GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially I was going to post about the fact that my volt (despite no hilly terrain or cold weather here in florida) has significantly reduced charge after only 4 yrs of ownership and about 50000 miles.

I created a video to show this decrease. I charged the battery all night on an L2, I start the car and it starts at 26 miles? I know it was charged cause I turned it off, went to charge again, and it said full charge. I drove it and it only went to 7.6kwh used before dropping to ICE.

Video: https://youtu.be/eejlzQPJzOk

In the way back from work when it went to switch from ev to ICE, it said propulsion has been reduced, and coasted me until I reached 0 miles/hour. I could not accelerate. I turned the car off and on, I've attached another video showing this error now.

Video : https://youtu.be/26Xk6ec58Tw

Any ideas? I Called the EV advisor hotline, and they couldnt find a "propulsion error" in the manual although im sure it exists.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds like it's time to get it to the dealer, the battery and related Voltec electronics that would be resulting in the propulsion errors are still covered under warranty.

·
Administrator
20,186 Posts
See the Similar Threads at bottom of this page.

·
4,866 Posts
Go to a Volt-certified dealer. They can pull the codes for the check engine light you have. It may be a bad battery cell etc. and they can debug it for you.

You can show them the video too. As others note your battery and Voltec drivetrain are still covered by the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sounds like one or more bad battery cells - unusual but it has happened. Go to a certified dealer and they should be able to properly diagnose and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, so I'm not crazy right? My volt is acting strange on its mileage and estimates?

For a bit I'm like, how are people making 40 miles in this thing?! I cant get passed 34 in the city. Then it became 31, then 29, then 26, now its about 24 miles despite the same distance, same road, and same driver. It must be a battery issue, right?

When I need to know I guess is what could cause this, and if it is battery based, so its covered. Dealers around here like to make up any reason i've noted to say it *isnt* battery related to not have it be covered. It's usually a sensor this or a software that, but hardly ever a voltec issue.... and getting them to give me the codes is a crap shoot.

Sounds like one or more bad battery cells - unusual but it has happened. Go to a certified dealer and they should be able to properly diagnose and replace if necessary.
I was thinking the same.... bad battery cell would do this, right? What do they do in a case like this, order a whole new battery drive train or just replace that 1 battery?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do your research right here on this forum and go to your dealer prepared with it. When you arrive with knowledge they will be very cooperative. 8 years / 100K miles warranty should cover everything.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was thinking the same.... bad battery cell would do this, right? What do they do in a case like this, order a whole new battery drive train or just replace that 1 battery?
Depending on what the problem turns out to be, they can replace one or more cells, or replace the entire battery. And it's covered by the 8-year 100,000 mile Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depending on what the problem turns out to be, they can replace one or more cells, or replace the entire battery. And it's covered by the 8-year 100,000 mile Voltec warranty.
Well just got back. apparently they only have 1 volt tech certified and he is only in 2 days a week. I checked another dealer and got the same thing, with different days. I'm wondering if this one guy is the only chevy volt tech in the south miami area and floats around to different dealers.

I also cant be given a loaner car until the service tech can confirm that the error message stating "Battery cannot be charged" is indeed a battery problem (gee, ya think?). I didn't want to start a **** fest and just gave up after a few minutes fighting. And whether the repair is covered is 'upto the techs discretion' according to the guy I spoke with.

We'll see how it goes... but I get a feeling I got a fight infront of me. This is the second time a battery issue came up, last time they replaced the charging receptacle. If this time it's also "battery related" would both incidents count towards lemon laws I wonder as both being a voltec issue?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well just got back. apparently they only have 1 volt tech certified and he is only in 2 days a week.

I also cant be given a loaner car until the service tech can confirm that the error message stating "Battery cannot be charged" is indeed a battery problem (gee, ya think?).

And whether the repair is covered is 'upto the techs discretion' according to the guy I spoke with.
Time to get on the phone to General Motors customer service, IMHO.

I didn't want to start a **** fest and just gave up after a few minutes fighting.
They wouldn't want to deal with me. I am not afraid to get upset when I know I'm being wronged. I don't get unruly or ignorant (you get more flies with honey than vinegar), but I will certainly stand up for myself...and I'm not afraid to throw people under the bus with their higher ups if I know I'm having my chain yanked.

If your car is unfit to drive and they can't actually even do a basic diagnosis for several days due to poor staffing it would be common decency for them to offer you a loaner.

And if it's a Voltec related issue as it almost seems 100% certain it is, then there's zero question that it's covered under the Voltec warranty - the "techs opinion" on the matter is freakin' irrelevant at that point.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Absolutely - the most telling sign is the fact that the car is telling you it's fully charged yet all of the green bars are not lit on the EV range meter. Don't let the dealership push you around. Anything related to charging or battery should be covered under the 8yr warranty.

From what I have read here, they can replace just the failing section of the battery and not the entire pack.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently a section of the battery was out/burned. I do wonder if it is because I charge with an L2 everyday at work to get the miles to make the drive back. They will replace the section, I am hoping that fixes all the other issues I was seeing with low charge when "full" and low miles on battery, and "no propulsion w/e" error.

·
Administrator
20,186 Posts
Apparently a section of the battery was out/burned. I do wonder if it is because I charge with an L2 everyday at work
I and many other Volt owners charge our cars everyday with Level 2 EVSE's. It does not hurt the battery. Sometimes things fail with normal use, like my passenger seat heater. Or, I suppose you could blame it on people sitting in the seat. Butt that's simply normal use, just like 240V charging.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Apparently a section of the battery was out/burned. I do wonder if it is because I charge with an L2 everyday at work to get the miles to make the drive back. They will replace the section, I am hoping that fixes all the other issues I was seeing with low charge when "full" and low miles on battery, and "no propulsion w/e" error.
I agree with Steverino, do not blame L2 charging. This is just a failure like any other. Water pumps go out, AC compressors die. As long as it is being used as designed it is just a failure from normal use.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Although GM claims a "low failure rate" on its battery, truthfully it's not rare (but still uncommon) for a section to go out and to be replaced. It happened to me on my 2013.

Nevertheless, this is not a "plug-and-play" repair and you should feel confident with the dealership. At this point, I would try a different one because this dealership sounds crappy. Even if they don't have a full-time Volt tech, a different dealership might be better to work with. A good dealership will make all the difference with the warranty claims, loaners, etc.

As an example, two dealerships within 10 miles of my house have two very different loaner policies. One will absolutely loan me a car the moment I drop it off. The other will force me to wait for a "diagnosis"--which is just a cop out. Get firm answers on loaner policy before wasting your time.

Also, what is the number you called for the "EV Advisor" hotline? I was told that EV service is gone --getting a good phone number beyond the generic GM customer (dis)service number would make my year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the delay, didnt check back after the car was returned.

It still displays the dashboard incorrectly, but it does drive the expected 34 miles highway I anticipate with high regularity.

The number I called was: (877) 486-5846, Im not sure if its a dedicated line, its what I found in my phone's contacts while stranded on the side of the road.

I will definitely go to a better dealer next time and ask about the loaner policy first. This is great advise!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts