvenience. Rather than do nothing and give you a $500 discount on another car in transit is an insult. GM should hear how badly their dealers are treating customers. So should the State of CA regulators.

It is forums like this that have give a power to the consumers, in leverage with a dealer such as Fremont Chevrolet (assuming everything you say is accurate).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an ending to the story which is only partially satisfying. The TL;DR is that I have a beautiful new Blue Premier 2016 Volt.

Here is the long version:

The salesperson at Fremont Chevy that sold the Premier that I had a deposit on was supposedly fired. They found another car that matched what I wanted and was coming in shortly, and the head sales guy said they'd knock $500 off the price. I had looked into getting a car at other dealerships, including as far away as Rydell, but with the holidays and travel and work and wanting it before year end, I stuck with Fremont Chevy. They had the car in on Christmas Eve, but we were going out of town, so we came in the following Monday (yesterday) to get the car.

There it was, sitting in the middle of the showroom with a big bow on top. We worked with another sales woman, who was very nice, but not our original guy, so we had to go over a lot of things again. The price she showed us had mysteriously lost $250 of our agreed on trade in, included a $2999 service contract, and it was hard to tell if the $500 off we were promised was in there because a lot of the line items looked different from the first time. They fixed the trade-in amount and removed the service contract and we moved ahead with the deal. About an hour into the process (why does it take so long?!), the sales woman gave us the window sticker for the car while I was in the car poking at buttons. My wife soon noticed that this car only had Conf Package I, not I & II as I had wanted and the original car had. Well, that sucked, but at this point, I was too deep into this to want to start over. However, it did mean that the price should be about $500 lower than the original quote for phantom car #1. After doing a lot of math, since, as mentioned, the line items were pretty different from the first quote, it looked like we were about $200 high taking into account the $500 promised discount, the $500ish for no Conf Package II, and the $1000 off for GM Private Offer. They agreed to another $100 off. Then, after all that, they couldn't find the second key. We waited around for maybe a half hour of them searching, and ended up leaving without it (found out this morning that it turned up).

All the people we dealt with at Fremont Chevy individually were very nice and seemed to be doing their best, but there was enough shiftiness and incompetence around the whole process to leave me very unhappy with them.

On the bright side, I now have a shiny new Blue Premier Volt that felt like it glided us back up to San Francisco as we finally were able to take it home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, and no HOV stickers. But had we gotten the car when we were supposed to, I was leaning towards declining them because I do 99% of my driving in non-HOV areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update. Just checked back with the Chevrolet Live Chat agents. Still no change in status. 2016 Volt Premier ordered October 29, 2015. Built December 11, 2015, and parked at the plant every since. I have a buyer for my current car but can't sell because I have no idea when the Volt will be shipped to replace my current vehicle. Wish there was more useful information. It's now been over 2 months since the order and onto week 4 from the build with no ship date in sight...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Update. Just checked back with the Chevrolet Live Chat agents. Still no change in status. 2016 Volt Premier ordered October 29, 2015. Built December 11, 2015, and parked at the plant every since. I have a buyer for my current car but can't sell because I have no idea when the Volt will be shipped to replace my current vehicle. Wish there was more useful information. It's now been over 2 months since the order and onto week 4 from the build with no ship date in sight...
Wow, that is not the case for US bound cars.
Perhaps its something with getting cars into Canada.
Do you have any odd options on the car, they might be waiting on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, that is not the case for US bound cars.
Perhaps its something with getting cars into Canada.
Do you have any odd options on the car, they might be waiting on?
The only 2 options were the illuminated charge port and the drivers confidence package. The Chevy advisors I've spoken with over the course of the last 3 weeks have all stated that the cars status is "waiting to be shipped". This usually means the car passed quality control but no one can tell me what's going on with the shipping.

Live Chat agents say they don't have any information on when it may be scheduled for shipping, or how long it usually takes to get to the dealer. The dealership tells me that they were already invoiced for the car over a week ago but it hasn't arrived yet and they don't know when it will. The cars just show up?

It's about a 10 hour drive form the plant to the dealership but I don't even know if it is going by line haul or via train. If train, it could be weeks from the time it is loaded at the rail yard to delivery.

Problem is no one is able to provide any basic information on when the car is projected/scheduled to be delivered. Not the Chevy Live Chat agents, not the dealership. Over 3 weeks after the build date, I am told to keep checking back to determine if it has been shipped.

Consequently, I can't plan the sale of current car because I have no idea when to expect delivery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts