GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 1/3 scale model below, despite the camouflage tape, reveals several key changes (improvements, IMO) over the concept Volt....

1) The top rear of the cabin has exterior "fins" added at both sides of the rear window, much like the Tesla & a few other exotic, high-performance cars --could this be for reduced drag? In any case, it's a styling coup d'etat (in my opinion)!!!

2) The top & windows are both slightly taller (for head room & safety reasons, I imagine) and the wheels/tires are slightly smaller (probably for cost & availability reasons)

3) The hood looks somewhat shorter, probably because the much larger windshield is very steeply sloped, which moves its lower cowling further forward, most likely helping to reduce drag

We'll have to wait for styling details, but I'm extremely pleased with what I can infer from this You Tube screen capture.... :) :) :)

================================================================================================
Sorry guys, I spent a lot of time capturing & attempting to upload the photo I'm referring to.... but NO JOY!!! So to see what I wanted to post here, pause the You Tube video at the link below at about 3:23.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8uF8QKfeI

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
All good/practical changes. I am somewhat worried about the wheel/tire package.

This spy shot makes them look much smaller than the prototype. Much more fender showing above the front well. I hope the larger wheels are kept in the final design, or at least be an option. They really helped give the car its distinctive appearance and really separated the look of this car from other contenders.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sorry guys, I spent a lot of time capturing & attempting to upload the photo I'm referring to.... but NO JOY!!! So to see what I wanted to post here, pause the You Tube video at the link below at about 3:23.....
I know how you feel. I've been trying to attach photos in the thread about any interest in pictures with no luck. I think there is something wrong at Lyle's end. Something seems to be preventing attachments.

Anyhow, the profile looks OK, and the back deck looks a little like the concept, but the front, I don't know what to think. Maybe after they take the bandages off it'll look alright, but right now I'm not too thrilled with it. The hood looks like a toilet seat! They said that we'd be able to easily recognize this concept as a Volt and that it would retain the "graphics" of the original concept, but I'm having a hard time visualizing that. I would do a photoshop to get an idea, but if I can't post attachments and share, I'm not going to bother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Volt Design

You can see the camo design at http://gm-volt.com/2008/04/06/production-volt-exterior-design-and-appearance-when-will-we-see-it-all/.

Based on the angle it's difficult to get a good view but I does appear to be more like the Colbalt then the initial prototype that was desplayed. Not a good result as the Colbalt design was not accepted that well. The initial prototype was half the appeal of the car. GM misses the boat once agin on design, but lets hope that hit the target on the mechanical assepts and put the correct batteries in the car. :confused:

Let's hope they do a better job on the interior, as the seats used in the Malibu almost make the car undrivable for longer distances for a taller person back is aligned incorrectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts