GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been a lot of talk concerning bike racks and how they'll drag if traversing a sudden change in slope (grade break), like entering a driveway. I took some measurements today to confirm that the front splitter is the Volt's limiting factor, not a bike rack, even with a low-hanging hitch (Curt) and rack (Xport Flatbed) like I have. A high-mounted hitch and rack does nothing but ruin your aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

These measurements were taken by centering the front and rear axles on a transverse piece of 1/2" rebar. I then took a longitudinal and vertical measurement at the furthest point from the axle and calculated slope (%) and angle (degrees).

Below are the numbers sorted from most likely to scrape to least likely to scrape. (larger numbers mean more clearance).

Front Air Dam (designed to scrape)
Maximum Grade Break = 12.8%
Maximum Angle = 7.3 degrees

Front Splitter (the plastic that sticks out above the air dam)
Maximum Grade Break = 22.0%
Maximum Angle = 12.2 degrees

Performance Brand - Xport Flatbed Bike Rack
Maximum Grade Break = 23.4%
Maximum Angle = 13.2 degrees

Curt Class 2 Receiver
Maximum Grade Break = 26.8%
Maximum Angle = 15.0 degrees

Reverse Light
Maximum Grade Break = 37.5%
Maximum Angle = 20.6 degrees

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks for the data and the picture. This low type of mount just may work better than I thought. Being in PA you must come upon many angled approaches etc. Has your experience been rather scrape free with the mount?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My air dam scrapes a few times per week but its designed to scrape. Other than that I am scrape free.

Thanks for the data and the picture. This low type of mount just may work better than I thought. Being in PA you must come upon many angled approaches etc. Has your experience been rather scrape free with the mount?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just found this thread, thanks for the info. I'm looking at a Torklift hitch and trying to decide between the Stealth or Invisi models. I was concerned about the ground clearance of the Stealth, this clears that up. Also, love that muddy MTB, that's exactly what they're supposed to look like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts