GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you contacted Ground Control? Their coilover kits are designed to work with anyone's strut.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/category.php/CA=2

You could cut off the spring perch of the Bilsteins and add the GC springs... just a thought.
My build is already complete but I'm not sure a lot of people are willing to modify the OE strut. I myself saved all the OE suspension bits so I have the option of returning the car to stock!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting the info on your suspension setup. Would you happen to have the free length measurements of the oem, pi, cx racing, and 4kg cobalt springs? If I understand correctly you're using the cobalt spring since it's has less coils and a lower spring rate to achieve more drop? If that's the case, the free length measurements, number of coils, and spring rate should help us choose a rear spring that's compatible with the height adjuster.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for posting the info on your suspension setup. Would you happen to have the free length measurements of the oem, pi, cx racing, and 4kg cobalt springs? If I understand correctly you're using the cobalt spring since it's has less coils and a lower spring rate to achieve more drop? If that's the case, the free length measurements, number of coils, and spring rate should help us choose a rear spring that's compatible with the height adjuster.
The Cobalt spring has more coils than the CXRacing spring but achieves the SAME drop with a lower spring rate.

OE spring rate unknown + 12.5" free length + 8" compressed
PI Spring rate unknown + 11.5" free length + 7" compressed
CXRacing 5.5KG spring + 8" free length + 6" compressed
Cobalt 1.9" 4KG spring + 9.5" free length + 6" compressed

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Final recommendations?

Hi guys, thanks for all the recent information added to this thread.....but I'm not sure what's the best bottom line recommendation is. Just to refresh a few memories, I've lowered my car with PI springs and installed 20's but that combination allows the suspension to bottom on harsh bumps. I would like to correct this problem so I don't have to worry when traveling on unfamiliar roads.

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Now that yatckosket has shown that cruze suspension can fisically fit,

you could ask Bilstein or koni if you could get a set of shocks revalved to the axle load of the volt. But I think it would not be necessary because those shocks are already made to work with higher spring rates than what comes stock with the volt. I don't think it would be a problem.

Another option would be to talk to ground control. I'm sure they could help you setup with a nice suspension.

Another good option would be to go with bilstein B14 coilovers or ST coilovers. I'm sure they would work very well with the Volt. Another plus is that you can swap the springs for higher or lower rates and the shocks can be revalved for both no problem. Also ST suspension is the same thing as KW coilover. The only difference is that KW is inox and St is zinc plated.

http://store.badnewsracing.net/2011-Chevrolet-Cruze-Bilstein-B14-Suspension-Kit_p_176.html

http://store.badnewsracing.net/2011-Chevrolet-Cruze-KW-Speedtech-Coilover-Kit_p_157.html

I think coilovers is nice as you can set your height exactly the way you like and not be stuck with a fixed height of springs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the recent information added to this thread.....but I'm not sure what's the best bottom line recommendation is. Just to refresh a few memories, I've lowered my car with PI springs and installed 20's but that combination allows the suspension to bottom on harsh bumps. I would like to correct this problem so I don't have to worry when traveling on unfamiliar roads.

Thanks so much!!
Could always spend the $75 and buy the 1.9" Cobalt lowering springs; only use the rear springs in conjunction with the front PI springs. Remember I replaced the rear coils first before pulling my PI springs out of the front. The lower rear shifted some of the weight off the front and made the ride more acceptable. I know what you mean about the PI springs feeling like they bottom out when you fit bumps; especially the front. Give it a try. They are available in black or red and easy enough to swap out without hiring a garage to do it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Suspension install is finished and for a special treat we have an alternative rear coil spring for those of you who have already lowered the Volt 1" but wanted 1" of additional drop in the rear for a more level stance. I purchased some 4KG Chevrolet Cobalt 1.9" lowering springs ($75 average price) and slapped them in the rear resulting in the same rear drop as I had achieved with my CXRacing rear springs but with a better ride; I assume from the OE style beehive spring design. Don't have 1" lowering springs already installed? Can't help you but based on measurements noted earlier in this thread a POSSIBLE cheap alternative for the front would be OE Cruze front springs (similar measurements to PI front springs) installed in the Volt front strut and then the 1.9" Cobalt lowering springs for the rear!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcobalt+1.9"+lowering.TRS0&_nkw=cobalt+1.9"+lowering&_sacat=0

Cobalt 1.9" drop rear spring installed

Rear fender measurement

Final stance (5MM rear wheel spacers removed)

So, yatckosket, now that you've had a few months on this spring set up, how does the car do over harsh bumps, does it bottom the suspension out? I'm still looking to change my set up because of this problem. Thanks!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Feeling stupid about now. I guess the springs needed some road time to break-in; without the rear shocks attached there is NOW movement up and down. I originally had the shocks set 6 clicks from full firm and the ride was way too stiff. Wheels and shocks on and off a few times, few trips around the development and I ended up at full soft on the rear shocks. Now I can move onto the front struts.
So does this mean the rear springs from the kit will work with the perch? They just needed to settle? OR with the perch it still wasn't low enough?

Since the rear coils are so easy to swap out I'm going to try some 4KG springs I got my hands on. If they work to achieve drop this might open up a cheap alternative to coilovers for those people wanting a more level stance. While I still had the PI springs in the front, just dropping the rear 1" more changed the ride significantly for the better. I guess the shift in weight helped.
So using the Cobalt spring, that is softer at 4kg verses 5.5kg, you liked that better? Vehicle height difference is the same as the CX springs?

So, yatckosket, now that you've had a few months on this spring set up, how does the car do over harsh bumps, does it bottom the suspension out? I'm still looking to change my set up because of this problem. Thanks!!
So what is your final configuration? CX Coilovers but with rear Cobalt lowering springs? Any issues or notes to mention?

THANKS!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been searching on the cruzetalk.com forum about the bilstein B8 shocks and found some info that was interesting.

Bilstein B8 are one inch shorter than the stock cruze shocks. Also starting from mid-2012 model year cruze, the spring perch on the front stock struts were lowered compared to older model year. All the people with B8 run them with eibach springs and say they are awesome. Nice control, but still comfortable over rough pavement.
Wisconisn13volt do you know what year was the used cruze strut that you got to compare with the Volt?

Those eibach springs are much stiffer than the stock Volt springs. In the application list, Bilstein says they are also compatible with the cruze diesel which is much heavier than the gasoline models. The volt is only 274lb more than the diesel and Bilsteins rate their shocks to widstand much higher load so I'm positive it is no problem to run them on the Volt. The Bilstein B14's for the cruze are listed as having 1220kg(2689 lbs) front axle max weight and 1020kg(2248 lbs) rear axle weight. I'm sure the B8 are similar if not the same max axle weight limits.

Here is a thread of a member that got his coilovers corner balanced on his diesel cruze and can see exactly the weights.
Total weight of the cruze diesel is 3476lbs. 2201lbs front axle and 1275lbs rear.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-gen1-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/135489-cruze-diesel-suspension-corner-balance.html

Here is the thread which a member confirms that the B8 are shorter than stock.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-gen1-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/132642-bilstein-b8-sweet-spot-2.html

I also found out the stock front spring rate for the volt, but unfortunately the GM document didn't state the rear stiffness. I'm asking around to see if I can get an answer. Front rate is 32N/mm or 186 lb/in.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjUg5yywvfPAhVLGD4KHSjICFIQFggpMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.gm.ca%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2FMedia%2Fdocuments%2FUS%2FWord%2F101010_volt_launch%2F10_Chevrolet_Volt_Driving_Dynamics.doc&usg=AFQjCNFNcXa7pFYMU8BPafmQHseYSh6ksw

I also sent several emails to B&G (Pi springs same thing) about their lowering springs stiffness and they only replied 25% stiffer than stock. I asked about specific front and rear rates and never got a reply. Obviously you can't calculate spring rate of a progressive springs like a stock linear spring. In many progressive springs, it starts out softer than stock and quickly increase the stiffness as the spring compresses. If we have to put a number on it, the front spring rate of the B&G spring should be around 232lb/in, but its not accurate.

Next spring I will order some Bilstein B8 and try it out. I'm gonna keep the front stock springs, adjust the camber to around -1deg.
I'm thinking of getting the Cobalt 1.9" 4KG rear springs and use them with some coilovers rear adjusters to bring the height just slightly lower. 4kg/mm= 223lb/in spring stiffness so it should balance out nicely the suspension. No need to put rear swaybar. Never been a fan of changing swaybars. Then swap the tires to some continental DWS06 and lighter weight 17 inch wheels. It should improve a lot the handling and feel of the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you use the super low Cruze rear springs, you can insert the Coilrite Poly Air bags for raising the vehicle up a little, also if you add people/weight, one can just jack the back up to re-level the car.

Cheapest option super low setup (50mm/2" drop)

Cruze Low Front Springs = Volt Super Low = $90 each AU
Cruze Super Low Rear Springs = Volt Super Low = $90 each AU

Additional

Cruze Rear Poly Air Inserts = $250 pair AU

Or more expensive low setup (25mm/1" drop)

Cruze Front after market gas shocks with super low springs = Volt Low = $400 pair AU
Cruze Rear after market gas shocks with low springs = Volt Low = $400 pair AU

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those of you that are in the AU, there is lowered spring sets on Fleebay going for less than $90 for all 4, a little better than $360 for King/Pedder/Lovel. I just purchased a set, will fit them up and post the results once they arrive, apparently they are from the Walkenshaw kit, and they are German made.

They are 30mm lowered and stiffer rate, so that should drop the front around 55mm and deliver similar stiffness to what we have, but I may need to shave 10mm of the top and bottom of the rear spring to level it up, I have done this to this style spring in the past, they can't be cut, but you can slice 50% of the coil that sales onto the swing arm perch.

Im tempted to purchase a set of Cruze struts and fit them up with the 30mm dropped spring to see were the car sits, as there is plenty of after market gas struts available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you go with 30mm springs I suggests you get the cruze Bilsteins B8 strut and shocks. Good control with no harshness. Bilstein used to valve the B8 very hard, but now they understood that for street setup people also want comfort. Those who want super hard setup go with coilovers so they can set them they way they want.

Here are the part numbers.
B8(Sport)
Front Left: 35-171690
Front Right: 35-171706
Rear: 24-171717

That's what I'm planning to get this spring/summer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed the springs I purchased of fleabay over the weekend, they fit perfect and the back is perfect, so no need to mess with anything, I would say, these would be odd in the Cruze if it was to sit 20 to 25mm higher in the front, the rear springs actually came with a 10mm rubber packer but I left that out, I have about 25mm clearance from tyre height to guard, this will diminish as the springs bed in over time.

Ride is awesome, the progressive rate on springs are a tad softer on cruising but when you take hard corners or hit bumps/dips, the springs feel much stiffer, far less body roll.

My model has gas shocks fitted, not sure if this is common on all the American trim levels, but we only had one level, so I'm guessing all Aussie models will be the same, if any of the shocks end up warn, I will most likely go with Cruze after market cheap gas shocks as well.

I will take some pics later and put them up, I also noticed that I have around 2k more range now as well, but I will know more after a week of driving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would not put any cheap cruze shocks on this car. The only shocks able to take the weight and spring rates of aftermarket springs is the bilstein B8 shocks. The spring cup is also 1 inch lower. I think it is the best option for the volt. Don't waste your money and time with cheap shocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the springs I purchased of fleabay over the weekend, they fit perfect and the back is perfect, so no need to mess with anything, I would say, these would be odd in the Cruze if it was to sit 20 to 25mm higher in the front, the rear springs actually came with a 10mm rubber packer but I left that out, I have about 25mm clearance from tyre height to guard, this will diminish as the springs bed in over time.

Ride is awesome, the progressive rate on springs are a tad softer on cruising but when you take hard corners or hit bumps/dips, the springs feel much stiffer, far less body roll.

My model has gas shocks fitted, not sure if this is common on all the American trim levels, but we only had one level, so I'm guessing all Aussie models will be the same, if any of the shocks end up warn, I will most likely go with Cruze after market cheap gas shocks as well.

I will take some pics later and put them up, I also noticed that I have around 2k more range now as well, but I will know more after a week of driving.
Not sure if you still have your vehicle these days. I just purchased a Volt and would like to drop it all round.
I had these springs in a 2013 diesel Cruze and it was a good fit and ride.
How is your Volt holding up with these if you still have your vehicle? They can be bought quite cheap and im willing to give them a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed my springs today. Little bit lower all round. I used Cruze Diesel springs 30mm drop according to the manufacturer.

Below is what i used but managed to score a set for $40.00 Aus lol.. It drives ok from what i can tell bit less body roll too.
Had this setup with Bilsteins in the past in a Cruze diesel and it was a nice drive.
If i find some struts and shocks to suit i will fit them up as well.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-JH-Cruze-DIESEL-ONLY-Lowering-Springs-Set-30mm-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-Irmscher/282609398005?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190212102350%26meid%3D14acdade2d9e4edfb844f7a509a7eaf3%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D274145384487%26itm%3D282609398005%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

·
Registered
88 Posts

Hi guys,
I want to do a strut replacement myself. The shop wants to charge me $1,200 for replacing the two front struts. I figured I should just do it myself.
Question:
i. The Spanner to loosen the strut is supposed to be a 24mm double hex wrench with T50 in the middle to hold it, is it true? The service manual asks for CH 35669, which sells for $50 on ebay. That is just ridiculous.
ii. The service manual said:
1. Using the proper size allen key, hold the stabiliser shaft link ball stud while removing the stabiliser shaft nut.
2. Remove and discard the nut. DO NOT re-use the nut, replace with NEW only.
What size is the nut, did you guys all discard the nuts or did you reuse them?
iii. I watched this video:
It seems I also need 18mm double hex wrench, T35 Torx, 18mm socket wrench, rust penetrate. Is there anything else I should prepare?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got the used Cruze strut and did the comparison to the Volt strut. So close yet so far. The Cruze strut would bolt right into the Volt, the overall length is the same, the strut mounting brackets, sway bar linkage bracket, brake line bracket and even the spring perch itself are all identical from the Volt to the Cruze. Only one difference but it's an important one. The Cruze strut spring perch location is 1" higher up the strut than it is on the Volt. That rules out using the Cruze Bilstein performance struts on the Volt - unless you want to raise the front up end an inch. I don't think anyone can consider cutting relocating and welding the spring perch back on a strut that is charged, probably quite dangerous.

I remember someone commenting that maybe one could use Cruze springs for lowering the Volt? Anyway, here are the spring dimensions along with the PI springs too. I'll let you be the judge on what to do with this info.

Volt EOM front spring:
steel wire is .625 (5/8") diameter
total length 13 3/4"
total coils 4 3/4

PI Volt front lowering spring:
steel wire is .562 (9/16) diameter
total length 12"
total coils 5 3/4

Cruze OEM Front spring:
steel wire is .562 (9/16) diameter
total length 13"
total coils 4 3/4

So there you have it....the same....only different!! ARG
Hi Guys, I just found on the cruze forum that the spring length change happened 12/11(I don't know if this is november of 12 or Dec of 11).
See here: KYB struts/shocks
Did you have the TSB performed on your car for the front shocks at any point? If not, you'll need new springs as well if getting Bilsteins, as GM redesigned this after the 12/11 production month, which resulted in a lower spring perch and longer spring. You'll want to pick up front springs for a later VIN 2012+ or a 2013+ Eco as your front springs are too short. If you did have them replaced due to clunking noise early on, you'll have the new design.
So I'm guessing this post is not accurate if you buy anything later. No wonder on all the major sites the struts listed for cruze and volt are the same.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts