GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM rushed work on a new API to get a popular Volt owner site back on road. "The Web services supporting OnStar's applications for the Chevy Volt were hacked by developer Mike Rosack to create Volt Stats, a site for owners to brag about their mileage. Now, OnStar has given him a new, approved API.

You probably don't think of your car as a developer platform, but Mike Rosack did. A few days after buying his Chevy Volt, Rosack started slowly mining his driving data. But he eventually revved up his efforts and created a community platform for drivers to track their own efficiency. Today more than 1,800 Volt owners compare stats with each other, jockeying for position on Rosack's Volt Stats leader board."

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/onstar-gives-volt-owners-what-they-want-their-data-in-the-cloud/

A good article that goes a bit in depth on VoltStas as well as the new OnStar API. Kudos, Mike!

OnStar_API_Cloud.jpg voltstatownermap.jpg

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
CONGRATS Mike! Having your work internationally recognized is high praise indeed.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Slashdot picked it up, too. Nice work Mike, I think the new/open API work might've stagnated even longer if not for your waking them up!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thankyou. This type of owner enthusiasm makes the Volt more than a car...a true techie toy!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Great job Mike. OnStar should hire you.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the article Mike. Voltstats has been a great service and I'm glad GM recognized that. Nice work!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Great job Mike. OnStar should hire you.
If they can afford you!!

The tone of the article reminds me of the UPS commercial where the young guy tells his old guy boss how he accomplished a task only to be told by the old guy - with his hand on the young man's shoulder, "No, we did it!"

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
what's a TLA? (grin) :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-letter_acronym

or

Texas Library Association :-}

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
What separates average from great in business is agility. If any entity isn't agile the are doomed. I didn't think GM could embrace and work with Mike to get VoltStats back on-line. I'm sure there is even more data available to mine.

This is one way to separate GM from its competitors and quiet critics. having real world data collected by thousands of real world owners/operators is invaluable. Think of the free marketing.

Now my short term goal is to get through the mont of November w/o using any fuel making that my 6 straight months of operating my Volt 100% electric and rolling up almost 6000 miles of life in the process.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Oh and One More Thing

There are still a few ignorant individual’s out there spewing BS LIKE?

"A few days after US tax payers bought his Chevy Volt"

He obviously doesn't know not a dime of tax payer money was "given" to any Volt buyer, rather they get to keep more of THEIR OWN money in the first place. I'm sure he gladly takes his "standard deductions" and "mortgage deductions" all the while belittling others for keeping more of their money.

And what's scary is these folks vote and procreate.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I saw "OnStar's Advanced Telematics Operating Management System (ATOMS)" my brain turned it around to ATMOS. Oops. I guess GM folks don't watch Doctor Who; ATMOS is a GPS system that starting tracking people and then taking control of their cars.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Atmospheric_Omission_System
ATMOS devices, able to reduce carbon dioxide emmissions to zero, could be threaded through every make of car, and included a computer system with integrated GPS navigation on the dashboard which could not be disabled. When activated ATMOS was programmed to ignore drivers' orders.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
This was a very informative article! Mike Rosack deserves our thanks for working with GM to keep VoltStats alive. And GM deserves our thanks for allowing it to happen too.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Things like this is why I respect GM. Any other company would have sent a DMCA C&D to shut it down permanently.
I have exactly the other view - a modern company would have worked with Mike to get a reasonable API to him and let him help them define what it needed to do to support him and other app developers better. This is why GM is falling behind - still too much old company left.

As for the new and improved VoltStats - it's really nice. Well done, Mike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts