GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a "new" 2013 model a couple of weeks ago and since day, I have had an issue with the charger port door. When I hit the button on the inside of the door, or on the remote, you can hear the motor attempting to push the door open, and you see if kind of "nudged" out. But it doesn't actually open!

I took the car to the dealer to have it fixed, they said it needed some new lubricant, they installed it and gave it back. I got the door to open the first time when I got home today but now it won't open again.

To get it open, I stick a piece of plastic inside the door and twist a bit while hitting the button on the remote; that's the only way I can get it open to charge it!

I uploaded a video of the issue here:

Before I waste time dropping off my car to a service department that doesn't quite "get it" - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Can't remember where it was, but search for YouTube videos on this
Someone shows exactly where you need to apply a bit of lube, et voilà, fixed.
When it starts to get sticky again, repeat.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I, too, have had a "new" 2013 for a couple months and the same issue. For me, it was worse when rainy or damp.

It must be GM standard practice as per the warranty manual to lubricate before replacing. They did the same thing -- greased it up and said I would be good to go. Of course, it wasn't -- kept sticking in poor weather -- and this time I was "fortunate" enough to throw a code (repeatedly pushing the charge door button will eventually throw a code when it won't open). Brought it back and they replaced it -- haven't had a problem since. These problems are why they did away with the auto door on the '14--I guess we should be glad we even have one (I do like it, overall).

Anyway, my replaced unit has been great and has a different seat and housing than the previous one -- it seems a better design and hopefully it will stay fixed.

Unfortunately, I think you have no choice but to take it back if you want to get the issue resolved.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
VoltenRock speaks the truth. There are several remedies for this, but the only one that lasts is to have the mechanism replaced. You should be covered under warranty. It is a common problem on 2011-13 models. Later Volts have a simpler (and better) design, like the fuel filler flap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the replacement port installed (Twice no less) and I still have issues to the point I got a CEL today. At this point I just lube it and deal. When it is very wet out I just press the button on my fob while putting some outward pressure on the door with my fingernail. This issue has brought my satisfaction with the Volt down from 12/10 to 11.9/10.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cut a piece of approx. 1/2 inch thick adhesive foam to a square the width of the hinge.

Adhere the foam to the car body just behind the hinge. When the charge door is closed the foam compresses but applies a slight pressure to the back of the hinge.

When the charge door release button is pushed the foam is allowed to act in a spring fashion as it decompresses when the electric release releases the catch to help push the door open.

Haven't had a problem since doing this but it won't help when the door is iced over. It's still a good idea to keep the hinge and the rubber seal lubricated. Moisture from dew or fog may condense on the door parts and freeze and hold fast the door even when it may not be obvious.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Cut a piece of approx. 1/2 inch thick adhesive foam to a square the width of the hinge.

Adhere the foam to the car body just behind the hinge. When the charge door is closed the foam compresses but applies a slight pressure to the back of the hinge.

When the charge door release button is pushed the foam is allowed to act in a spring fashion as it decompresses when the electric release releases the catch to help push the door open.

Haven't had a problem since doing this but it won't help when the door is iced over. It's still a good idea to keep the hinge and the rubber seal lubricated. Moisture from dew or fog may condense on the door parts and freeze and hold fast the door even when it may not be obvious.
Like this:

Charge-Door-Popper.jpg

See this post as well: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?88578-26K-LEAF-miles-now-a-Volt-owner&p=1255665#post1255665

Note, the door is spring loaded, it's not "pushed" when you hit the release key. Instead of a push, a pin is pulled down, allowing the door to pop open. You can see the hole the pin goes into at the left side of the picture above.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Steverino,

The photo you posted shows the foam on the hinge. I put my foam on the car. But it essentially works the same way. When the door is closed the foam is compressed. When the latch is released the foam wants to expand. The expansion is a push either off the car body or from it depending on the foam placement or orientation. The foam boosts the energy of the spring loaded charge door which is also pushing the door open, otherwise, if the door isn't pushed then it wouldn't be spring loaded. A fixed on one side expanding spring is pushing whatever is on it's other side.

Perhaps you thought I meant the door was pushed on from the outside.

Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just lubed mine with silicon spray (recommended by many on this site). It has been flawless for the last 18 months. With that being said, it has been in a garage for the last 14 months, so it is now out of the weather when charging.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Perhaps you thought I meant the door was pushed on from the outside.

Paul
I was responding to the OP's comment that "you can hear the motor attempting to push the door open". The car does not have motor that pushes the door open. As you said, the door is spring loaded instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information on this guys. I guess I'll tell the service guys to order a replacement so I can drop it off to get worked on it. I figure GM should at least make the effort on the repair before I go applying foam to the door. :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
W had the same issue 3x and after the door mechanism was replaced AND they adjusted it correctly, it has been good to go. A few times I have had to hit the release two or three times to get the door to open on its own - but it did. We also just moved up to Alaska and of course we know get to deal with ice... So far the only issue with ice has been, I can't open the door and I can't roll the windows down. Luckily remote start has been able to assist in the actual car doors being frozen shut.

Once I get our stuff put up and out of the garage, the volt goes back in and most of these won't be an issue in the morning for the wife, just leaving work in the afternoon.

3,600 Posts
Originally Posted by YarblekI had the replacement port installed (Twice no less) and I still have issues to the point I got a CEL today. At this point I just lube it and deal. When it is very wet out I just press the button on my fob while putting some outward pressure on the door with my fingernail. This issue has brought my satisfaction with the Volt down from 12/10 to 11.9/10.
Good Morning Yarblek,

I certainly do not like hearing that your dissatisfied with your Volt ownership experience. Have you worked with your Volt Advisor regarding any of your concerns? They are a fantastic resource to utilize when you are experiencing vehicle concerns. Let me know if I can contact them on your behalf to see if there is anything we can do to assist you with these concerns.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

3,600 Posts
Originally Posted by VoltenRockI, too, have had a "new" 2013 for a couple months and the same issue. For me, it was worse when rainy or damp.

It must be GM standard practice as per the warranty manual to lubricate before replacing. They did the same thing -- greased it up and said I would be good to go. Of course, it wasn't -- kept sticking in poor weather -- and this time I was "fortunate" enough to throw a code (repeatedly pushing the charge door button will eventually throw a code when it won't open). Brought it back and they replaced it -- haven't had a problem since. These problems are why they did away with the auto door on the '14--I guess we should be glad we even have one (I do like it, overall).

Anyway, my replaced unit has been great and has a different seat and housing than the previous one -- it seems a better design and hopefully it will stay fixed.

Unfortunately, I think you have no choice but to take it back if you want to get the issue resolved.
Hi VoltenRock,

I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I'd like to see if your Volt Advisor could provide you a bit of support to get this concern resolved. Having the charge port door working properly is essential for an EV! Just shoot me a PM if I can be of assistance.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

3,600 Posts
Originally Posted by VigileI bought a "new" 2013 model a couple of weeks ago and since day, I have had an issue with the charger port door. When I hit the button on the inside of the door, or on the remote, you can hear the motor attempting to push the door open, and you see if kind of "nudged" out. But it doesn't actually open!

I took the car to the dealer to have it fixed, they said it needed some new lubricant, they installed it and gave it back. I got the door to open the first time when I got home today but now it won't open again.

To get it open, I stick a piece of plastic inside the door and twist a bit while hitting the button on the remote; that's the only way I can get it open to charge it!

I uploaded a video of the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2iipqci7MQ

Before I waste time dropping off my car to a service department that doesn't quite "get it" - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Hello Vigile,

I'm sorry to learn you're experiencing ongoing trouble with your charge port door. I realize this is less than ideal for an electric vehicle. Have you worked with your Volt Advisor at all? They can usually be a fantastic resource to use when experiencing vehicle concerns. Just shoot me a PM with your VIN if I can assist you with getting in contact with them. If not, the phone number is available in my signature.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 15 of 15 Posts