GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear-ended a couple of days ago, stopped for traffic and a dude in a Juke slammed into the back of me at 20-25mph, and knocked me into the car in front.

Here's his car:

I saw his front end in my rearview and was afraid to look at the back of my car.
But the Volt took the hit quite well:

As you can see, the liftgate took a hit and is bent inward, the rearview camera is dead. But the tailgate opens and closes, and the car drives just fine.

Volts are tough little cars!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Up until recently, nobody seemed to have died from a collision while in a Volt.
I think the Gen 1 Volt is still fatality-free....the recent fatal accident involving a Volt was actually a 2016.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think you are greatly overestimating the actual speed at which he struck your car. If you were indeed stopped, as you say, there is no way that he hit you at 20+ mph and did that little damage to your car. My guess is along the lines of "Objects in the mirror are faster than they appear". ;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Up until recently, nobody seemed to have died from a collision while in a Volt. Tesla could only say that for two years. The Volt got five.
While I appreciate the engineering that went into the Volt, I think the likelihood of fatal accidents has at least as much to do with the type of personality that's attracted to various types of cars. I may be wrong here, but I think of Volt owners by and large as being very practical minded and Tesla owners (at least of the Model S) as being very performance minded.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
While I appreciate the engineering that went into the Volt, I think the likelihood of fatal accidents has at least as much to do with the type of personality that's attracted to various types of cars. I may be wrong here, but I think of Volt owners by and large as being very practical minded and Tesla owners (at least of the Model S) as being very performance minded.
The first Model S fatality was a guy who stole a car from a Tesla service center and got into a high speed chase. (I think I read he was hired to wash the cars on the lot at night, so had access to the key fob.) The eventual collision, at super legal speeds, literally split the car in two. The front half of the car flew into the side of a building.

Guess it lends credence to the old saying that when you build a more idiot-proof product, the world just invents better idiots...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
In addition, one also needs to look at the type of accidents that resulted in deaths.
A thief driving over 100mph and cutting the car in half on a traffic light pole (he survived the impact, but died in the hospital), and a drop off a cliff of over 100 feet.

As noted, the type of drivers in the cars, and the type of activity plays a big role in this.
As for safety rating, the Model S scored higher than the Volt.

Both cars are extremely well engineered. But if you want to compare safety, you need to look at the whole picture.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Glad the OP is well. Saw a low speed collision (maybe 15mph) with a Chevy Truck hitting a Ford Fusion stopped at a traffic light, the truck skidded on wet pavement. All humans were fine but the back of that Fusion looked WAY worse than the OP's photos.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Up until recently, nobody seemed to have died from a collision while in a Volt. Tesla could only say that for two years. The Volt got five.
If my Volt had the acceleration and the range of a Tesla (or if I owned a Tesla), who's to say that I'd still be alive.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts