GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had anticipated being well into the whole Voltebago thing by now but...best laid plans and all of that. Anyway, I tried to set up the Napier 86000 yesterday for the first time. I was alone and while it wasn't difficult to get the basics a second set of hands would have helped greatly.
My issue is with attaching the tent sleeve over the hatch. I found a spot under the hood to secure it and close the hood. The attachment for the rear wheel well didn't go so well. It seems our back end is very short in relation to the well and I had issues there. Also, getting the lower apron or sleeve situated didn't seem to work right.
Has anyone used this tent before and can offer any tips?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have no experience with this tent. I haven't been camping for years. I looked at pictures of the tent with various hatchbacks. What advantages do you feel you get compared to a stand-alone tent?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing. Why do you want to be able to get into your car from the tent? I don't get it. Please explain why this is useful.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Isn't one advantage of the attached tent that you can use the car's climate controls for heating or cooling while you are in the tent? I thought that was the main advantage.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Isn't one advantage of the attached tent that you can use the car's climate controls for heating or cooling while you are in the tent? I thought that was the main advantage.
I'd think so, but then are you 'really' camping? :)

Google search shows all types of hatchback tents

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing. Why do you want to be able to get into your car from the tent? I don't get it. Please explain why this is useful.
You want to get into the car because that's where all your camping crap is. Think in the rain, tromping in and out of the tent to get to your stuff... Minimal unloading of the car!
I like the idea!

But then using it for EV air conditioning?
I love the idea !!
(except for when the battery runs down and the engine starts. You could wake up dead in the morning....Is there a way to keep that from happening?)

But then the skeeters... They are tricky little bast...s.
And rain, how does it seal the rain from getting in and running down the hatch opening and into the tent?

It will need a really good seal at the perimeter of the car connection.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I love the idea !!
(except for when the battery runs down and the engine starts. You could wake up dead in the morning....Is there a way to keep that from happening?)
There is a fuse that can be pulled that would do this but I don't remember which off the top of my head. Actually when this specific fuse is pulled on the Gen1, the ICE will start briefly for like 10-20sec then immediately shut down with a CEL you would then have to clear with an OBD-II tool so I suppose this wouldn't be recommended!:rolleyes:

Keeping the Volt turned ON with a tent attached to the tailgate would be sketchy at best since if the ICE ever did engage couldn't the exhaust tailpipe melt or even worse catch the tent on fire and as you mentioned you would be huffing exhaust fumes...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
If you just need to car camp overnight during a trip or already have a small tent to stash gear here's an idea: http://www.habitents.com/
These folks could probably expand their line up with enough interest.
And if pointed into the breeze you could use AC, even if the the ICE came on and cycled all night, probably not....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love the idea !!
It is absolutely ok even when the engine starts as long as the car is parked outdoors. There is really no difference than driving at low speed with climate control on. Natural airflow outdoors will disperse excess exhaust fume very quickly. I have done this many times outdoors. And, one time, I forgot my sleeping bag. So, I just turned the temperature higher. Another time, I tried to just leave the car off and windows cracked. It got too cold with outside temperature dropping to the low 40's. I turned the car back on to get some heat. Worked really really well.

I have also done this indoors a few times but plugged in. So, the engine never started and I got a full charge in the morning.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
It is absolutely ok even when the engine starts as long as the car is parked outdoors. .....
Are we talking about the tent that the OP is talking about? Google the model he is talking about. The tailpipe may be in or barely outside the tent. I was asking if it can even be made skeeter proof around the car's rear.
Now if you're at a camp site with power, even better!
Then you don't have to worry about the engine coming on when the battery has depleted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This thread with "Camping" in the title might draw some people with experience.

Does anyone know if the A/C can be run all night on the battery without the generator coming on?

Need to put a rubber band on the shifter button so the car doesn't turn itself off in 90 minutes (I think 90.) But should run all night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts