GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much back and forth, I'm actually now leaning towards buying a new Volt instead of the Honda Clarity. I like the looks of the Chevy better and the driving experience being a smaller more compact car.

Obviously the big benefit to the Clarity is the backseat. My question is if it possible to fit two car seats in the back of the Volt with the driver and passenger sitting comfortably in the front? Does anyone have any photos of this set up? I would use the Odyssey for long trips most of the time. It would be nice to toss the kids in the back for a trip around town or the park or something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
The answer will depend largely on the type and specific model of carseats used, and the height of your front seat passengers. Take them to the dealer and try them. Bring towels so you don't scratch up the seating surface.

As a general matter, I'd say Rear-Facing child seats tend to significantly limit front seat travel and seatback position. They'd be very difficult to put behind all but the shortest drivers. They would be okay behind the passenger seat, but would make it a bit more cramped.

Front facing seats for more of a toddler type are probably easier.

To give you an idea, here is a video from Alex on Autos on this very topic. But you really need to test this out in person with your expected front seat passenger with you to see what he/she thinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zALaHg9B5g

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
in my Gen I, I wouldn't do it, which is why I'm on the hunt for a replacement. We currently only have 1 car seat, but a second on the way. With the rear facing seat behind me, there is no way I would have a comfortable driving position. I don't even like to be in the passenger seat too long with it behind that seat.
I think the Gen II might be like an inch longer, but that wouldn't come close to solving my problem. I really wish they would put the Voltec system into something larger.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, honestly in your position I'd look very closely at a Clarity. A Niro plug in could be a nice choice too, albeit not "as electric" as the other two. Which is hard for me to say because I love my Volt. Not sure how long you tend to keep cars, but it's a bit of a catch 22. If you're carting 3-4 year olds, they'll be fine in a front-facing carseat for a few years, but will soon find the back cramped as they grow up and hit 9, 10 years old. If you're carting 1-2 year olds, you probably want rear-facing seats and that will make you cramped up front.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you test this in the car, be sure to also consider where the child's legs will go. It may be possible to fit the empty car seat itself, but leave inadequate room for the occupant of that seat.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Do a YouTube search. Some guy (I think he was from Vancouver) doing an extended review of the Volt had three car seats in the back (they were forward facing) as he had three small kids. Kids grow up fast so it's fine if you keep your car for a short period of time but if you keep your car for longer periods there may come a time …. As for room for kids legs, some drivers are taller and some like their seats forward, some back. Then there's the whole kids going to their various interests which may mean carting their sports junk etc. around in which case a van or SUV becomes more convenient unless you become a two car family.

·
Registered
585 Posts
After much back and forth, I'm actually now leaning towards buying a new Volt instead of the Honda Clarity. I like the looks of the Chevy better and the driving experience being a smaller more compact car.

Obviously the big benefit to the Clarity is the backseat. My question is if it possible to fit two car seats in the back of the Volt with the driver and passenger sitting comfortably in the front? Does anyone have any photos of this set up? I would use the Odyssey for long trips most of the time. It would be nice to toss the kids in the back for a trip around town or the park or something.

Thanks!
I would say two rear facing seats plus strollers would be possible, but not leave any room for other stuff. But definitely possible. I have a rear facing seat and am 6'2. I can barely squeeze that behind me and though the seat isn't in my optimal place, it's easier to fit than a taller passenger back there :)

Forward facing seats is very possible since you presumably don't have strollers, and the tough thing about the rear seats is getting them in and out. Forward seats stay in place, so just have to get the kid in and out..

I'm actually considering something a little larger back there for this reason. It's definitely do able, and if you have an Odyssey as your second car for longer trips I say go for it. In my growing family we need both cars to be useful for longish trips, and since my wife has a bolt her car is good. But for visiting cottage country we take the Volt since it has the gas backup, and that's where I'm considering swapping the Volt....if you are in southern Ontario maybe you'll buy mine ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.