GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences in the charging cables from a 2011 and 2013 Volt. First time on the road and the charge time seems a lot slower than old cable. I notice there is way to change the rate of charge on the new plug.

Any help here is welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I am using the cable that came with the car. I will check the screen.. It is controlled on the 2011 on the box before... I wish they left it alone.. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That did it Pete thanks.. Do I have to reset every time I charge or does it remember?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
That did it Pete thanks.. Do I have to reset every time I charge or does it remember?
To elaborate on Pete's answer the 2013 Volt defaults back to the 8 amp setting every time the car is shifted out of Park. So if you just turn the car on and off while still in Park the 12 amp setting if selected will remain.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.. But that stinks and that should be an easy software fix. I unplug several times up here and that really is easy to forget.

Obviously they still have issues with these cords. The 2011 had one replaced because first one burt out.

You would think this problem was solved in 2 years.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Thanks.. But that stinks and that should be an easy software fix. I unplug several times up here and that really is easy to forget.

Obviously they still have issues with these cords. The 2011 had one replaced because first one burt out.

You would think this problem was solved in 2 years.
Some of us (probably a minority!) are in the other camp, thinking this was a good idea from a safety and heat stand point, and perhaps even better for "the grid" as well as extending the life of your charge connector (EVSE).

Consider if overnight 8 amp charging can actually fit fine your lifestyle. You might be surprised to find it does. It does for me, and I put a fair number of miles on my Volt (26k EV miles in a year and 3 months)

For example, I have a 2012 and was charging over night at 12 amps for almost a year. FYI, my commute ~35 miles each way, so get home usually ~6:30 pm and plug in with typically ~10-15 miles range remaining. Besides finishing excessively early (often ~1 am) I found that the EVSE and its cable would get quite warm.

Now charging at 8 amps almost every night (unless I get home REALLY late at night) the charging is done still plenty early (~3:30 am) and much less heat is generated (wasted?).

This probably won't help you if you are fully depleting your Volt's battery before returning home every day; but otherwise I would encourage even '11 and '12 owners to make 8 amp charging overnight the rule and 12 amp the exception or for daytime opportunity charges with known good/robust outlets. Making this change might mean very few setting changes needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts