GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got my 2013 Friday and that day the salesman showed us the voice recognition system without errors.

That evening I tried to use it at least twenty times, each time after I spoke a command (I waited for the beep), it would do nothing for about thirty seconds and then reboot.

I reset to factory settings (which did not unpair my phone or lose my radio presets), and it did no better.

Saturday morning I tried again, and it would not fail for me after ten tries, Wow!

Saturday afternoon and Sunday, it again would not work for me, rebooting after I spoke a command.

I think it needs a software reload, would pulling the fuse do that? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've never experienced this so what exactly happens when it reboots?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 'reboot' the screen goes blank, then a couple hundred black and white horizontal lines, then the normal startup screen. Must wait another thirty seconds to try voice command again else you get a message "Voice command system is still initializing". I tried commands like "Tune XM 69", "Tune FM 98.7", "Main Menu", and "Help".

Now have an appointment to see the service department on Thursday.

If it were my PC it would just get re-imaged. I don't have Navigation option so I don't believe I have a hard drive, so I suspect what is in the EEPROM is corrupt to cause this. Probably a reflash of the EEPROM will fix it. Will find out Thursday how much the dealer really knows about the internals.

Tim.

3,600 Posts
Keep us updated, Tim. Hopefully they'll be able to get this corrected and get the voice commands working properly as soon as possible!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, my car is still at the dealership. Talked to them this morning. They were told by the mothership to reimage my car. Downloaded a new image to a flash drive (they actually tried several), and after all day Friday and some time this morning actually got a new image uploaded. Car worked fine then they said. Turned car off and back on, it is failing again for them. Evidently Volt central has Saturday's off so they will contact them first thing Monday.

I have only had the car five days so far, so I was quite surprised how much I did not like driving the loaners (Traverse and Equinox) they let me have. The Volt is so much smoother and quieter that it amazed my wife and I. I actually returned the loaner today and went back to my old car, at least I'm familiar with its noise and vibrations! :)

Tim.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my 2013 two weeks ago and the center stack rebooted when the salesman was showing me the car. Took me eighty tries to set six radio station favorites, 'buttons' didn't work right. Voice recognition would reboot the system every time I tried to use it. Took it back to the dealer last Thursday, they re-imaged the system, didn't fix it, called GM and GM had them swap parts with another new car to find the problem. Turned out the 'radio module' was bad. Got the car back on Tuesday and it has been faultless now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts