GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All....New to this , but wanted to know if anyone finds the front windshield support on both sides kind of thick and cuts out the view a bit? That's really my only complaint with this wonderful car! I know the support holds a airbag but ..maybe they could make it smaller...?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
welcome to the forum Voltdmour, and contratulations on your new ride. Some posters have found the air bag containing, roll over strengthened, aerodynamically sloped front pillars (A pillars) to be a visual distraction. each of us has to develop a new visual scan, no more so in the volt than in any other car that is significantly different shaped than our last car's. it takes a few weeks to get used to this and make the look motions sub-conscious.

Until then, be conscious of the need to move your head around a bit when turning into or out of roadways. My advice for new Volt owners, including that thought, can be found in this post:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...Crystal-Red-Volt-Owner!&p=1595858#post1595858

Remember as they told us in Drivers Ed: "cars come from the left, but sometimes, hidden behind telephone poles or street signs, small kids on bikes come from the right... watch for them...

enjoy your Volt!
Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did notice that. A few times I was surprised while making a turn by objects / cars / people. I am now used to it perhaps because I know to be on the lookout in areas.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hi All....New to this , but wanted to know if anyone finds the front windshield support on both sides kind of thick and cuts out the view a bit? That's really my only complaint with this wonderful car! I know the support holds a airbag but ..maybe they could make it smaller...?
Welcome to the forum, Volt D'Mour! This is only your first post, and I already learned something from you! I didn't know those pillars had airbags in them. I thought they were just for support.

Anyway, just as an FYI, nothing is missing from your hatchback trunk. Eventually you will ask about that. The triangle and first aid kit molded openings are for the Europeean models or something. Enjoy the Volt and keep on reading and posting!

·
2,358 Posts
Yes the front windshield pillars (a.k.a. A-pillars in automotive speak) are a bit thick. It's a problem in a lot of modern cars because of the need to meet safety standards for side impact and roof crush strength. They could be improved by reshaping them. Based on the photos that have surfaced of the new Volt due out next year, it looks like that will be addressed.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have seen this issue raised a lot, but they have never bothered me a bit.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Be especially careful of pedestrians and bicyclists riding on the sidewalk approaching from the right.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Volt D'Mour! This is only your first post, and I already learned something from you! I didn't know those pillars had airbags in them. I thought they were just for support.

The A pillars don't have airbags, they're in the headliner. It's just marked on the A pillar to warn you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would agree that the A-pillars are one of my few complaints about the Volt - in my town (Vancouver), pedestrians are de facto rulers of the road; if they decide to jaywalk, it's the driver's responsibility to avoid them.

I've nearly taken out several of them crossing unexpectedly from my left, completely hidden in the blind spot created by the A-pillar until they're literally directly in front of me. It's a particular issue at night; combine the pedestrian-can-do-no-wrong attitude with the fact that most of them seem to expect to be seen without ever looking where they're going, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I've taken to simply expecting pedestrians to stride out directly in front of me without so much as a glance around them, and I take extra care to lean forward a foot or so in my seat so I can see that area as I go around corners, especially at night. This is a pretty big inconvenience, causing me to jerk around in my seat almost constantly at times, but it's certainly better than the alternative.

And if I can rant a little, aren't pedestrians supposed to make eye contact with the drivers of approaching vehicles before starting to cross, so they know they've been spotted? I ask because although that's the way I was brought up, apparently the folks I've almost flattened don't feel the same way; they obviously never made eye contact with me until the moment I nearly ran them over, and inevitably they give me the stare of death once I come to a screeching halt three feet away from them. Really? That's my fault? Shouldn't they have a tiny little bit of responsibility to pay attention to what's going on around them?

/rant.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The A pillar is that large because of the fact that the car when upside-down has to support its own weight, not crushing the people in it. I know the first time I got in the Volt, the A-pillar looked enormous the first 2 minutes. After that moment, I don't even notice it anymore.
And yes, the A-pillar is not having any airbag in it. See here the disposition of the airbags in the Volt.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
And if I can rant a little, aren't pedestrians supposed to make eye contact with the drivers of approaching vehicles before starting to cross, so they know they've been spotted? I ask because although that's the way I was brought up, apparently the folks I've almost flattened don't feel the same way; they obviously never made eye contact with me until the moment I nearly ran them over, and inevitably they give me the stare of death once I come to a screeching halt three feet away from them. Really? That's my fault? Shouldn't they have a tiny little bit of responsibility to pay attention to what's going on around them?

/rant.
But that would mean they'd have to put down their cellphones. ;)

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
The thick a pillars make it a very safe car.
The A pillars are thick, the B pillars are thick, the roofline is low, and the belt line is very high, to the point that opening the windows and placing my elbow on the ledge feels too high for my shoulder and the distance between my elbow and my hand is too long to grasp the roof. Test drive in a Subaru CrossTrek XV and you will see a world of difference in visibility.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would agree that the A-pillars are one of my few complaints about the Volt - in my town (Vancouver), pedestrians are de facto rulers of the road; if they decide to jaywalk, it's the driver's responsibility to avoid them.

I've nearly taken out several of them crossing unexpectedly from my left, completely hidden in the blind spot created by the A-pillar until they're literally directly in front of me. It's a particular issue at night; combine the pedestrian-can-do-no-wrong attitude with the fact that most of them seem to expect to be seen without ever looking where they're going, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I've taken to simply expecting pedestrians to stride out directly in front of me without so much as a glance around them, and I take extra care to lean forward a foot or so in my seat so I can see that area as I go around corners, especially at night. This is a pretty big inconvenience, causing me to jerk around in my seat almost constantly at times, but it's certainly better than the alternative.

And if I can rant a little, aren't pedestrians supposed to make eye contact with the drivers of approaching vehicles before starting to cross, so they know they've been spotted?
Same rule in California. Can you be right if you hit someone and they were wrong? No.
Back to the OP. The other day, out of curiosity I sat in a 2015 LEAF. The A pillar is just as thick but even more forward. I will be using visibility as an important factor in my next lease. I hope as said earlier in the thread they addressed the problem with the upcoming Volt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've almost hit a pedestrian while making a left turn. He was in the blind spot when I stopped, and just so happened to stay there as I started to make my turn. I stopped one foot before hitting him. Needless to say, I look around the pillar now. It's not much of a hindrance, just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bob and weave so much looking around the A pillar that I feel I should be be wearing boxing gloves while I'm driving. Shopping centers are more problematic because they can't hear you and you can't see them... unless you bob and weave..

·
Registered
3,798 Posts

/rant.

These days many pedestrians are staring at their smart phones instead looking where they are going. Distracted pedestrians getting to be as big a problem as the drivers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The A pillar is that large because of the fact that the car when upside-down has to support its own weight, not crushing the people in it. I know the first time I got in the Volt, the A-pillar looked enormous the first 2 minutes. After that moment, I don't even notice it anymore.
And yes, the A-pillar is not having any airbag in it. See here the disposition of the airbags in the Volt.
Thanks. Interesting link showing the airbags' placement when deployed. But what is that big lifesaver looking-thing in the bottom right-hand corner, outside of the car, that looks like something floating in my pool? It has a number 8 on it. Where does that go in the car?

·
4,877 Posts
Hello. Yes, they are kind of thick, though this is common with new cars. The ever-stricter crash test standards cause the pillars to increase in size.

I have seen this issue raised a lot, but they have never bothered me a bit.
Ditto.

·
Registered
255 Posts
During the second week of ownership, I almost hit a pedestrian turning left because the A-pillar is so wide that she remained blocked from my view until the last moment. Needless to say, I was embarrassed and she was freaked out. I've learned to check around the pillar before making turns now.

Also, the B-pillar is also extraordinarily wide so when shoulder checking the driver side, I actually have to look around it as well.

I came across a red Volt the other day and while I was passing it, I looked over to see who the driver was. At first, it looked like nobody was driving the car because the guy had his seat so far back that his seating position was where the B-pillar was. Since the pillar is so wide, you can't see him from the side view. LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts