GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a dealer is trained and certified to service a Volt can he also use the same diagnostic equipment for the Spark. One would think so since the spark is much simpler.
Anybody know??

WOT??

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
There are some similarities, but also differences. I'd say the learning curve will be shorter for a Volt technician as a result. But the battery's are different, as are the cooling systems and the drive train.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are some similarities, but also differences. I'd say the learning curve will be shorter for a Volt technician as a result. But the battery's are different, as are the cooling systems and the drive train.
While you're correct that the batteries are different including the internal "heat exchanger", you'll find that the thermal components external to the battery are similar.

OP - apologies, I am not knowledgeable about the dealership service certification process.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well, Volt certification is NOT ELR certification. And Volt certified techs are not authorized to work on ELRs except in emergencies with GM assist. The Spark is differenter from the Volt than the ELR so...

Haven't heard an update in several months but back then dual Cadillac/Chevrolet dealerships with Volt techs had to get them ELR certified just like everyone else.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Volt certification is NOT ELR certification. And Volt certified techs are not authorized to work on ELRs except in emergencies with GM assist. The Spark is differenter from the Volt than the ELR so...

Haven't heard an update in several months but back then dual Cadillac/Chevrolet dealerships with Volt techs had to get them ELR certified just like everyone else.
My guess is that there is some special software involved to make the diagnostic equip to work w/ Spark (not to mention service person training).

So my fantasy about getting an AZ Volt dealer to work on my imported Spark ain't going to work out.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have both Owner Manuals (Volt and Spark EV), and from the owner's point, the Spark EV is simpler to maintain. Both use the same coolant for the battery and electronics.

We need the POV of a Chevrolet dealer, especially one that is in California and has trained service personnel on both vehicles.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Outside of warranty work there's not going to be any near term maintenance for the Spark EV, right?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I was worried about servicing a Spark EV outside of the 3 states where they are sold.
I contacted GM and got this reply:
Dear Mr. Norton,

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the Spark EV! We appreciate the time you have taken to write us and for allowing us the opportunity to assist you this morning.

In regards to your inquiry, when purchasing a vehicle, you do have the option to choose any dealership to purchase from. However, please do note that when registering the vehicle is will be register in the state you are currently resident of and unfortunately, if you are not a resident of California, Oregon, or Maryland you will not have the ability to purchase the Chevrolet Spark EV.

The current plan is to sell and register the Spark EV to residents in California, Oregon, and Maryland. There are no plans for distribution outside of CA and OR at this time, but we will continue to study and evaluate other opportunities. There will be very limited vehicle service availability outside CA, OR and MD. If you have any further questions, our Marketing Support Department can provide you with product, promotion, and incentive information, as well as assist you with locating a vehicle. If there is anything that we can assist with, please reply to this e-mail or by phone at the number listed below with your specific inquiry and we will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

At Chevrolet, we strive to provide exceptional customer service, and welcome the opportunity to earn your business. If we can be of any further assistance please email us or call 1-800-950-2438 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8am to 9pm Eastern Time, and Saturday 9am to 6pm. Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com

I then asked twice for clarification on: There will be very limited vehicle service availability outside CA, OR and MD.
I didn't get any more replies.

This slowed me down for a little while, but I bought one and dragged it home anyway.
I love it! It suits my around town driving needs perfectly. I lent my gasser to a family member in need, so I haven't had gasoline in my driveway for over 2 weeks now.
It has such a great range that I never plug in at home anymore, only at work. Plus there are 13 DCFC stations around town that are free and I use them as needed on weekends.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Always nice to get a reply. But the larger question is the used Spark EV's that are appearing in other states. I was tempted to get one... got another Volt instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OP, I have a family member who is employed as a mechanic for a Chevrolet dealership in Wisconsin. He investigated the issue of servicing a Spark EV at his dealership. He looked up the VIN of my Spark to see how to order parts for it, and a caution came up saying that his dealership is not authorized to order parts for the vehicle, as they are special order. So his service manager said they wouldn't touch it, even for non-electrical related warranty work. reason being is that the manager of undue that Chevrolet would refund them for the claim for warranty work performed on a Spark EV. Side note... the dealership has volt mechanics.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Dang, That's not good to hear.
I showed up with my Spark EV at the dealership that used to service my Volt to get a safety inspection for titling.
I talked with the Service Manager about working on it and he said it would be no problem.
He said at the worst they'd have to order in special tools if it came to that.

GM should come out with an actual policy on these fantastic cars.
More and more are finding homes in other than the 3 states where they are sold.
What about Canada? Aren't they for sale there?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
This whole subject deserves some sort of knowledgeable, connected response from a moderator or a GM EV Team Member.

Hello? Is there an official policy?

Or are Spark EV owners at the mercy of Chevy dealerships everywhere?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So anyone that picked up a used Spark EV outside of CA/OR/MD every get one serviced successfully at a dealer outside those 3 states?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread earlier (quite a while back now ;) )
A coupe of things
Much of the Spark training for service overlaps with the Volt, so technicians trained and experienced with the Volt should have no issues dealing with the Spark EV. In fact anyone that has their Volt training can take the web-based training on the Spark EV to get up to speed.

All GM shops would have access to the service information and programming tools so there's no issues there whatsoever.

Tools. Many of the same diagnostic tools for the Volt are used on the Spark EV.
The exception would be those required for lithium ion battery replacement (which is of course rare) where there are a few tools they wouldn't have on hand (different lifting straps, battery enclosure smoke test adapters, de-powering tool adapters things like that.
But all of these are available now on LOAN from Bosch (a new GM-Bosch program) so they could get them if necessary.

In any case I certainly wouldn't have any concerns about bringing a Spark EV into any state.
In Canada I know the Spark is now offered country-wide by all Volt dealers (no longer fleet only) so they are already prepared and trained.

WOT

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
About 14 months ago I bought and towed home a Spark EV 800 miles.
I took it to the dealership that serviced my Volt for a Safety Inspection to get it registered.

I haven't been back since then.!!
19K miles, no service needed, $35 spent on plugging in at home during the dead of winter for Battery TMS.
So tires are my only expense in this little EV Hot Rod !! At 97k miles a drive unit ATF fluid change is called for. (Big deal)...

I do get a glitch, rarely, where the climate control does not display changes made to the controls even though it responds to the controls.
A reboot fixes it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts