GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was really excited about getting a Volt as my next car... until I brought my 3 month old and his car seat along for a test drive today. The back seats are angled such that I couldn't get his car seat base installed with the LATCH at a safe level (the bubble was outside the lines at the end of the range). I did it in the driver's side back seat instead of the middle, as I didn't want the base pressing down on the cupholder in the middle. I didn't try doing it with the seat belt, but I imagine it'd be the same. It's a Chicco Keyfit 30. Has anyone had luck with a convertible car seat in the back seat? I either need to wait to get a Volt until he's ready to come out of the infant car seat, or look at another car.

Thanks all!

Edit to add: I know about the rolled up towel and pool noodle tricks, but I'd rather have the car seat installed correctly and safely if possible.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Was really excited about getting a Volt as my next car... until I brought my 3 month old and his car seat along for a test drive today. The back seats are angled such that I couldn't get his car seat base installed with the LATCH at a safe level (the bubble was outside the lines at the end of the range). I did it in the driver's side back seat instead of the middle, as I didn't want the base pressing down on the cupholder in the middle. I didn't try doing it with the seat belt, but I imagine it'd be the same. It's a Chicco Keyfit 30. Has anyone had luck with a convertible car seat in the back seat? I either need to wait to get a Volt until he's ready to come out of the infant car seat, or look at another car.

Thanks all!
Stop by your local fire/rescue, they are supposed to be trained in car seat fitting issues...This is the list for North Carolina
http://www.safercar.gov/cpsApp/cps/ak/3/findfitting.htm?q_State=NC&q_Zip=

If they can't fit it, they can find out the information from the manufacturers easier than you can...:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 2 car seats installed in my volt a Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 and a Diono Radian. While the way they implemented the seat cushion and the LATCH leaves something to be desired, it was acceptable for me and I feel my kids are secure back there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We had a baby car seat and a convertible car seat in my wife's volt for two years. The key fit has a mechanism that raises the base (I think you have to push down on a button on each side to release). We had no issues leveling the infant car seat appropriately - without any towels, etc. and I would say the latch system is about the same as on her Jeep Grand Cherokee which we bought to replace her Volt. I have a Britax convertible installed in my Volt and it is more snug than I can get the kids Radian convertibles in the Jeep. I did cover each seat with a Eddie Bauer car seat pad before installing.

I actually think the Volt is one of the safest cars for rear seat passengers given the presence of the battery underneath the two rear seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had a baby car seat and a convertible car seat in my wife's volt for two years. The key fit has a mechanism that raises the base (I think you have to push down on a button on each side to release). We had no issues leveling the infant car seat appropriately - without any towels, etc.
Interesting. I did raise the base to the max and it still wasn't leveled (it was close though). Our little dude's head was definitely falling forward in the seat though. I wonder if the angle of the seat changed slightly with the back seat redesign for 2016.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have a Graco Milestone and Graco extend2fit in my Gen1. Both convertibles, and they fit great.

The Chicco base has 2 orange buttons on the base that you press to release a foot to lift the rear by the seat back, did you try that and still too angled?

Convertible might be the way to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rear Facing in GEN I

The only issue I had with my GEN I is I can't fit a rear facing seat behind the driver [six-foot]. There aren't many cars that I can place a rear facing seat behind the driver and sit comfortably.

14 - 1.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting. I did raise the base to the max and it still wasn't leveled (it was close though). Our little dude's head was definitely falling forward in the seat though. I wonder if the angle of the seat changed slightly with the back seat redesign for 2016.
Oddly enough, I just installed the same base into our cars this weekend in preparation for baby #2, who is due tomorrow (although I think she might be late). I discovered the same, even with letting out the base to max height, it still wasn't level.
My solution was to put a rolled up towel under it. The other option people use is a solid pool noodle (link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkhB0StWzw) or you could buy a leveler from Amazon, there are several options, here's one: http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Rite-Seat-Installation-Grey/dp/B005PK1CN4/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1464186765&sr=1-1&keywords=car+seat+angle
If you were to put your child in the middle, make sure you use the belt and not the inside latch hooks. The latch hooks are made to be used together and using one or the other will just cause them to bend in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have two seats in mine. One huge Orbit Baby rear facing and a Cosco forward facing.

The space front to back is larger than my dual cab pickup truck so there is PLENTY of space in the Volt.

My main concern is to put a 3rd baby (arriving in September)... I might not be able to fit one rear facing, one forward facing and a booster seat...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Soo, I have 4 car seats so I did a little Lego in order to see if I would be able to fit my family in the car in September.

In September I will have
- newborn rear facing in a shell
- 1.5yo forward facing in a seat
- 3yo forward facing in a seat, not heavy enough for a booster seat.

The short version is: impossible

The only way to fit would be to have the shell in the center and the two seats each side, which is quite impossible to do day to day because I would have to unlatch one of the side seats to access and remove the center shell.

So someone with the 3rd kid just old enough for a booster seat is OK as he can remove the booster easily to get to the center. In my case. Nogo.

I tried to fit one seat forward facing in the center but it's not wide enough.

I tried putting two bases so I can use the second seat rear facing for a while.. doesn't fit either.
And inverting the seats is no go

So I have to sell the Volt or use the truck every single time we carry the family (errands and cottage and visits and ...), only time with the Volt.woild be my commute for the first year when I only have two kids at daycare.

Now the question is how can I not loose too much if I sell the car and what will I buy. I'd love an hybrid XC90 but it's in the base Tesla.price range...

·
Registered
384 Posts
We have a pretty good system here in Quebec where you can put $2500 per kid per year and the govt puts $750 per kid per year (30% profit). When you withdraw for school only the interest and grants are taxable and it's taxed at the kids rate and not yours.

And no way I'm getting a minivan. I'll buy a suburban before.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Soo, I have 4 car seats so I did a little Lego in order to see if I would be able to fit my family in the car in September.

In September I will have

The short version is: impossible...
It's certainly worth looking at other car seats before taking such extreme measures. Car seats vary quite a lot in depth and even width. See for instance here http://carseatblog.com/compare/, which includes width info. We used this info when buying our first carseat, though in the end the Volt was amply large enough even for the relatively large one we now have.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Cosco scenera is quite narrow. And I can't fit two side by side.

But I will try and keep the Volt only for my work commute for one year, as I will only have two kids to drop off. I'll take the truck every other time (more gas spending). Leaves me one more year to think about.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So I have to sell the Volt or use the truck every single time we carry the family (errands and cottage and visits and ...), only time with the Volt.woild be my commute for the first year when I only have two kids at daycare.

Now the question is how can I not loose too much if I sell the car and what will I buy. I'd love an hybrid XC90 but it's in the base Tesla.price range...

We have Graco seats for our 6-year olds, but I haven't tried putting those seats in the Volt, yet. I need to try that. They're not quite yet to booster seats, so it is still the high-back seat with the 5-point harness removed.

If you buy again, maybe take your car seat with you to the dealer and try the fit BEFORE signing.

·
Registered
322 Posts

In September I will have
FYI, the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests keeping children rear-facing until AT LEAST two years. It can be a pain, but broken legs are much easier to deal with than broken necks.

A 2007 study in the journal Injury Prevention found that children under age two are 75 percent less likely to die or to be severely injured in a crash if they are rear-facing. Another study found riding rear-facing to be five times safer than forward-facing.
http://www.parenting.com/article/car-seats-safety

·
Registered
384 Posts
True, the main issue is that rear facing has the legs crammed in the backrest. I don't know why they don't figure out a way to have the seats attached further forward.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
True, the main issue is that rear facing has the legs crammed in the backrest. I don't know why they don't figure out a way to have the seats attached further forward.

Or figure out that since there's whole seats involved in child safety seats that they could put the mount points in the cargo area. ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts