GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had the manuals for a few days now and today had much more time to look at them. They are impressive! Lots of details about the workings and failure modes and repairs of the myriad systems that make this car tick. Just marvelous!
I also had previously bought the SI DVD when it looked like the Maintenance Manual might not be available for an indefinite amount of time. Without the Maintenance Manual I was beginning to believe that the SI DVD was almost useless - actually it really is (almost useless). First, what is the DVD? It is NOT videos. It is primarily a database. It is also a software system - a major one. But it is designed to be used by dealership mechanics, not really your home DIY guy. Turns out that the Maintenance Manual really is included on the DVD, but not in a form that you would easily recognize. The three volumes of the Maintenance Manual are in a form that is easy to flip through, or you can browse the table of contents or you can browse the index. The DVD, not so much. The DVD requires that you access it by "bulletin number" or DTC, but not by casual browsing. But by using a DTC code from the maintenance manual as a search argument to the DVD I was able to see that eventually you got to exactly the same text and drawings that are in the maintenance manual, but at first glance it looks different than what is in the book - same text and drawings, but it flows differently. Also the DVD appears to have maintence info for all cars and cars for about a ten year time range.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got both from Helm, Inc. Web site at www.helminc.com
The Maintenance Manual is $150.00.
The SI DVD is $400.00
Both may have added sales tax and definitely shipping and handling charges.
Unless you really need the computer searchable DVD stick to the hardcopy manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts