GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents went to start the Volt last night but the battery was completely dead and there were no interior lights or power of any kind. SO they called onstar. Onstar had someone roll the car out of the garage to tow it back to Sport Chevrolet. But after the car was taken out of the garage the floor of the garage was completely melted and burnt with huge holes in the floor where the Volt was. Any idea what can cause this this? Pictures attached. The garage is designed to contain very high heat and there was nothing flammable anywhere in the garage.

Tile Floor Flooring Ceiling Floor Wall Tile Wood Wall Tile Room Floor Bathroom Wall Tile Yellow Floor Ceiling

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
No idea what could have caused this. I would contact the Volt Advisers and try to get a Volt engineer involved quickly.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Uh oh, don't let Fox news get wind of this, they claim it was a radiation leak or something.

Seriously though. I hope everything turns out for the best for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was there any odor present ? melted plastic ?
Gm has the car now so we may never know what happened . I would go to the dealer and actually look at the car and try to talk to the volt mechanic.
I am worried because I keep a piece of cardboard under my car to catch any small drips. I am going out and move it right now.
Tom

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
A few questions, to try to figure out what that could be:

1) Was the front of the Volt parked towards the garage door?
2) On the trip that was run with the Volt, and ending the Volt being parked in the garage, was that trip runned on electric only mode,
or with the use of the gas engine?
3) The floor seems to be made of vinyl tiles - What is the material of the tiles?

Thanks,

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I'd pay the dealer a visit and ask to see the car up on a lift and get some photo's.

Have you spoken to the dealer yet about this and the possibility of seeing the car on a lift and getting some photo's?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer has car

THe dealer has no idea what caused it. All of the heat damage was on the drivers side. But the charger itself had no damage. THe Volt advisors don't call us anymore so we just went to the dealer. I thought The main battery is in the middle and the gas tank on the right. WE are in no rush to get the car back so we want them to try to figure what it was. I know my father has left the car on all night many times. THe was nothing leaking. JUst extreme heat damage.

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Gasoline can soften or dissolve certain plastics. Find out what the tile is made of and you can find what dissolves it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That was my idea. I havent seen the Volt exhaust routing. Does it go under the drivers seat? It obviously doesnt go under the battery.

Would be an interesting situation if that were the case, as I have stated numerous times in another thread that the Volt needs to do more to remind people the car is still on if they exit the vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Car was just electric on last trip. It has been in garage for a year and half. YEs there is a columb level two charger. It was plugged in. You can see at volt stats car name is sheila
http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/29
So many questions I am trying to get all of the answers yes they have car up now at dealer I will try to go by and get picture of underside

·
Registered
467 Posts
Did anyone try jump-starting the 12V battery?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm sort of wondering if this isn't a case of leaving the volt ON and plugging it in to the charger. It doesn't charge, and the ICE comes on eventually, the exhaust gets hot - the catalytic converter is about where the melted tiles are located. However, I don't understand why the Volt would be dead. Maybe it ran out of gas?

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You left the car running.

There seems to be no smoke damage. There seems to be no evidence of an actual fire.

The only source of real heat on the Volt that is located under the driver's side is the ICE exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe runs almost directly over the melted floor pattern of your garage floor.

If I had to guess: I would say you inadvertently left the car on all night. At some point the ICE started to maintain the battery. The heat from the exhaust pipe melted the floor tile.

I am guessing the shop will find absolutely nothing wrong with the Volt. (Except a dead battery from being left on.) I bet the Volt is out of gas too.

It's a bad idea to leave any car running in your garage. (Especially if your floor is made out of plastic.) Somehow you need to be more careful about shutting the car OFF when you get out.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have extensively debated this in another thread. This goes beyond just trying to be careful. In an unscientific poll with 100+ respondents, 30% admitted to leaving their car on accidentally. GM needs to do more. At a minimum, the exterior horn needs to sound in a unique pattern to alert the driver. At some point, if a good percentage of people are making mistakes like this (and they are), while you can't rule out personal accountability, the designers obviously failed to anticipate some design issues that would allow this to happen repeatedly. Not going to argue with anyone about this on this thread. I'm doing my own stuff on the backend that I hope to bring some 'heat' on GM over this.

Of course, this may or may not have anything to do with this issue, but it sounds like it.

Let's be thankful that there was nothing combustable under the car (like leaves) that could have caused a real house fire.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts