GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just woke up this morning to head out for work, and I cannot for the life of me unplug my Volt. As a result, I'm also unable to drive it to work. Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else.

I did a quick search online and found this Technical Service Bulletin (copy and pasted below), which at least lets me know that this is a known issue. However, I personally don't recall seeing anyone talk about it. What's the solution? Short of anything else, I'm afraid I'll have to call GM and have the car towed into the dealership, all over such a silly issue.

TSB Number: PIC-5565 NHTSA Number: 10042324 TSB Date: October 1, 2011 Date Added to File: December 6, 2011
Failing Component:
Electrical System
Summary:
Chevrolet: on certain vehicles, cord cannot be removed from receptacle if the charge cord handle latch is stuck. Can not shift vehicle out of park if this arises. Updated 12/7/11.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You didn't say, but it sounds like you have the older version. Many of these were replaced under warranty for various problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Happened to me. The "trigger" no longer operated the latch. I got it out by twisting and yanking. Didn't damage anything. I couldn't find any easy way into the assembly. Chevy replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
906 Posts
trying to jiggle out the cord will likely place a hairline crack in the receptacle.. my dealer told me that there's a newer charger receptacle being introduced that will eliminate many of these issues.. I didnt realize till this thread that this has gone back a ways.. so maybe a new charge receptacle is not in the works.. not sure...
-Christopher

·
Registered
60 Posts
It happened to me. The evse had already been upgraded when I purchased my Volt [2012]. The volt was parked outside the garage, blocking my wifes car in the garage. I called Onstar. They put a adviser on, who talked me through the process of removing the evse.
There is a top and bottom half to the handle. Basically you need to pry the top off. At that point you can easily lift the latch. I then took the car and evse to the closest dealer. They made me sit in the waiting room for a hour or two while they checked it out. It was Christmas Eve. Luckily they were open in the morning. They did swap the evse for another one, after they determined that there was no problem with the socket end on the car.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The one that failed for me was the upgraded one. I may have used it 2 times before mine failed. I almost never use my L1 charger.

I also had to wait a while as well for them to check out the charger as the Volt Tech was not in yet.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I just looked at the fitting on my Clipper Creek and the screws are closet to the hinge (facing the front of the car) so there would be no way to get a screw driver in there, but I could very easily grasp the hook with a needle nose pliers and pull it open.

3,608 Posts
I just woke up this morning to head out for work, and I cannot for the life of me unplug my Volt. As a result, I'm also unable to drive it to work. Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else.

I did a quick search online and found this Technical Service Bulletin (copy and pasted below), which at least lets me know that this is a known issue. However, I personally don't recall seeing anyone talk about it. What's the solution? Short of anything else, I'm afraid I'll have to call GM and have the car towed into the dealership, all over such a silly issue.

TSB Number: PIC-5565 NHTSA Number: 10042324 TSB Date: October 1, 2011 Date Added to File: December 6, 2011
Failing Component:
Electrical System
Summary:
Chevrolet: on certain vehicles, cord cannot be removed from receptacle if the charge cord handle latch is stuck. Can not shift vehicle out of park if this arises. Updated 12/7/11.
Good Morning Pavers123,

I apologize for the concern with your charge cord. If you are still experiencing this please PM me with the last 8 of your VIN and contact number, I would like to look into it for you.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your helpful information. In the end, I too, was given some guidance on how to pry open the handle with a screwdriver to manually release the lock it has on the receptical. So I did that, and my Volt is now free at last from the grasps of the L1 Charger.

Just want to add for any future readers to make sure that you unplug the charger before doing this. Easy to forget, but probably important to improve safety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the bulletin because my charger became stuck, and it says to pry apart the top and bottom parts of the handle. I have a replacement cord, and it has four screws, two star screws and two phillips (one is hard to remove because of the charging door). The charging cord for my 2014 Volt has six screws! So, depending on the model of your cord, the handle will pry apart, require removing four screws (in the dark????), or removing six screws.

Once the handle was apart, I could remove the charger. There was no apparent reason for the handle to have gotten stuck. I am going back for a warranty replacement anyway...

#PIC5565A: EREV Procedure For Removing Charge Cord From Receptacle If Cord Handle Latch Is Stuck - (Oct 18, 2011)

Subject:

EREV Procedure For Removing Charge Cord From Receptacle If Cord Handle Latch Is Stuck

https://gsi.ext.gm.com/images/999999995.gif

Models:

2011-2012 Chevrolet Volt

2012 Opel Ampera

Includes Domestic and Export Vehicles

This PI was superseded to update recommended field along with model and model years. Please discard PIC5565.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may experience a condition where the charge cord handle latch may stick and the cord cannot be removed from the receptacle. If this condition arises, the vehicle cannot be shifted out of park.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The following procedure should allow the charge cord to be released from the vehicle. It can then be driven and serviced by a Volt certified dealer.

Important: CHARGE CORD MUST BE DISCONNECTED FROM THE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY OUTLET PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE PROCEDURE BELOW.

Important: If the vehicle is connected to a level 2 or 240 volt charge station, start the vehicle by using the blue start button, and open the vehicle hood. When the ICE (engine) starts, the high voltage battery charging will be disabled and the procedure below can be attempted.

1. Use a suitable medium size flat blade screw driver.
Object ID: 2726234Click here for detailed picture of the image.

2. Insert screw driver into the seam on the side of the charge cord handle.
Object ID: 2726237Click here for detailed picture of the image.

3. Twist the screw handle to separate the two halves.
Object ID: 2726241Click here for detailed picture of the image.

4. Follow the seam with the blade of the screw driver to further separate and disengage the halves.
Object ID: 2726246Click here for detailed picture of the image.

5. Grasp and remove the upper half from the handle.
Object ID: 2726251Click here for detailed picture of the image.

6. Reinsert the screw driver in-between the latch and receptacle and pry upward on the latch while pulling on the handle with the free hand to disengage the handle from the vehicle.
Object ID: 2726259Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Object ID: 2726261Click here for detailed picture of the image.

After removal of the cord from the vehicle have the receptacle and cord set inspected and serviced by a Volt certified dealer.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

https://gsi.ext.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/999/999/999999994.gif

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Several months ago I greased the male and female portions of the charger with a light white grease. No problems yet, and engagement is easy.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.