GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I have a beautiful Volt 2017. I really like my car... However, for the past two months I have been having some problems. The car won't start (electric mode of course) and then two things happen: the anti-theft and the the check engine lights come on. After a few tries at starting the car, it eventually works and it does start. It has happened to me so many times... Also, one time when I was in reverse the electric mode suddenly shut down. Yesterday was my 5th time at the dealership for these problems and everytime they tell me that they've reset or updated the system of the car. I want to know if I am the only owner on this planet to have these problems.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You seem to be the only one, but that doesn't make it less frustrating. Maybe even more frustrating. More history about when this occurs, say after charging or after sitting, and so forth would be helpful. Also if you're using any third party equipment.

When it happens you can call OnStar and get the codes. The dealer may be clearing the codes, which will eliminate warnings but not prevent anything.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. As Don says next time it happens push the onstar button in your car and have them run a remote diagnostic. If they find codes please write them down and share them. We might be able to help point you in the right direction.

Of note, my 2017 is 6 months old and I have 11,500kms on it with zero issues to date.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You are not alone with problems. I had my (wife's) 2017 Volt for 4 days, the dealer has had it for the last 22. My '13 was and my '15 have been flawless, but I haven't really gotten to know the '17.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Your trouble starting issues sound very much like when the 12v battery on my 2011 started going bad. Sometimes it would take 3-4 times to start with different messages showing on the driver display. Has the dealer checked the 12v battery and checked for any loose connections from the battery to the main computer? Has a Volt technician worked on the car. I would think they should have the tools and procedures to diagnose this problem. From my experience Saturday is not a good day to bring your car in for service issues.
Unfortunately might be time to find a better dealer.
Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi everybody! I have a beautiful Volt 2017. I really like my car... However, for the past two months I have been having some problems. The car won't start (electric mode of course) and then two things happen: the anti-theft and the the check engine lights come on. After a few tries at starting the car, it eventually works and it does start. It has happened to me so many times... Also, one time when I was in reverse the electric mode suddenly shut down. Yesterday was my 5th time at the dealership for these problems and everytime they tell me that they've reset or updated the system of the car. I want to know if I am the only owner on this planet to have these problems.
It really sounds like a 12V battery issue, even though your car is new the 12V battery could have a manufacture defect. The Volt computers are very sensitive to voltage drops, and it causes all sorts of problems. Good luck...Bourgeois Chevrolet in Rawdon could help with your problem, they really know there stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the code b3981 (august 22nd ) they reprogram the Bcm...
Last week same problem.. p1503 they repalced 1 remote.. now my car refused to start .. the same light come on anti theft and the check engine.. now for the 6 times I don't have my car.. still waiting ... I have a courtesy car ( Volt 2017) and guess what !!! I was inseide the car today .. message : no key detected.. this car is really piss me off right now

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here's the code b3981 (august 22nd ) they reprogram the Bcm...
Last week same problem.. p1503 they repalced 1 remote.. now my car refused to start .. the same light come on anti theft and the check engine.. now for the 6 times I don't have my car.. still waiting ... I have a courtesy car ( Volt 2017) and guess what !!! I was inseide the car today .. message : no key detected.. this car is really piss me off right now
Did you have them check the 12V battery as some folks have suggested?

Best,
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts