GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VOLT 1.0 is awesome! But to be as savvy as possible with my limited funds, I am waiting for VOLT 2.0. And I hope it has the following to make the purchase a no-brainer for millions of others like me:

1) All-Electric range of 50 miles (up from current 35 miles electric range)
I think this is very possible as Lyle has posted many articles of 25-50% improvement in battery cells and better metals used.​
2) 50 MPG on Gas Driving (up from current 37 MPG)
This should be possible with an engine that runs at maximum efficiency and is designed to be used as electricity generator rather then current 1.4L Cruze engine​
3) MSRP $37,495 ($29,995 after tax credit) - VOLT for under $30k - WOW!

4) Little roomier and seating for 5
After test driving the current volt, it can use a few inches extra in all directions​

Please feel free to add your wishes to the list or second mine so GM can deliver (We know they read this forum)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Climate Control System

The Climate Control System should provide instant Heat when requested or at least not run the Fan until it has warmed up the heater core. It should NEVER switch to Fan Only without the operator requesting Fan Only and they should provide a way to Turn OFF A/C, I really don't want the A/C to run when it is 40 degrees in the car.

·
247 Posts
VOLT 1.0 is awesome! But to be as savvy as possible with my limited funds, I am waiting for VOLT 2.0. And I hope it has the following to make the purchase a no-brainer for millions of others like me
All this comes down to cheaper, smaller battery with higher capacity.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Climate Control System should provide instant Heat when requested or at least not run the Fan until it has warmed up the heater core. It should NEVER switch to Fan Only without the operator requesting Fan Only and they should provide a way to Turn OFF A/C, I really don't want the A/C to run when it is 40 degrees in the car.
I agree with not having the fan blow colder air than is already in the cabin. Air conditioner runs in defrost mode to remove humidity. This has been the case with automobile defrosters for quite a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
evetter/Marty: I had no idea about the climate control system nuances that are annoying, glad to hear from current owners. In my current car, you set the temp at a certain point (say 72F) and just forget about it, the heat, AC or fan will come on and off and try to maintain 72F in cabin, will not turn the fan on when too cold out side, the fan will never blast air in the face either. Is this system not available in the current VOLT? or it is, and there are a few bugs still to be worked out?

evnow: Yup, and I get the feeling with all the news coming out, that this wish list isn't that far off. The ultimate dream for us would be 300+ mile range, and recharge in 10 minutes, even if it were $40-50 to do this, like at a charge up station people would do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great Thread!

1. Allow configuration of default driving mode. (i.e. SPORT MODE)
2. Refine wireless key behavior (i.e. I drop my wife off somewhere and she has the key in her purse - no warning!)
3. More rear leg room. (my 10 yr. old daughter complains!)
4. Sun Roof!
5. More Range! (driving electric is AWESOME!)
6. Allow for middle seating in rear. (nothing wrong with "straddling the hump" in a pinch)

This is by far the best car we've ever owned/leased. Keep refining!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Xover style vehicle please! Within 5 years I hope to either get a xover style vehicle from GM as they said they are working on or get a Tesla Model S. The Volt will stay in the family, just go to my mom most likely...though there's only room for 3 of her 4 grandkids.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think most of these suggestions have some merrit, with the exception of the ones calling for it to be a five passenger, this should be left up to other models comming out with the voltec system.

GM be slow to make changes, make sure you get them right. Be aware that every fix may create two or three more problems.

Don't mess this car up like Honda did with the Insight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would like to see radiant heat on the feet. I have always keep the heat on high to warm my feet.

Matt

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Further support here for #1. For me, starting the Volt is a multistep process that includes tapping on the mode twice to get to sport mode. The car is night and day more fun to drive in sport.

Great Thread!

1. Allow configuration of default driving mode. (i.e. SPORT MODE)
2. Refine wireless key behavior (i.e. I drop my wife off somewhere and she has the key in her purse - no warning!)
3. More rear leg room. (my 10 yr. old daughter complains!)
4. Sun Roof!
5. More Range! (driving electric is AWESOME!)
6. Allow for middle seating in rear. (nothing wrong with "straddling the hump" in a pinch)

This is by far the best car we've ever owned/leased. Keep refining!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'll 2nd several of the suggestions above:
- Agree with #5 above - more range ! especially in the cold northeast in the winter
- improved CS mode efficiency (mpg) (though the need for this will be lessened if the range is improved).

Some minor quirks could be fixed - maybe even by SW upgrade on the current model:
- fix the radio! - There is no need for the radio to come on blaring when I touch the climate control or the leaf button. Yes, I realize they are all in the same box but the sound can be muted when the radio state is logically "off".
- Options to display real power flow (as discussed in the other threads).

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd vote for AWD. And more range.

Also, a vote here for making the Volt II smaller, not bigger! Most cars I see out on the roads only have 1 or 2 people in them, so why worry about seating for 5?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ditto

VOLT 1.0 is awesome! But to be as savvy as possible with my limited funds, I am waiting for VOLT 2.0. And I hope it has the following to make the purchase a no-brainer for millions of others like me:

1) All-Electric range of 50 miles (up from current 35 miles electric range)
I think this is very possible as Lyle has posted many articles of 25-50% improvement in battery cells and better metals used.​
2) 50 MPG on Gas Driving (up from current 37 MPG)
This should be possible with an engine that runs at maximum efficiency and is designed to be used as electricity generator rather then current 1.4L Cruze engine​
3) MSRP $37,495 ($29,995 after tax credit) - VOLT for under $30k - WOW!

4) Little roomier and seating for 5
After test driving the current volt, it can use a few inches extra in all directions​

Please feel free to add your wishes to the list or second mine so GM can deliver (We know they read this forum)
I ditto the above with a couple addendums;

PRICE: currently I think people considering this car cannot afford over $20k
Fuel economy; need to beat Prius in every respect including price
And ; get rid of that stupid low hanging front spoiler that will be damaged frequently so us country drivers can straddle dead animals and we're NOT snowplow operators either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree VOLT 1.0 is Awesome. Best car (out of about 15) I've owned.

(VOLT #1768 - been driving it for 2 weeks) - For VOLT 2.0 Chevy needs to include KWH use. Miles per KWH (MPK) is more meaningful to me than MPG because I'm using mostly electric. I charge about 7 KWH each night because I have a short commute to work. I want to see MPK, not MPG. I'm able to see KWH because of the install of TED (TheEnergyDetective) and the use of Google PowerMeter. I pay 14 cents per KWH as long as I charge between midnight and 5am. If VOLT incuded MPK then the true cost of driving would be known. MPG is very misleading when displayed on the VOLT screen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For VOLT 2.0 Chevy needs to include KWH use. Miles per KWH (MPK) is more meaningful to me than MPG because I'm using mostly electric. If VOLT incuded MPK then the true cost of driving would be known. MPG is very misleading when displayed on the VOLT screen.
+1

This car should always be showing MPKWH and MPG side by side, IMO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Diesel range extender and AWD...

Of course at this point I'd seriously consider ANY AWD diesel powered car (prefer a wagon!! replacing a Subaru...)

·
Registered
857 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I'd like to see would be bigger turn signal indications on the screen. The little blinking icons are a little difficult to notice without looking directly at the screen, at least that's the case for these old eyes.

WVhybrid
status = :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Loving the Volt so far! LOVING it! But, for 2.0, please give us LED or at least HID headlights. The car's about efficiency, right? Halogens are far from it.

-MKL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts