GM Volt Forum banner

Volt 2015, Check Engine, Engine Not Available Propulsion Reduced

304 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  hellsop
Greetings;

Long time reader first time poster. Well everything has been good in past two years with my used 2015 Volt, up until this weekend. On our way to a wedding anniversary getaway my volt decided it was going to make troubles.

It started on the highway, driving 100km/h on maintain mode. Gas tank was 3/4 full. We where on a very soft incline, we heard the ICE reving up to max RPM twice, the check engine lite up, both Engine Not Available Propulsion Reduced showed up and "low" showed up next to the fuel gage even if it was still showing 3/4 full.

We got out at the next exit, we a gas station and an EV charging station. I filled up the 1/4 that remained. Then turned off the volt and charged it, crossing my fingers this would rester whatever occurred.

No luck, on start we can feel the ice trying to trun on, but it doesn't it just gives "dead rev" feeling in the car without no real click or audible sound. Electric propulsion works fine, so we drove up the car to a Chevy dealer.

Today the called me explaining the issue seems to be relates to the transmission of car, they have called in the Chevrolet tech line to get further support.

Any ideas folks, the guys at the car dealership sound like they have bo clue how to troubleshoot volt issues. But it's like 150km away from home it's not like I can drive it back to my place this easily... What could be wrong here? Anyone ever experienced this ?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator
23,461 Posts
moved to Problems forum....

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,294 Posts
The good news is that your warranty on Voltec equipment should still be in effect on a 2015. 8 years / 100K miles here in USA. Even more in California.
Not necessarily. The Voltec warranty on my 2015 expired on 12/31/22.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update from the dealer, it's a P079C error, Transmission clutch 3 slip detected . Dealer is unable to tell me what his wrong, they told me about 2500$ to dissemble the clutch and check the components to see what is wrong...

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,379 Posts
That rings a bit of a bell, but not a lot of resolution...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts