GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two GE Watt Stations that I use for my 2015 Volt and I'm looking at a 2017 Bolt Premier. Haven't done a lot of homework on this though and does anyone know if the GE Wattstation (plug in) is compatible with the 2017 Bolt? Fast charging is not important but compatibility would be.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (no camera:( )
24 Posts
If it has the J1772 connection (which is what the volt would use), it should work for most North American EVs (tho not Tesla I believe). Bolt might also have DC fast charge capability, but should also have standard J1772connector.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
If it has the J1772 connection (which is what the volt would use), it should work for most North American EVs (tho not Tesla I believe). Bolt might also have DC fast charge capability, but should also have standard J1772connector.
Tesla offers/provides a simple adaptor to fit J1772 schnozzles into the charge port on the car. There are adaptors that work the other way from Tesla destination chargers (such as an owner might have at home) to fit J1772 charge ports, but they're a little pricey to just have at about $150.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I'm not aware of how the Tesla charging stations work. When approaching the station, or when plugging in, is there a verification that the car is, indeed, a Tesla car, a check of the VIN or some other verification before the electrons flow? Otherwise, making a $150 investment might be worth being able to access the Tesla charging stations for some people. It wouldn't for me, that's for sure, since I have my own garage and "charging station" (a.k.a. Duosida).

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tesla offers/provides a simple adaptor to fit J1772
Thanks. I obviously need to do more homework. And, I probably should just try to sell both of my GE Wattstations however I suspect I can remove the cord having the end that is compatible for my Volt and reinstall a complete new cord compatible for the Bolt. The GE Wattstations have been flawless in the 5 and 8 years they have been in service and I wired the 240 service for both. My brain is on "low power" these days and I might hire a real electrician to do the job for me.

The real challenge for me though is if I make a deal on Wednesday at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas to trade in my 2015 Volt on a new Bolt, driving 160 miles back home might give me "range anxiety" and I'll be forced to sing "Home, home on the range..."

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
The real challenge for me though is if I make a deal on Wednesday at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas to trade in my 2015 Volt on a new Bolt, driving 160 miles back home might give me "range anxiety" and I'll be forced to sing "Home, home on the range..."
Well, then, haul up Plugshare.com and find a couple of fast-chargers between there and home, get signed up with EVGo or whatever you see listed on your typical destination routes that are further than about that far from home, and see how it goes. My bet is that once you've gotten that trivial amount of research done ahead of time, you'll get home and wonder what you were ever worried about...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I have two GE Watt Stations that I use for my 2015 Volt and I'm looking at a 2017 Bolt Premier. Haven't done a lot of homework on this though and does anyone know if the GE Wattstation (plug in) is compatible with the 2017 Bolt? Fast charging is not important but compatibility would be.
If it's a J-1772 plug, it's compatible. If it charges the Volt it will charge the Bolt. It will charge at the rate of the Watt Station or the car whichever is lower.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not aware of how the Tesla charging stations work. When approaching the station, or when plugging in, is there a verification that the car is, indeed, a Tesla car, a check of the VIN or some other verification before the electrons flow? Otherwise, making a $150 investment might be worth being able to access the Tesla charging stations for some people. It wouldn't for me, that's for sure, since I have my own garage and "charging station" (a.k.a. Duosida).
You just plug the Supercharger into your Tesla and it starts charging. It charges (bills) the credit card on file in your Tesla account. I have done this, I have a Model S.
I don't believe a Supercharger would work in a non Tesla car with an adapter.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BREAKING NEWS
I bought a 2022 Bolt EUV and drove it home 180 miles and still had 40 miles left as I pulled into the ranch.

I look back on the first Volt I purchased "Dusty" a 2012 that I hypermiled in, the second Volt I special ordered "Dusty Too" that I never hypermiled (and traded in for the Bolt) and as I sat in the showroom at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas, it was hard to "let go" of Dusty Too (very hard, I loved that car and hope Dusty Too will find a good home and owner.

About 50 miles after leaving Classic Chevrolet, I was no longer missing Dusty Too because the Bolt EUV was so much better than the Volts I previously owned. I named the Bolt EUV "Dusty 3." I am absolutely blown away at the comfort, technology and features of the 2022 Bolt EUV.

Best of luck to all on this forum. GM-Volt has been a valued website for me for nearly 20 years and this more than likely is my last post as I move on to all electric.

·
Administrator
20,903 Posts
Have fun. Other than being an ugly shoe and having the cargo space of a child's purse, I'm sure they are great.
We love our 2017 Bolt and our 2011 Volt. The Bolt cargo space accommodates taller things better than the Volt, but the Volt's cargo area is a bit longer. I also use the Bolt's roof rails a fair amount, something the Volt does not have. Lot's of headspace and passenger space in the Bolt compared to the Volt. Regarding looks, I like both. I like the Bolt's shape, I also like the Honda Fit.

The Bolt is typically our go to car and it has LOTS of range, even in the winter. If I had to replace our Volt today, I'd consider another Bolt.

Ugly shoe is what trucks look like to me, yet it doesn't stop people buying them. :) YMMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts