GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using Android Auto with the Volt. I just started and it is extremely frustrating. When it works, it works perfectly--much better than the phone app. But I cannot get it to work reliably. For example, the other night it was working fine, and then I stopped at the store, turned the car off, and when I came back and turned the car back on, now it wasn't working. The Android Auto icon did not appear on the touchscreen, so I couldn't start it.

I have had several variations of this. I can never tell when it is going to function and when it isn't. Has anyone had a similar experience and know how to fix it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
USB issue. Try unplugging the USB cable and then plugging it back in. This should wake up your phone to initiate the Android Auto application on the Volt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that. Also tried connecting to a different port. No luck. Then tonight it suddenly started working again. I cannot determine the variable that determines whether it works or doesn't.

Should you remove the phone before turning off the car or turn off the car and then remove the phone? Does it matter?

·
Registered
634 Posts
It doesn't matter. The issue is with the phone. When you turn on the car, it needs to "see" the phone as a computing device. (Aside from something that is just sitting there pulling electricity off the two charging wires on the USB port.)

There are times that the car doesn't recognize the phone or the apps on the phone and unplugging the phone and then plugging it back in helps start that recognision cycle.

I recall there are also settings in Android Auto that need to be set for things to be happy. I've had your issue regularly after updates to the software. It gets hung up in "accept" screens to provide permission to the car to interface with the phone and app. I had an issue once where I had to go into the phone app and reset some of those settings so I would get the prompts over again from the start so I could clear them all out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the weird part, I always get a recognition message on the touchscreen when I turn the phone on (even if it is NOT connected via USB). I think this is a Bluetooth message. And I get a message on the phone asking if I want to grant permission for the car to access my phone's data. Still sometimes after both of these, the Android Auto icon does not appear on the touchscreen. That is, until it does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you could recall what setting in Android Auto needs to be fiddled with it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is anyone using Android Auto with the Volt. I just started and it is extremely frustrating. When it works, it works perfectly--much better than the phone app. But I cannot get it to work reliably. For example, the other night it was working fine, and then I stopped at the store, turned the car off, and when I came back and turned the car back on, now it wasn't working. The Android Auto icon did not appear on the touchscreen, so I couldn't start it.

I have had several variations of this. I can never tell when it is going to function and when it isn't. Has anyone had a similar experience and know how to fix it?
It could be your cable. My Pixel 5 only works with the original cable.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I always get a recognition message on the touchscreen when I turn the phone on (even if it is NOT connected via USB).
This is your problem and why Android is locked out of the car's infotainment system seeing it.

I think I googled the recognigition message and found some articles on how to clear it up and reset things.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier
2 Posts
My two cents: this topic is pretty widely discussed in Volt forums, both here & in various Facebook groups.
The Volt is the source of the issue & it applies to both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - as far as I've seen, no workaround or fixes work 100% of the time. Others have reported that the Volt will sometimes detect the device, boot up AA/ACP, display on the infotainment screen momentarily and then either just freeze, or crash/reboot indefinitely. Otherwise, it just doesn't connect at all.

Experience has found that unplugging the phone, powering off the car, opening the driver door to remove power from the infotainment & starting over (power on car, plug in phone, wait for connection) will get AA/ACP to work about 90% of the time. Occasionally it takes multiple attempts for some reason (power not completely removed from infotainment?)

I've had this same issue with both Android & iPhone; no combination of unplugging/plugging back in, swapping USB cables, rebooting phone, fiddling with settings or acknowledging permissions on the phone has made any difference in my case. Your situation very well could be different, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
907 Posts
There are multiple reasons why Android Auto fails. My sense is that the most common is that the cable has to be working perfectly, and the contacts on the phone and cable have to be clean. Older cables gradually stop working reliably and that results in disconnections and ultimately failures to establish the connection at all.

But there are other issues. The permissions one is a big one, but it's relatively easy to solve - open the Android Auto app on the phone while plugged in to the car to see what the messages are. Still, nowadays I often plug in and find that the Android Auto icon appears briefly on the car screen, only to disappear a moment later. It rarely did that 6 months ago, and it continues to do it now despite a new cable. Fortunately, unplugging and replugging the phone pretty much always works to bring the icon back, and then 99 times out of 100 it remains stable for the rest of the trip.

AA is far more stable than it was when I first got the Volt in 2016, but I'm also using a different phone - which is another source of variability. If you have trouble when using your phone but not someone else's phone with the same car and cable, that gives you a clue, although it may not be terribly helpful in actually coming up with a solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my experinece, using 3 different andriod phones since late 2017, I MUST use a good USB cable (check monoprice), The phone has to be unplugged when the car is turned off and wait until I get the connected message onscreen showing that the bluetooth connection is established before plugging the USB cable back in.
Yeah it's a pain compared to my other cars which are wireless AA but it becomes a habit and really isn't so bad.

You may need to remove your bluetooth connection and reestablish it if the above is still not working.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I had the same issues with my old Android. I think my problem was a loose connection on the phone side. Android Auto is very, very dependent on a good connection to the phone. Try a cable that has a tighter fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some good suggestions here. The phone and cable are brand new. I am using the cable that came with the phone. I don't think it is the cable. I am persuaded that it is some weirdness with the Volt infotainment system. I will try some of these suggestions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just read this from a GM site.

"If Android Auto doesn’t automatically launch, on the infotainment screen, tap the PROJECTION or ANDROID AUTO icon. Follow the prompts on the screen and on your phone to start using Android Auto."

I definitely do see the Projection icon so I will try this.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My biggest problem with Android Auto is the USB cable. I sometimes loose the link after hitting a hard bump in the road. Looking forward to moving on to wireless Android Auto someday, but that will never be in the Volt.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree with most posts about the USB cable, I have had problems, but not very often and found the cable to be at fault. I know you say the one you use is the factory one and brand new, still not a bad idea to try a different cord. When it does not connect, with the car on and the phone still connected via USB cable, restart your phone, that has worked 99.9% of the time for me. Obviously this is not an overall solution as waiting for the phone to restart every time you want to use Android Auto would be a pain, but give that a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I was going to check how it works by tapping the Projection icon, but for the last three days Android Auto has worked perfectly. I cannot get it to fail. I have used the stock USB cable and an after market cable. Both work fine. I guess that this will have to remain a mystery.

·
Registered
2018 Premier
117 Posts
I have a 2018 Premier and a Motorola phone running Android 11. I always turn off my phone's Wifi. I always unlock the phone, turn on the phones BT and then plug it in using a 6" USB cord. When doing the above, I have not had any problems using Android Auto.

·
Registered
907 Posts
So, I was going to check how it works by tapping the Projection icon, but for the last three days Android Auto has worked perfectly. I cannot get it to fail. I have used the stock USB cable and an after market cable. Both work fine. I guess that this will have to remain a mystery.
Once in a while, tapping the Projection icon seems to work to cause AA to start. But I'm never quite sure if it was going to start anyway... Usually, if AA doesn't start automatically and I tap Projection, the Volt throws up an error message saying a compatible device is not plugged in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had problems for quite a while, where AA was very intermittent, and it got to the point where it rarely worked. Seemed like a problem with the cable, but I tried various good cables with the same experience.

Eventually I discovered the problem. There was lint in the bottom of my phone's USB-C connector that wasn't allowing the cable to seat firmly in the phone. D'oh! By that time, I had packed the lint so firmly into the phone that it took some work to get it out. I now keep a USB cap on my phone, and haven't had a problem since.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts