GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just imported a US spec'd 2013 Volt to Finland as 'muuttoauto'. Wonder if anyone knows if its possible to get some co2 emission certifications for US spec car? Finnish customs is asking for the data...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
You need NEDC figures, which are not available AFAIK.

If I were you I would present the EPA figures, demonstrably bettering the Gen 1, and then ask for the Gen 1 figures to be used as a worst case.

What are you proposing to do for warranty/repair? I would be tempted but just not that brave to deal with the hassle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is Gen1 Volt, Gen2 wasn't available yet and I'm not sure it still is. There are 2 service points for it here so that part is good.

Does EPA have any co2 numbers? I think even those would do, certainly better than the tax treatment based on pure vehicle weight...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The EPA issues a Certificate of Compliance to the manufacturer certifying that the vehicle is compliant with a given level of emissions. There is a plaque under the hood indicating which emission level your vehicle is compliant with. You will have to check the EPA website to find out what the maximum CO2 levels are.

Another thing to consider is the Volt only emits CO2 when the ICE is running. If you are going to operate your Volt on electricity only most of the time you should not be penalized for the emission levels to which the car is certified as this value is for a vehicle that operates 100% of the time on gas.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Another thing to consider is the Volt only emits CO2 when the ICE is running. If you are going to operate your Volt on electricity only most of the time you should not be penalized for the emission levels to which the car is certified as this value is for a vehicle that operates 100% of the time on gas.
CARB doesn't agree with you (although I do, and probably the majority of Volt owners, too).

·
1,308 Posts
The Volt and the essentially identical Opel Ampera were both sold in Europe. The Ampera certainly had NEDC ratings which you should be able to find by googling. I assume the European Volt would have been officially rated as well although it sold in small numbers in a smaller geographical area so it might be harder to find online data for it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hi,

I just imported a US spec'd 2013 Volt to Finland as 'muuttoauto'. Wonder if anyone knows if its possible to get some co2 emission certifications for US spec car? Finnish customs is asking for the data...
Sorry, misread, thought it was a new one.

Gen 1 Volt/Ampera is certified NEDC at 27g/km.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Volt and the essentially identical Opel Ampera were both sold in Europe. The Ampera certainly had NEDC ratings which you should be able to find by googling. I assume the European Volt would have been officially rated as well although it sold in small numbers in a smaller geographical area so it might be harder to find online data for it.
I already got a statement from the local Chevy dealer which said that the equivalent European car has emissions of 27g/100km. Customs did not accept this certificate as 'numbers may be different for American variant' - and if numbers are not 100% proven NEDC fact, all common sense gets lost and car gets taxed like it was 1800kg pure gasoline SUV. It's interesting that they are effectively asking for the IMPOSSIBLE proof (NEDC test cycle data for an American car). I guess the best I can hope now is that they would take the EPA numbers instead. I guess I will hear tomorrow..

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Importing cars is a tricky business. Seems like this is the kind of thing you want to have prepared before attempting to bring the car in. Maybe there is a car broker that is experienced with it and could help you get the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I already got a statement from the local Chevy dealer which said that the equivalent European car has emissions of 27g/100km. Customs did not accept this certificate as 'numbers may be different for American variant' - and if numbers are not 100% proven NEDC fact, all common sense gets lost
Point them at the chevrolet UK specifications;-

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/eap/volt.pdf

If you need anything further, I am sure I can persuade a Volt owner to copy their registration document with it on. I'll give you a copy of my Ampera reg if you like, but they might also argue about the model not being the same then.

You can also point them at the UK Government official website:-

http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-by-alt-fuel.aspx

Manufacturer Model Description Gearbox Engine size (cc) Fuel type............... CO2.....Tax band
CHEVROLET....Volt....Volt..............N/A........1398.............Electricity / Petrol......27........A

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke with the car inspection again - they said they don't accept generic fueleconomy.gov/EPA readings (wonder why), but some certification from the state of California would be fine. Anyone have any idea which paper they were referring to and where to get it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, misread, thought it was a new one.

Gen 1 Volt/Ampera is certified NEDC at 27g/km.
Yes, it's just that the customs did not believe these are the exact same car.

Thanks to Paul Hughes @ CARB, I got my hands on Volts original EU type approval papers. It does not list any variants of the car, all cars with the name Volt/Ampera are the same. I delivered this paper to the customs, let's see how they argue with that one. So far they have given me silence.

Thanks everyone, was really helpful.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
A Starbucks card is seldom considered a bribe, and if there is a second office you can deal with, you might try there.

Not sure about EU, but in America, different gov't offices behave differently, and in each office, different employees behave differently.

If you get someone with little tenure, with little experience, they will often say NO much easier to a rare situation. The tenured employees just want to get as much work as done per hour with no hassles.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hi,

1.2l/100km & 27g/km co2.

Retail price 22-24k€, precedence from Ampera imports from Germany and don't pay over 1-1,5k€ on taxes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, can you please help, we do have the same issue with the registration in Austria...any advise? Thank you in advance

1 - 19 of 19 Posts