GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add 7-wire round harness option and free wheel electronic mode to allow flat towing behind Motorhome with 4 wheels on ground. Allow harness brake wire to activate proportional regen and turn/brake wires activate rear lights. The future Volt Cross-Over platform could become the most popular towed vehicle. Can be easily charged from 50A service outlet on most Motorhomes today.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Add 7-wire round harness option and free wheel electronic mode to allow flat towing behind Motorhome with 4 wheels on ground. Allow harness brake wire to activate proportional regen and turn/brake wires activate rear lights. The future Volt Cross-Over platform could become the most popular towed vehicle. Can be easily charged from 50A service outlet on most Motorhomes today.
So has the following information from Chevrolet been superceded by something??

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12161.html

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
@ JulieJoule,

The Volt is not capable of being flat towed behind a motor home. The result of the test was that there is not enough lubrication of the moving components in the transmission while the vehicle is turned off. The Volt requires a dolly for the front wheels at a minimum. If you have any further questions, please let me know how we can be of assistance.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
No, I think he's proposing changes.

Set it up so that the +12V wire on the plug powers up the transmission. Wire in the trailer brake controller to the regen and the tail lights.
Theoretically it could be done.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It is a great idea, but I think the problem in the short term is the size of the market for this. EVs are still a tiny sliver of the auto market. How many of those people are also motor home owners? Chevy is not going to spend development money on a microscopic market.

What if you leave the car turned on while towing it? Would that solve the transmission lubrication problem? Maybe something aftermarket could help with the other items (lights at least).

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
I came here looking for the advertised Toad... :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, GM used to make one of the most well like toad lines and it was called: Saturn. I see more Saturns being towed 4 down still today than a lot of other types of cars. I wish they would take a lesson-learned there.

//KMac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts