GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - My Chevy Volt 2012 has an issue where bluetooth is not available and onstar is not receiving power either. I had this happen before, and pulling and reseating fuse #F9 on the panel to the left of the steering wheel fixed it. However this time, I checked the fuse is fine and there is ≈15V reaching the fuse yet the downstream functions don't work.

Is it likely that one component failed and brought down bluetooth and onstar simultaneously?

Some forums mention a VICM that may have gone bad, but I cannot find this part described anywhere. Could you please point me in the direction of more information on where to get this part and how to install it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
This one's kind of curious, because unless I misremember, the onstar module is in the overhead, and the bluetooth is mounted to the back of the head unit in the center console, and gets its power from there. If they're both out, it's for separate (or not actually power) reasons.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
if that fuse is out too long will that drain the onstar primary back up battery and cause some of this problem ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did you replace the fuse or just visually inspect it? I've experienced fuses that looked perfect that wouldn't transfer power.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
More than a year ago, the "compass heading" in the driver’s display of my 2012 Volt disappeared. One posting I located in this forum indicated the compass heading may be related to the OnStar circuits and associated fuses.

The manual identifies fuse F9 as "OnStar " in the instrument panel fuse box (a fuse puller is located in the engine compartment fuse block). I pulled this fuse, it appeared to be in working order, and put it back in. The compass display did not immediately return, so I also pulled a second fuse and put it back in... can’t remember which... it might have been fuse F8, right next to F9, because the manual indicates there is no fuse in that location and I did see one there.

It worked... pulling both those fuses and putting them back in must have removed some contact corrosion, and the compass heading in my driver’s display returned...

Perhaps the problem in your 2012 Volt might also be related to age-related corrosion and loss of proper connections in a fuse other than fuse F9 (for example, fuse F2 is identified as "Radio" - might "radio" also include the "bluetooth" circuits?)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you replace the fuse or just visually inspect it? I've experienced fuses that looked perfect that wouldn't transfer power.
Thank you so much for your reply. I swapped the fuse with a new fuse and the issue remained. I also took the fuse that was in F9 and tested it in another position and that circuit also received power just fine. An ohmmeter across the fuse showed continuity. All three suggest it is not the fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More than a year ago, the "compass heading" in the driver’s display of my 2012 Volt disappeared. One posting I located in this forum indicated the compass heading may be related to the OnStar circuits and associated fuses.

The manual identifies fuse F9 as "OnStar " in the instrument panel fuse box (a fuse puller is located in the engine compartment fuse block). I pulled this fuse, it appeared to be in working order, and put it back in. The compass display did not immediately return, so I also pulled a second fuse and put it back in... can’t remember which... it might have been fuse F8, right next to F9, because the manual indicates there is no fuse in that location and I did see one there.

It worked... pulling both those fuses and putting them back in must have removed some contact corrosion, and the compass heading in my driver’s display returned...

Perhaps the problem in your 2012 Volt might also be related to age-related corrosion and loss of proper connections in a fuse other than fuse F9 (for example, fuse F2 is identified as "Radio" - might "radio" also include the "bluetooth" circuits?)...
Interesting, thank you for the idea! I will try reseating all fuses in that block and report back here soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, thank you for the idea! I will try reseating all fuses in that block and report back here soon.

I reset nearly all fuses, unfortunately there was no change. It now appears on closer inspection that the onstar, bluetooth, and GPS all do not have power.

·
Registered
407 Posts
try pulling Fuse 10 and checking it on the passenger side if that appears good I would pull the positive on the 12 volt battery for at least 10 min and do a complete system reboot. DO NOT CLOSE YOUR REAR HACTH or you will not get it open. if that doesn't work you have bad wiring some where possible rat damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
try pulling Fuse 10 and checking it on the passenger side if that appears good I would pull the positive on the 12 volt battery for at least 10 min and do a complete system reboot. DO NOT CLOSE YOUR REAR HACTH or you will not get it open. if that doesn't work you have bad wiring some where possible rat damage.
Thank you Davis. I pulled Fuse 10 on passenger side and it tested as fine. Reseating it does not fix the issue. I then pulled the NEGATIVE on the 12 volt battery for 10 minutes, because the positive is kind of bracketed into place on my 2012 volt, and it also did not solve the issue. I also pulled the fuse for the VCIM in the engine compartment without success. It seems like I'll need to bring it into service, which is unfortunate because it seems like a difficult issue to diagnose that may cost a lot to repair. My local chevy dealership is charging >$200/hr with no guidance on how many hours before they even know what the issue is not counting the repair itself. Oh well. Thank you again!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Do you still have the original 12V battery in the car? If so, it is getting old. That can cause some strange electronic issues in the Volt, including odd behavior in the Nav system. It may be worth changing it, or at least you could try jump starting the Volt to see if that temporarily helps any.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My compass and on-star failed about a year ago in my 2012. Then I noticed that I had a parasitic 12V battery drain that resulted in a dead battery when I returned from a 10 day vacation. I pulled fuses and found that the drain went away when fuse F9 (on-star) was pulled. Since I was not purchasing on-star and I can live without the compass, I did not pursue trying to fix the circuit and simply removed the fuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just bought a new to me 2012 Chevy Volt. I noticed that the compass was not working and I had no bluetooth connection for hands free option. This option was very important for me so I started doing some searching with very vague results. So I just jumped in both feet first to conquer this beast. Used VCIM module installed from a 2012 Buick Regal. Plug and play. No reprogramming, no updating, nothing. Now my compass works and all bluetooth functions working. Loving my Volt. Here is a short video of what I did and the out come.

https://youtu.be/PL4zpq9Ddbs

Hope this might help someone a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts