GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased the rear seat storage barrier for our 2013 Volt with leather seats. Some of you may not realize that this barrier is made for 2012 and earlier Volts and a change in the rear seat configuration/armrest for 2013 Volts with leather make this a problematic install. I knew this when I ordered it, but still wanted to see how it fit. I think it still fits Volts with cloth seats, but I'm not sure on that.

I hope the video makes the problem a bit clearer. One thing I didn't mention is if you decide to use the barrier with the armrest, the armrest lid does not open all the way to allow full access. It does open partially, however and you can get to the things inside, so for me this is not a big deal.

How this affects you may vary by how you're using your Volt. Both our children are long since grown and we have no grandchildren (yet). So the rear seat will be unoccupied 99% of the time. I don't find the rear seat very inviting, but we bought the Volt with the knowledge the back seat would almost never be occupied.

I discussed this with my wife and she thinks it looks ok and feels most people will never notice it, so we've decided to keep it and install it with the armrest remaining in place. I invite you to post your opinion. Thanks for watching my video. (I'm sorry about the quality and the camera shadows, but I was trying to get enough light to illuminate a relatively dark interior.)

-Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWMElbQ6i2Y

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hi Joe. Interesting problem. I agree with you that it doesn't look great. I also agree with your wife that neither you nor anyone else will ever notice it. If you know you'll be taking some folks on a longer drive you can always just pull the storage barrier out. Since you have it I'd put it in and see if it drives you nuts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a 2012 Volt and bought the "barrier" and liked it very much. My car was in an accident, so I replaced it with a 2013 Volt...and have the same issue. I don't like at all how the barrier looks with the arm rest, so I just don't use my barrier anymore. Also, if you use it and find that you have to remove the barrier frequently, it will eventually start damaging the back of the seats. Velcro constantly be ripped away looks very bad after a while.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
GM needs to slightly modify the barrier so that it is a few inches shorter and it fits correctly. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I installed the barrier with the arm rest in place. I compressed the pocket on the barrier so that it would fit in the same position as without the arm rest. It makes the pocket almost useless, but I didn't have a use for it anyway, and I like the look with the barrier and the arm rest.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Joe, thank you for the excellent quality video, and concise explanation.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Actually, if the barrier cuts down noise, I would go with that if no one rides in the back. when they do, put the arm rest in. I would get a little piece of carpet or something like that that matches and cover the holes in the center console to make it look nice. I think I am going to order me up one of those center barriers...unless someone has a spare black leather one...

garyg

·
Registered
589 Posts
The cloth seat 2013 Volts don't come with an armrest, but I just couldn't justify the price they were asking for for the barrier.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Actually, if the barrier cuts down noise, I would go with that if no one rides in the back. when they do, put the arm rest in. I would get a little piece of carpet or something like that that matches and cover the holes in the center console to make it look nice. I think I am going to order me up one of those center barriers...unless someone has a spare black leather one...
Order from here. It's much cheaper than from GM/Chevy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been there, documented that (back at the end of September/beginning of October). Check it out for yourself.
Yes, I read that thread before I ordered, and thanks for the posting. I just decided to make a video to re-inforce what you already presented and show how it actually installs. There are various opinions about the issue on this and other threads. I'm probably keeping this since my wife, who is rather picky, doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If this was my Volt, with the armrest installed, those few inches that the barrier sticks up would block the angle of view to the hatch windows, especially the one under the spoiler when looking backwards. What if you put Velcro on the back side of the barrier and installed it backwards ? I know it defeats the purpose of the pocket for interior storage, but at least it fills in the gap between the seats and the top of the barrier aligns better with the top of the seats. You can use the pocket for storage, albeit facing the rear.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Order from here. It's much cheaper than from GM/Chevy.
That's where I ordered it from. It specifically says for 2013 Chevy Volt and shows leather seats, so somebody is sleeping on the job. It also says "This product was added to our catalog on Saturday 30 March, 2013." Back to the Future! BTW, if this product is leather, then cows are made out of vinyl.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Good video, GM should have made an ingenious center armrest that folds upward on a hinge that doubles as a pocket when in a vertical position. I like the center barrier myself.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Geez, if someone has a nice spare, used one they are not using anymore, I would be prepared to offer $35. Plus shipping to Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
9 Posts
I removed the "pouch" portion of the barrier from the "barrier" portion of the barrier and I'm very happy with it. I didn't need the pouch for storage and really only cared about having a barrier b/w the cabin and cargo areas. The pouch is just sown onto the barrier so it is very easy to remove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts