GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Maryland but spend much of my time in Virginia (actually pretty close to the legendary Ari). Virginia has a system where they install portable drive-by emissions monitors on popular roadways in several counties. As you drive by them (say an off-ramp on the interstate) they actually sniff your emissions and take a picture of your license plate. The idea is that if you're really a polluter, you'll be notified before your normal yearly inspection that you have to get your car fixed in 30 days. Yay. And if your car passes the roadside sniffers, you don't have to take it in for testing (but of course you still have to pay the same fee. Boo).

So, whenever I drive by one in my Volt (always on electric) I figure I'm probably freaking out the poor little sniffer and maybe causing it to recalibrate it's little brain.

Here in VA, my car is powered almost a third by nuclear energy. Maybe that's why it glows, making it so easy to spot in a parking lot.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yeah there was one of those set up for a couple weeks near my office - I thought the same thing while driving through and the reading is '0'

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The idea is that if you're really a polluter, you'll be notified before your normal yearly inspection that you have to get your car fixed in 30 days.

Here in VA, my car is powered almost a third by nuclear energy.
Too bad they don't have sniffers and a similar law for the coal-fired power plants...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Too bad they don't have sniffers and a similar law for the coal-fired power plants...
Actually, they do! Called continuous emissions monitoring system. All power plants that were in operation when I retired in 2008 were using these systems for a number of years. There were exemptions for peaking units that only run infrequently, don't know if they still are exempt or not.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm also in Virginia.
Roughly 1/2 of my Volt's juice is coming from solar now that my employer has kicked off their "solar farm" but I do try to remember that the other 1/2 of my "exhaust" is now coming from the Clover Power Station in Hallifax. A clean coal plant for sure... but still a coal plant.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Roughly 1/2 of my Volt's juice is coming from solar now that my employer has kicked off their "solar farm" but I do try to remember that the other 1/2 of my "exhaust" is now coming from the Clover Power Station in Hallifax. A clean coal plant for sure... but still a coal plant.
I feel fortunate to live in British Columbia Canada where essentially all our electricity is hydroelectric.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm also in Virginia.
What ever happened to Surrey and that other VEPCO nuke? When I graduated from College my intention was to work for VEPCO nuclear operations but that 2nd plant kept being put off and off and then 3 Mile Island happened and...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
What ever happened to Surrey and that other VEPCO nuke? When I graduated from College my intention was to work for VEPCO nuclear operations but that 2nd plant kept being put off and off and then 3 Mile Island happened and...
The Surry power plant is on the opposite side of the state near Norfolk, I'm in the Shenandoah Valley right by West Virginia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts