GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm eyeing the CXRacing coilovers. Height and dampening adjustment as well as threaded strut tubes to allow for adjusting the dampener height to provide maximum dampening availability at a lowered height. Some kits have the camber adjustment plates as well. Plus they're only around $650. Probably will be waiting until the new year before if I do it.

I may just modify the stock setup to get the control arms parallel with the ground instead and not drop it much (1/2" or so by what I've found during tinkering) while retaining the stock ride qualities. That combined with a set of 18" RPF1s and PureContacts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We will soon see if coilovers will work on the Volt. I took the plunge and dropped $600 on the CXRacing coilovers. I couldn't bring myself to drop more $$$ for a better brand. I'm getting the "Mono-Tube, Top Mount, 32 Step Damper & Ride Height Adjustable with Street comfort/sport springs: Front 10KG/ Rear 5.5KG." I also ordered new upper strut mount bearings (same part # volt or cruze) so I wouldn't have to break down my struts to reuse on the coilovers. I definitely needed a better ride than my lowering springs are providing but I am also looking to achieve a better stance for my new wheels. VMR V803 19X8.5-ET35/9.5-ET57 running 255/35 and 285/30 DWS Continentals. The VMR V803 set was ordered directly from VMR with the Volt bolt pattern and hub bore. I am adding 3mm spacers on the wheels just because the lugs bottom out on the Volt's long lug studs and I don't want to shorten them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We will soon see if coilovers will work on the Volt. I took the plunge and dropped $600 on the CXRacing coilovers. I couldn't bring myself to drop more $$$ for a better brand. I'm getting the "Mono-Tube, Top Mount, 32 Step Damper & Ride Height Adjustable with Street comfort/sport springs: Front 10KG/ Rear 5.5KG." I also ordered new upper strut mount bearings (same part # volt or cruze) so I wouldn't have to break down my struts to reuse on the coilovers. I definitely needed a better ride than my lowering springs are providing but I am also looking to achieve a better stance for my new wheels. VMR V803 19X8.5-ET35/9.5-ET57 running 255/35 and 285/30 DWS Continentals. The VMR V803 set was ordered directly from VMR with the Volt bolt pattern and hub bore. I am adding 3mm spacers on the wheels just because the lugs bottom out on the Volt's long lug studs and I don't want to shorten them.

Awesome, very glad to hear that someone is trying this out! (GREAT LOOKING CAR TOO!!!) I just got through a bad Wisconsin winter, the roads got really rough with heaving bumps. I took the 20's off and ran the stock wheels and tires for the winter but even with the increased sidewall flex of the 17" tires I still was struggling with the limited suspension travel of the lowered car. It really needs increased dampening, worse in the front than in the rear. I've been hopeful that someone would find the right solution as this is a great looking car that screams out to be lowered, so PLEASE PLEASE keep us posted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Parts have arrived.

Remove the bump stops to seat the strut mounts in upper perch.

Bump stops removed with care to avoid damage.

Strut mounts installed on top of struts.

More updates to follow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Measurements of importance!

Max Extended length: Upper strut mounting bolt to top of strut mount

Max Extended length: Lower mounting bolt to top mounting nut

Max Extended Height including Adj. Perch

For reference: Compressed height of my PI lowering springs

Length of Non-Adj. Link Bolt-to-Bolt!

·
Registered
75 Posts
So far in my testing to see what will work I have come to the conclusion that the 5.5KG rear springs are either too tall or too stiff and without the rear shocks mounted, the coil springs with the full weight of the vehicle on them fully compress from 8.5 down to 6". Nor could I use the adjustable spring perch and achieve the level, lowered stance I wanted. Unfortunately at max compression the coil springs are at the height I wanted to achieve leaving no room for suspension travel. I am currently sourcing an alternative pair of rear coil springs that will not be fully compressed at the desired ride height and will allow some up/down suspension travel. Possibly some 4KG springs.

I'm not concerned about the front coilovers as the coil spring is mounted over the shock and allows adjustment unlike the rear which separates the shock and spring.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Be interested to see what you find. I also found Koni makes Koni sports for the Cruze in Europe, but doesn't sell them here.
I have a friend in Norway who might help you out.

·
Registered
827 Posts
So far in my testing to see what will work I have come to the conclusion that the 5.5KG rear springs are either too tall or too stiff and without the rear shocks mounted, the coil springs with the full weight of the vehicle on them fully compress from 8.5 down to 6". Nor could I use the adjustable spring perch and achieve the level, lowered stance I wanted. Unfortunately at max compression the coil springs are at the height I wanted to achieve leaving no room for suspension travel. I am currently sourcing an alternative pair of rear coil springs that will not be fully compressed at the desired ride height and will allow some up/down suspension travel. Possibly some 4KG springs.

I'm not concerned about the front coilovers as the coil spring is mounted over the shock and allows adjustment unlike the rear which separates the shock and spring.
If you can have it replaced with longer springs, that will solve your dilemma. The spring rate, although could help you from bottoming out, won't be as effective as getting longer springs to begin with.

I'm glad you already got the set, but i was going to suggest going with BC Racing. I've gone back/forth with them numerous times, including figuring out the height and rates. They may be able to help you out.

Also, try contacting Swift Springs if they have something to offer you for your current set-up. Swift's are one of the best in the industry and actually has lesser coils compared to competitors -- might help with your suspension travel dilemma. They are typically offered as upgrades by other suspension companies like KW.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Feeling stupid about now. I guess the springs needed some road time to break-in; without the rear shocks attached there is NOW movement up and down. I originally had the shocks set 6 clicks from full firm and the ride was way too stiff. Wheels and shocks on and off a few times, few trips around the development and I ended up at full soft on the rear shocks. Now I can move onto the front struts.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You quoted the springs at 10.5Kg/5.5Kg.....I've been doing suspensions for a lot of years and all the spring rates I've ever dealt with were lb or Kg per inch of compression...on early Mustangs 620 lb. per inch on the front was a really good rate....10.5Kg is only about 23 lbs so I'm wondering how they are rating the spring......per mm of compression? That would put you about 500 lb. per inch doing the calculations in my head.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You quoted the springs at 10.5Kg/5.5Kg.....I've been doing suspensions for a lot of years and all the spring rates I've ever dealt with were lb or Kg per inch of compression...on early Mustangs 620 lb. per inch on the front was a really good rate....10.5Kg is only about 23 lbs so I'm wondering how they are rating the spring......per mm of compression? That would put you about 500 lb. per inch doing the calculations in my head.
According to the CXRacing website.
10KG = 558 lb/in
5.5KG = 307 lb/in

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
1 kg = 2.204622622 lbs

1 in = 25.4 mm

1 kg/mm = 2.204622622*25.4 = 55.99741459 lb/in

10.5 kg/mm = 10.5*55.99741459 = 587.9728532 lb/in.

5.5 kg/mm = 5.5*55.99741459 = 307.9857803 lb/in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Front struts are in. No problems with install. Still adjusting the rebound rates, 6 clicks from full soft for now. Access holes do have to be made in the plastic cowl for adjustments and because the height mandates it. Did go a 1/4" lower up front and the rear is still the same. If anyone wants to go the same route and use coilovers there is room for the front to go either 2" up or down from where I am now but as stated in previous postings the rear cannot go lower but with use of the adjustable spring perch it can go 2" up.

I do have a little rub up front (bumps) but I'm still working on the rebound rates and I'm also a bit greedy with my available drop right now. I don't really think anyone is going to run tires as wide as mine either but it does look sick!

Based on these findings any of the Cruze coilovers or air struts should work. I would choose spring rates carefully though. The 10Kg/5.5Kg worked for me but stiffer spring rates could mean less drop and adversely softer spring rates could mean more drop which might actually be a positive and would open up the use of the rear spring perch; which I can't use considering the drop I wanted to achieve.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since the rear coils are so easy to swap out I'm going to try some 4KG springs I got my hands on. If they work to achieve drop this might open up a cheap alternative to coilovers for those people wanting a more level stance. While I still had the PI springs in the front, just dropping the rear 1" more changed the ride significantly for the better. I guess the shift in weight helped.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since the rear coils are so easy to swap out I'm going to try some 4KG springs I got my hands on. If they work to achieve drop this might open up a cheap alternative to coilovers for those people wanting a more level stance. While I still had the PI springs in the front, just dropping the rear 1" more changed the ride significantly for the better. I guess the shift in weight helped.
Gimme until Sunday to have some free time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a fantastic thread, it's cool that the Cruise kit can be made to work.

Before my Volt I had an Impreza and an M3. The Volt's handling isn't anything to brag about, but also isn't bad for a car of this weight and weight distribution. However I have always felt that it was slightly under dampened, so a coilover kit with dampening adjustment seems like a good choice.

I see that you're playing with the new spring rates. Do you know what the stock spring rates are on the Volt for comparison? The 10.5 and 5.5 seem a little stiff for the street.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is a fantastic thread, it's cool that the Cruise kit can be made to work.

Before my Volt I had an Impreza and an M3. The Volt's handling isn't anything to brag about, but also isn't bad for a car of this weight and weight distribution. However I have always felt that it was slightly under dampened, so a coilover kit with dampening adjustment seems like a good choice.

I see that you're playing with the new spring rates. Do you know what the stock spring rates are on the Volt for comparison? The 10.5 and 5.5 seem a little stiff for the street.
No idea what the OE spring rates are, sorry!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Suspension install is finished and for a special treat we have an alternative rear coil spring for those of you who have already lowered the Volt 1" but wanted 1" of additional drop in the rear for a more level stance. I purchased some 4KG Chevrolet Cobalt 1.9" lowering springs ($75 average price) and slapped them in the rear resulting in the same rear drop as I had achieved with my CXRacing rear springs but with a better ride; I assume from the OE style beehive spring design. Don't have 1" lowering springs already installed? Can't help you but based on measurements noted earlier in this thread a POSSIBLE cheap alternative for the front would be OE Cruze front springs (similar measurements to PI front springs) installed in the Volt front strut and then the 1.9" Cobalt lowering springs for the rear!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcobalt+1.9"+lowering.TRS0&_nkw=cobalt+1.9"+lowering&_sacat=0

Cobalt 1.9" drop rear spring installed

Rear fender measurement

Final stance (5MM rear wheel spacers removed)

21 - 40 of 64 Posts