GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please share this video with other Volt owners that are in Sandy's path this week..... it really is a great benefit to have.

http://youtu.be/3-0EcpyJbfM

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mr. Energy Czar rocks.

Only thing that could've made this video even better would've been a cameo appearance by Ms. GotSolar. :D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Without using the traction battery, I'm not sure what makes this better than using any other vehicle to power a 12V inverter?

I have to wonder how much strain it puts on the Volt's Dc-Dc converter?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why does the ICE come one 10 min every hour? I thought that the 12V battery is getting charged from the HV battery..
After the battery is drawn down the engine will come on briefly to bring it back to the 30% state of charge....and keep repeating....it's a lot shorter than 10 mins, I couldn't edit it out and change it...

·
Registered
665 Posts
One note

For those of us with Volts that live outside, you will likely need this sort of thing during bad weather, and keeping a window open in a storm isn't an option. So, instead, run the extension cord out of the back of the hatch. The hatch can close and latch even with an extension cord coming out thanks to the weatherstripping. Same effect but no water in the car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What happens if you exceed the capacity? Just a blown fuse or something worse?

I'm really hoping someone comes up with a well-thought through kit to leverage the traction battery, but not counting on it. This would be a huge draw for Volt sales with more and more people on the east coast that have been going for a couple weeks a year without power (ie. me who lives in the Washington DC area).

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What happens if you exceed the capacity? Just a blown fuse or something worse?

I'm really hoping someone comes up with a well-thought through kit to leverage the traction battery, but not counting on it. This would be a huge draw for Volt sales with more and more people on the east coast that have been going for a couple weeks a year without power (ie. me who lives in the Washington DC area).
You can go up two 240watt inverters but I went with two 180watt ones to ensure I would always be below the max. This way if you exceed the inverter maximum the inverter would blow, not the fuse or circuit.... I also prefer pure sine wave so I don't have to figure out which sensitive devices I can run without damaging them. DC Fusor would be able to elaborate more on this stuff....

MrEnergyCzar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts