GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the pictures of the "T" battery it appears to be quite large. How does it compare to the size of the EV1's battery? The EV1 was a pretty small car that could go 200+ miles on a charge. The Volt battery does not look like it would even fit in the EV1 and it only goes 40 miles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The EV1 is base just like the "T" shape as the volt's battery pack. I would guess it the same size as a battery shape, not the energy value. Keep in mind, Why it could go farther then the volt? The volt is a bigger car, less aerodynamic, more weight then the EV1. The trade off for the volt is 4 people can enter the car over the two two seat that EV can have. The volt have an engine that can be recharge the battery that EV1 can't. The volt have a 10 year battery lifetime then the EV1 battery. The volt battery is not likely explosive then the EV1 battery. That just the trade off between the EV1 and the volt.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Volt Battery Size

There was an article somewhere that compared the EV1 and Volt T batteries. I can't find it, but this recent GM-volt article shows the same picture from that article: http://gm-volt.com/2008/06/09/gm-chevy-volt-battery-contract-not-decided-yet/
If I remember correctly, the silver volt battery pack is estimated to be about 375 pounds, while the black EV1 battery pack was about 1200 lbs? If anyone else remembers, please forward that link. I guess the lead plates and acid weigh more than the Volt pack that has a lot of air space between the individual Li-ion cells.

·
Registered
495 Posts
From the pictures of the "T" battery it appears to be quite large. How does it compare to the size of the EV1's battery? The EV1 was a pretty small car that could go 200+ miles on a charge. The Volt battery does not look like it would even fit in the EV1 and it only goes 40 miles.
Forgive the fuzzy picture, but it compares the size of the EV1 pack to the size of the Volt pack. The Volt pack is less than 1/3rd the weight of the EV1 pack and almost the same energy capacity of the first-generation EV1. But even so, you won't see EV1 ranges (up to 163 on NiMH from what I've seen) because the Volt is heavy and not as aerodynamic.

On the first picture:
Left = EV1 (NiMH @ 26kWh capacity, LA @ 18kWh)
Right = Volt (Li-ion @ 16kWh capacity)

Second picture is a lot better detail, it shows two packs on the Volt. Lutz says they won't use the nice stainless steel design since owners won't see them anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8uF8QKfeI

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info. Gosh if they create a smaller, lighter commuter Volt version it could have nearly a 200-mile range on 8kWh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts