GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 years I got a nice Level 2 Bosch Evse. Did the install myself, a short run from a 200 amp panel, used 10 gage with a 30 amp breaker. It was working fine for about 2 weeks loving the 3 1/2 hour full charge. Then it started interrupting first at 90% then eventually it won't accept the L2 charge for more than a couple minutes. And a check engine light appears. However the 120V level1 Evse works fine, flawless as always. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Try charging on another L2 EVSE like at the dealer, and see if you get the same result. If you get the same result it is the car. If not it is the EVSE.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
After 4 years I got a nice Level 2 Bosch Evse. Did the install myself, a short run from a 200 amp panel, used 10 gage with a 30 amp breaker. It was working fine for about 2 weeks loving the 3 1/2 hour full charge. Then it started interrupting first at 90% then eventually it won't accept the L2 charge for more than a couple minutes. And a check engine light appears. However the 120V level1 Evse works fine, flawless as always. Any ideas?
I would suspect an anomaly on your 240 volt line. Double check. Perhaps one leg momentarily drops out, causing the EVSE to shut down. Also, your new EVSE might be to blame. I assume that you have a Gen1. You might tell us more about your car.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Check the wiring. There is probably a loose connection that is finally completely open. It could also be the breaker contactor where it connects to the buss blades.

The breaker wiring connectors as well as the outlet connectors require quite a bit of torque for 10ga and bigger. For 8ga and bigger I use a Dewalt impact driver.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Check all the screw connections including the breakers. Every time power goes through these connections they heat a little. Then cool when the power is off. This heating and cooling causes the wire to expand and contract which can make the connection get loose over time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, took the car over to dealer, plugged into their L2 charger. Would not even initialize the charge. Made a service appointment for tomorrow. Came home plugged into my L2 charger, same story would not initialize the charge. (It had been at least starting, then dropping off after some time.) strange tho it is now plugged in to the standard L1 charger and happily charging away. Guess the service visit tomorrow will define the causation.

It's a 2011 Volt #2760

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I had that issue and it turned out a high voltage relay in the battery energy module had shorted/partially failed and needed replacement (they dropped the main battery). The tech said I could drive the car, but if the component completely failed I'd need a tow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealership has a charge port coming for install today. I should also acknowledge the excellent service I have always experienced at Cole Chevrolet in Schoolcraft MI.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the technician changed the charge port today, did not solve the problem. I did pick the car back up as I need it for the weekend. It is sitting in the garage happily charging at L1 now. I will take it back next week and let them have another shot at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well the technician changed the charge port today, did not solve the problem. I did pick the car back up as I need it for the weekend. It is sitting in the garage happily charging at L1 now. I will take it back next week and let them have another shot at it.
I wouldnt wait too long. Get er done

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Dang.

Please post the fix once they figure it out. Thx.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They installed 24276662 SL-N-Charger. They checked for codes P1E00. P0D26 and P1EFB . They checked the wiring from the charge port to the charger-OK. Added Coolant and programmed system. All at no charge on the Voltec 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty. That Voltec warranty was a big factor in buying this car 4 years ago. Glad I got a L2 charger and found this issue at 80,000 on the odometer.
2011 Veridion Joule #2760

1 - 14 of 14 Posts